Adult SFS with only 1 1/2 inch of tail

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

Debra
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Adult SFS with only 1 1/2 inch of tail

Postby Debra » Sat May 12, 2012 9:57 pm

I have been volunteering with a rehab group here in south carolina. I recently picked up an adult male SFS who had been caught in a glue trap. In order to free him the vet pulled his tail out of the glue but the hair stayed behind. He has been staying with my flyers and seems to have healed nicely except the tail apparently was dead and fell off. Now all he has about and inch and a half of tail.

My question is, "Should I release him back into the wild?" I always thought that if they didn't have a tail they wouldn't be able to glide and get away from predators in the wild. Now the head of my wildlife group is telling me he should be released. He isn't any trouble and gets along with my non-releasables. I just want to know if he will be able to survive in the wild.
Owned by Dinky the flying furball!!

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Adult SFS with only 1 1/2 inch of tail

Postby Joan » Mon May 14, 2012 12:12 am

Sounds as if his tail got degloved. It happens in the wild too. A flyer will lose his tail to save his life like many lizzards do. He will likely adjust his flying to compensate for the lack of tail.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Beverly
NFSA Member

Postby Beverly » Fri May 18, 2012 7:10 am

For future reference, when trying to remove a living critter from those horrid :oops: sticky tape situations, try some Skin-So-Soft bath oil, to loosen the critter, hair and all, from the sticky tape. Once loosened, you can remove the excess oil from the critter by wiping them down with a dab of Dawn liquid dish soap on a water-saturated cotton ball. I've had occasion to help a little brown bat that got stuck on a stable-hung fly tape, and this method worked well. Naturally, I wore tough leather gloves, and was particularly careful, with the :evilbat: LBB. (Now, I hang the fly tapes in a :idea: 'cage' - flies can get to the tape - but bats, etc., cannot.)
{D {D {D Lots of Acorns to you, from
Beverly and the Denizens of
The Den Drey at Phantom Farm
What the world needs now are MORE SQUIRRELS! Then there would not be so many NUTS running around loose!

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri May 18, 2012 12:10 pm

Beverly's advice is good to pass along to this vet. He/she could also try using peanut butter (as in removing gum from a child's hair) and the flyer will gladly do all the clean up. :multi:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Beverly
NFSA Member

Postby Beverly » Fri May 18, 2012 12:20 pm

Yup! Joan's idea =D> will go over well, with flyers! I'd forgotten #-o 'bout the peanut butter trick ... I might just have to see how effective PB is, on the 'sticky fly tape' glue - but I do know that Avon's SsS works on just 'bout any adhesive ... I've even used it to get 'Liquid Nails' and roofing cement off my hands ... works like a charm (sorta makes me worry 'bout the idea :oops: of using it in a bath, 'tho ...)
{D {D {D Lots of Acorns to you, from

Beverly and the Denizens of

The Den Drey at Phantom Farm

What the world needs now are MORE SQUIRRELS! Then there would not be so many NUTS running around loose!

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri May 18, 2012 12:28 pm

Beverly, we are counting on your PN/Fly tape experiment results! I know the lengths you will do to add to Flying Squirrel data base of knowledge! =D> Maybe try on your own hair instead of subjecting some poor critter to to uninformed clinical trials. :twisted:

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”