Getting concerned about my little one

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

Peanut18
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Getting concerned about my little one

Postby Peanut18 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:40 am

I have a flyer and she has developed a bald spot on the top of her head. The skin underneath is not red or irritated, she is acting normal, eating and drinking. The spot has been there for a month. Her diet is as follows: mushrooms nightly, half a slice of apple nightly, 10 waxworms nightly, and then a choice of lemon, cucumber, avocado, and carrots (occasional).
I carry her around in a pouch often and she doesn't seem to mind unless its late because she is ready to run around.
Please help
Thanks
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (104.13 KiB) Viewed 2672 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (73.42 KiB) Viewed 2672 times

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Getting concerned about my little one

Postby Joan » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:07 am

Is there anything she can be rubbing her head against ... like the hole of a nest box when entering?
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Peanut18

Postby Peanut18 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:31 am

It is possible, I thought her nesting hole was big enough but I took it out just in case. I will post a picture of her in it and you can give me your opinion, thanks!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 2667 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 2667 times

Peanut18

Postby Peanut18 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:39 am

You know, my boyfriend just made a good point, she has this little blue house and its stuffed with fabric, I wonder if she might be rubbing on it when she goes in and out of it because she has to wedge herself in there? I will post a picture of the house and what it's stuffed with
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 2667 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.3 MiB) Viewed 2667 times

Laurak
Flying Furball

Postby Laurak » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:49 am

I think it could be possible.... also if that coconut shell is the only nest box she has, IMO you need to build her an additional, bigger nest box. I think the coconut shell is too small. Also, do you have several nest pouches available for her, so that she can have alternate beds if she wants?

Laurak
Flying Furball

Postby Laurak » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:50 am

PS- I have been commenting on your thread on TSB as well - please note the suggestion about only one HHB a day and more veggies/protein/yogurt. It's cheaper anyways - HHBs can get expensive! :)

Peanut18

Postby Peanut18 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:55 pm

Do the waxworms provide her protein? I will be sure to give her one block a day and get some more vegetables =)

Laurak
Flying Furball

Postby Laurak » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:11 pm

Yes, waxworms are a great protein source! Other ones are chicken and cooked eggs (my Momo loves grilled chicken and dehydrated chicken and scrambled eggs) - I also feed her Greek yogurt, which has a higher protein content. I think those are pretty much the main ones!

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:15 pm

Waxworms are high in fat and I only gave them to a nursing mother. This doesn't look like a diet issue unless she loses more hair and not just on the head. Since it isn't red or oozing I wouldn't worry ... look closely to see if you can see if it's growing back.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Peanut18

Postby Peanut18 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:25 pm

Some people have told me that flyers aren't supposed to have a nut mixture available at all times, I have read the other way too, any ideas on this?? Thanks

Laurak
Flying Furball

Postby Laurak » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:03 pm

I'd listen to Joan more than me - she has more experience. I actually don't feed waxworms to my girl because 1) she doesn't like them and 2) it skeeves me out (I'm bad, I know!)

As far as the seed mixture, I think people mostly warn against it just so that newbies don't think that it's the only thing they need to feed, and ignore all the other stuff. I have a little seed/nut mix that I dust with some rep-cal in Momo's cage, and I change it out every week or two. It's just in a little hamster bowl so it's not much, but it's there in case she gets hungry. I just go to a local pet store and pick up whatever looks good in the hamster aisle :) But again, I don't go it very fast at all. A small package will last me a good few months.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:10 pm

Laurak wrote:... I think people mostly warn against it just so that newbies don't think that it's the only thing they need to feed, and ignore all the other stuff.

This is very true. I also remove my seed mix for the night at supper time.

Laurak wrote:... I have a little seed/nut mix that I dust with some rep-cal

I do this too.

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”