+1 Flying Squirrel

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

spencerwolf
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

+1 Flying Squirrel

Postby spencerwolf » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:04 am

Hi, I'm new on the boards but have had a flying squirrel, Rocky (cliche I know), since late August. He's happy, loved, spoiled and was 5 weeks when I got him, so roughly 7 months old. I'll probably share more on him later.

Though there has been a question rattling around my head for awhile, and that's when I should get Rocky a friend. I know flying squirrels are social animals and even though I socialize with him a lot, I know it's not the same. Someone told me the other day that they live longer with other squirrels. Which I would love to extend his life to the fullest, as well as any other squirrel's.

So in brief I want to know:
When should I get another flying squirrel?
How old should it be? (I know younger is better for imprinting/bonding)
What gender should it be?
Do I double the cage size? (It's pretty large right now)
Where/who do I buy from?

Thanks for reading, and any advice and help you give!

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: +1 Flying Squirrel

Postby Joan » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:00 pm

spencerwolf wrote:...Someone told me the other day that they live longer with other squirrels.

I have never heard this and don't know how this could be stated as fact. I wonder if flyers are being confused with sugar gliders and I have heard this about them from glider people. In the years I have had flyers and known flyer people, solo flyers seem perfectly content alone and live as long as paired flyers.

spencerwolf wrote:...When should I get another flying squirrel?

Whenever you want, but don't expect a second to bond closely (unless it is kept separate) as it will more likely bond stronger to your first flyer.

spencerwolf wrote:...How old should it be? (I know younger is better for imprinting/bonding)

Again, that's up to you. Read up on introducing a second flyer:

spencerwolf wrote:...What gender should it be?

Opposite if you want pups. :twisted: But even that is no guarentee of them liking each other. It's as individual with flyers as it is with people.

spencerwolf wrote:...Do I double the cage size? (It's pretty large right now)

Not necessarily ... depends in how big your cage is now. It's more important to have one more nest box than the number of flyers you have. I have 2 and have 5 potential nest boxes. Some are used to hoard food in, another to escape to and eat in peace. Sometimes they sleep together, other times apart. Choice is the answer.

spencerwolf wrote:...Where/who do I buy from?

Look for a hobby breeder who is recommended by others.

Adding a second flyer: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=197
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”