Overheating?

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Overheating?

Postby Nativeprincess » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:16 pm

Has anyone witnessed their flyer overheating or "heat dumping"?

I've seen Ya'ya lying completely on her belly all splayed out a couple of times in the last month, usually when it's warm out. Normally, she gets up quick when the lights come and scampers off but last night she was lying completely flat and didn't care if the light was on/off/or sideways, she wasn't moving. This afternoon I came into check on her and she was hanging mostly out of the pouch, panting, and warm to the touch.

It's been much hotter than normal here and we just moved to a hotter part of the state where it's been 90+ regularly and we've had a few 100 days but inside it's never been more than 80-85. I figured their natural habitat must get warmer than this regularly, but then again, she's never lived in her natural habitat. Do you think she's having trouble adjusting? This is her first summer.

Any ideas on how to keep her cool? The surface on our metal table is pretty cool so I put her nest pouch on it and places a towel over everything. She was quick to come out and make a nest directly on the surface.

Is this normal or is she just pampered?

Laurak
Flying Furball
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Overheating?

Postby Laurak » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:12 am

I don't know what the symptoms of overheating are, but if you want to keep her cooler, I have seen these in stores:

http://www.carealotpets.com/products/su ... _5430.aspx

It's just a granite rock that stays cool naturally, so it's something the pet can climb onto to stay cool. They are marketed towards chinchillas.

I am having the opposite problem - it is getting colder here, so Momo has decided that warming her cold paws ON MY BELLY is the best solution! :twisted:

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:59 am

Some flyer will just lay out like that and it's funny to see. viewtopic.php?f=34&t=3112&p=25082&hilit=hanging+out#p25082 Adult flyers have heat regulating systems that automatically adjust their temperature. I'm in Florida and our flyers adjust to extreme heat. The panting might be ultrasonic communication. If she's eating OK, I wouldn't worry.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby Nativeprincess » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:13 pm

Yeah, she's eating fine. I guess I'm just not use to seeing her out during the day, but then again, I'm not normally home.
That pic was great!!
I'll look into the rock thing just for kicks.
Thanks!

Anne27
Baby Flyer

Postby Anne27 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:28 pm

When gray squirrels do this, we call it pancaking. It's just a way they sometimes like to sleep or rest. I live just down the road from Joan here in Florida and am a state
licensed rehabilitater, so am familiar with both flyers and gray squirrels.

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”