broke back leg?

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

Shannonriver
Baby Flyer
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

broke back leg?

Postby Shannonriver » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:18 pm

Just went in to give my babies a treat & my little boy Rikki's back leg isnt working (it almost looks like it maybe broken, just dangling/hanging) he is eating fine took an almond sliver & treats from me but doesnt want to move to much. Any ideas? Never had to take them to a vet and I dont think there are any around Tavares, Fl that do SFS. I am hoping maybe he just hurt himself jumping, they usually have free roam in my bedroom, but I am putting him in his cage when I go to bed (for now he is curled up in my shirt)until I can find a vet. Why do things like this always seem to happen on the weekend. He was completely fine last nite.
Can a vet even do anything for a broken leg?
Worried mama :(

Shannonriver
Baby Flyer

Re: broke back leg?

Postby Shannonriver » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:35 pm

Ok, Ive calmed down a little & read the post on broken bones & MBD. Rikki is going on lock down & I will be going to pet store tomorrow to get more vitiamins. I dont think it is MBD because my baby girl Dee is running around like a crazy girl as usual, but do I need to keep her locked out of cage away from Rikki. They always sleep togather but I am sure she is not going to be happy if I put her in lock down with Rikki.
Ugh, freaking out worse than I did with my own children!!!!

Laurak
Flying Furball

Postby Laurak » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:45 am

I'm no expert but I think it'd be a good idea to take him to a vet, at least so you can get xrays to see what is going on. What kind of a wheel do you have? I know certain kinds (that have bars across the front) can cause injuries like that. Or he could have just fallen and hurt himself... I'm not sure. Can you take a picture and post it?

I know Florida is flyer friendly so you should be able to find someone to look at him. Even if a vet says no, ask if they can refer you to someone who treats exotics.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:38 pm

Broken bones heal fast in flyers. Vets know little about wildlife unless they have taken wildlife electives or work a lot with rodents. Seeking out a flyer rehabber is better. Flyers will favor an injured limb until it heals. It's unlikely that he has MBD as only one limb is effected. I'd confine him to a smaller cage to keep him less active and keep an eye on improvement. Additional protein helps with healing. Keep him isolated from her just so he's less active for awhile.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Shannonriver
Baby Flyer

Postby Shannonriver » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:29 pm

Laurak,
The wheel in their cage is a solid wheel, but they are never in the cage unless I put them in when I am cleaning or want to leave bedroom door open.
Joan,
Is there a contact list for rehabber on website? I put Dee in cage with Rikki last nite (she was PISSED & I felt VERY guilty)
Not quite sure how I am going to get a picture until my daughter gets home on Monday ( I dont have enough hands) but I am willing to drive anywhere needed if you think its a good idea to have rehabber look at him. Boiling some eggs now.
Thanks, Shannon

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:21 pm

Shannonriver wrote:... Is there a contact list for rehabber on website?

See: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1308
Most likely, observation is the best approach right now.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

DinNorman
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby DinNorman » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:34 pm

Broken bones do not need to be handled as emergencies, so you so have time to react to injuries. Many breaks do heal themselves in 4-6 weeks with no intervention. An Xray will help but dont get anxious about dealing with it.
David
David

Anne27
Baby Flyer

Postby Anne27 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:21 am

Your baby boy should be better with rest, brakes heal pretty fast and while he might now be unhappy-cage time for the next several weeks is best. Cage living will give that leg a chance to heal. As for added Calcium to help go to your local Walmart and pick up some yummy flavored children's Tums. The ones what have 500/750 dose. Flyers love them and they are the perfect dose. Place one Tums a week out for each flyer-removes a lot of worry about MBD and will speed bone healing.

Shannonriver
Baby Flyer

Postby Shannonriver » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:15 pm

Anne,
Thanks so much, going to get some now, fingers crossed they will eat them. I tried the yogourt yummies....Fail! They do have they cuttlebone & mineral block (shaped like a pineapple)in their cage but, I havent seen where they chew on it very often.

As for the break it looks like it's in (what I would consider)the ankle, it just hangs. :(

Shannon

Shannonriver
Baby Flyer

Postby Shannonriver » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:38 pm

Anne,

Got the tums.......Then got the "look" Rikki & Dee, then the cold shoulder.....Picky little shits! But I love'em!

Shannon

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”