UTI?

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

Laurak
Flying Furball
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

UTI?

Postby Laurak » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:01 pm

Help!

I think Momo has some sort of UTI - what can we do to help her?

We think that she has a UTI because for the past few days, she has been peeing very weirdly - she will just stop whatever she is doing or wherever she is, and piddle for a few seconds (not much ever comes out) then move on. I have caught her doing this several times - it's really not like her. Usually if she pees, it is all at once and she normally contains it to her cage. This intermittent urination has us worried.

Any ideas for how we can treat her?

Here are the meds I have in-house:
-Cephalexin, 500 mg capsules
-Cipro, 250 mg caps
-Trimethoprim, 100 mg caps
-Cranberry extract gel vitamins, plus Vit C, 40 mg of Vit C per softgel, and 4200 mg equivalent of cranberry fruit per softgel.

Joan
Site Admin

Re: UTI?

Postby Joan » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:12 pm

She's probably just marking territory. You can actually get a UTI test strips at the drugstore and test some of the urine. I did this with Chuck once (he was having no symptoms) and his values turned out as normal with the human range; so I think an abnormal would show up too. The strips also pick up trace blood in the urine.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Laurak
Flying Furball

Postby Laurak » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:39 pm

Thanks Joan! Good point - I have actually used those before!

As far as symptoms, she has also been lethargic (in her pouch a lot) and has been trying to lick her genitals quite a bit too - it really looks like she is uncomfortable. It looks like she is trying, but can only get a little pee to come out at a time. She will pee on her cage, then five minutes later, do the dribble pee thing again. The way she is acting is really out of character for her.

I got some cranberries from the store, and am also (very, very carefully, with good instructions from an experienced squirrel rehabber) dosing her with low doses of Cipro. I hope she feels better soon :)

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:03 pm

I would give her the cranberries, but no drugs without definitive signs of infection.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:33 am

How is she doing? It could also be that she's in heat and trying to attract a male. :wink:

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:17 pm

Any follow-up?

Laurak
Flying Furball

Postby Laurak » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:22 pm

Hey Joan!

Sorry for some reason your post on Tuesday didn't show up on "new posts" when I logged in. Ah, computers.

Momo is doing fine :) Thank you! I did end up giving her very low doses of Cipro for a few days (under the tutelage of a very experienced rehabber) and she got better very quickly. She is off all meds now and back to her usual squirrely self :)

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”