Dropping weight

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Dropping weight

Postby Nativeprincess » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:48 pm

I weigh Ya'ya about every 2 weeks just to monitor health etc. I figure the first sign of her getting sick or having a problem might be weight loss so I tend to keep regular tabs on it. She tended to hang around 64/65 grams and was fairly stable (she's only a yr old so I can't say I have *that* much data)

However, we moved a few months ago and looking back at my records, that's when she started to drop weight. She went from 65g to 63g to 61g to 59g, and now is at 57g.
This is a little worrisome, particularly since it's fall- shouldn't she be bulking up? (Yeah, ok, CA doesn't really *have* fall, but still)

Diet:
10 different varieties of nuts (and she knows how to get into the 3 lb box)
Nut&Berry seed mix
Veggies: 3 kinds of mushrooms, 3 kinds of squash, kale, broccoli, spinach, avocado, tomato, carrot, sweet potato (the mix rotates day by day)
Meal worms- 5 a day

I've started supplementing with Esilibac to hopefully get some weight on and I'm upping her Avocado frequency/amount but I'm a little worried about why she'd dropping in the first place.

My only theory, is possibly bedbugs? Our county is infested, we have them in our apartment, and they seem to be located in her cage area. They are known to feed on mice when humans aren't available, and a small squirrel is not that far off. I know this sounds crazy but has anyone ever heard of this being an issue?

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Dropping weight

Postby Joan » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:17 pm

As long as she is eating and is active, I wouldn't worry. A full grown wild Flying Squirrel will weigh only 1 to 2 ounces. Tom Risch, PhD from the Dept of Biology at Arkansas State University, states that in the wild, "Of the about 2,000 squirrels that I caught over the years, only a very few were ever over a 100 grams. So in the wild, a 3 oz squirrel is huge and a 4 oz squirrel is unheard of."
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby Nativeprincess » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:52 pm

Well that makes me feel better. At 57g she's right around 2oz so long as she doesn't drop too much more it's all good.
Thank you!

Laurak
Flying Furball
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Laurak » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:05 pm

I think if you ever start to get worried too much, try feeding her some avocado. I believe it is supposed to be fatty (the good kind of fats!) and caloric. I feed it to Momo almost every day and it makes her fur nice and shiny, and she loves it.

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”