Need Exercise Wheel Advice

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

RockyMom
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Need Exercise Wheel Advice

Postby RockyMom » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:19 pm

Hi, I currently have a Super Pet Run-A Round Exercise Wheel (Picture: http://pet.imageg.net/graphics/product_ ... 00x300.jpg) and my southern flying squirrel loves it. He likes to get it up to speed and then jump out the side onto the side of his cage. The problem is that he has gotten his tail caught on it twice now (that I'm aware of) and has lost the last 2 vertebrae on his tail (even though it is supposed to be tail safe), which is obviously a major concern. I would love to purchase one of the Stealth Wheels or Wodent Wheels and would have before, but I tried the Ware® Stainless Steel Exercise Wheel (Picture: http://pet.imageg.net/graphics/product_ ... 00x300.jpg) that he has had since he was 2 months old which has a similar design to the Stealth Wheel and Wodent Wheel and he hasn't touched it. Has anyone had any trouble with their flyer getting use to the Stealth wheel? Also, would you suggest the Stealth Wheel or the Magnum Wheel for a Southern Flying Squirrel? I like that the Magnum is a little wider, but wasn't sure if it was too big for my little guy. He doesn't chew right now, but that doesn't mean he won't in the future.

Thanks for any insight,
Tara
(Rocky's Mom)

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Need Exercise Wheel Advice

Postby Joan » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:23 am

I have 2 Steaths in my permanent cage and a smaller one in a travel cage. I think you will be pleased with them as they are "home" built and the builders easy to work with. Go directly to their site: http://www.atticworx.com/atticworxproducts.htm
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Laurak
Flying Furball

Postby Laurak » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:54 am

Absolutely get the Stealth Wheel! It is the best one.

Anything that has a bar across the front of it (like the one that you have now) can be very dangerous, as you have noted. Squirrels have broken their backs on those. I'd suggest that you remove it immediately from the cage, if you haven't done so.

You will not be disappointed with the Stealth Wheel :)

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby Nativeprincess » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:11 am

Honestly, I can't rave about the stealth wheel enough. It is by far the most well used item in my girl's cage. I keep saying that one of these days I'll hook a generator to it, Ya'ya must put a million miles on it a night!

Super quiet, very sturdy, and provides hours of fun for her. I got the 2nd largest model and she has a ton of room, but Ya'ya likes to really get it going with large leaps so I'd get the biggest one if I were doing it over again.

Laurak
Flying Furball

Postby Laurak » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:35 pm

Momo running on her stealth wheel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSbkI-psZv4

RockyMom

Postby RockyMom » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:11 pm

Thanks for all the advice! I got the stealth wheel and Rocky took right to it, he loves it! I tried to get a video, but every time he sees me he comes over to the side of the cage, lol

Rocky is actually doing the same thing Momo is doing in your video except he has a raspberry instead of an almond (or whatever type of nut Momo is holding), lol

Thank you!

Tara and Rocky

Laurak
Flying Furball

Postby Laurak » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:28 am

I'm glad he likes it! Aren't they such a hoot? It's like "I have food and now I must run in my wheel with it in celebration. Catch ya in a minute!" *run run run*

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”