Massive Aggression Issues

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

Laurak
Flying Furball
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Massive Aggression Issues

Postby Laurak » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:45 am

Starting about a month ago, Momo has been suddenly extremely aggressive. She is becoming a hand attacker - she inexplicably will pounce on my or my fiance's hand and will bite hard like crazy. We have tried giving her more attention, less attention, more treats, less treats, I even pulled out everything from her cage yesterday and cleaned it with soap and baking soda, and wiped down the wooden things with lemon juice, and that didn't stop her at all. She is particularly territorial and aggressive around her cage.

My fiance is actually scared of her at this point and doesn't really like to be around her. If she jumps on him, he gets really anxious because he knows that she is going to bite him at some point. She has even bitten him on the face multiple times now.

When I was cleaning her cage, she also bit through the cleaning gloves several times.

What can we do? What is going on? We are getting married in three weeks, and then are going on our honeymoon the week after. I am having a friend look after her, but if this keeps up my friend will have to just change out her food when she is asleep and not give her any out of cage time, and we'll be gone for 10 days.

This may sound like a silly question, but I am truly worried and searching for answers on her, she got out for a day about 11 months ago. We were able to re-capture her and we washed her down and checked her over, and didn't see any injuries. Is it even at all possible that she could have contracted rabies? Is there anything (like a bat?) that could have bit her and we wouldn't have seen the bite? Would it take 11 months to manifest? I am only asking because this aggression is totally out of the blue, and it is bad. We have no idea what is going on, or how to fix it. Help please.... we are considering the possibility of giving her to a rehabber for eventual release if this keeps up...

Laurak
Flying Furball

Re: Massive Aggression Issues

Postby Laurak » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:52 am

One thing I forgot to add - at the beginning we were thinking that perhaps she is going into heat for the spring, since her nipples and genitals have become pinker and more pronounced. But this has been going on for over a month! (Her nipples are still a little swollen). Would it be spring heat for this long?

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:17 am

She sounds just like a PMSing flyer. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6581
I wouldn't worry about rabies as any animal with that would likely kill a flyer with a bite. Even a bat. There have only been 4 recorded cases of rabies transmitted to human by flyers since the CDC has been keeping statistics! And that was from 2 flyers. One case where 3 boys got bitten by the same flyer in FL and the other a girl in ALA
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Laurak
Flying Furball

Postby Laurak » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:20 am

Thanks Joan,

I didn't think it could be rabies (since I didn't see any bites on her, and that was a year ago now) but I am just scraping around for answers... I was kind of hoping it was heat but I didn't know how long that could really last.

She sure is a b*tchy PMSing flyer. She has a 30 year old grown man terrified of her :-O

Laurak
Flying Furball

Postby Laurak » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:24 am

This is a photo of her "undercarriage" taken about a week and a half ago. She looks pretty similar still.
Attachments
IMG_0814.JPG
IMG_0814.JPG (182.99 KiB) Viewed 1816 times

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby Nativeprincess » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:26 pm

That's what the underside of Mica looked like when we first got her and she was a terror. She did seem to get better once that passed, but she had aggression issues to start with.

I've heard from others that a little after turning a year old, flyers can start to have aggression issues. Now that I think on it, much of those stories were from female flyers, I wonder if there is a difference.

Anyways, Ya'ya has (in the last few months) started to get a little aggressive in her cage. She'd throw herself at me, latch on to my hand, and began squabbling/flailing around in a clear "Get of my lawn!" fashion. It's honestly really terrifying but, at least in Ya'yas case, she hasn't actually bitten me. Lots of scratching and *pretending* to bite but its almost like.....well, it's almost like she doesn't know how. I'm just gonna count my blessings becasue I know these suckers can draw blood. We noticed that she was more likely to do this if we had left for a weekend, weren't spending enough time with her out of her cage, or if she had woken up in her cage. Oh! and right after I get out of the shower is a *huge* No-No.

We've had great luck taking her out of her nest around 4pm and having her fall back asleep in our shirt, when she wakes up she's as sweet as can be (We definitely do this if we've been away for the weekend). I've also taken to studying in my room with the lights off and a small desk lamp and that's improved things. Finally, the few times she's just been impossible about her cage, I've given it a good scrub and she settles back to normal. I take all her stored nuts and treats and have her start all over again. So far, that has never failed to fix it and even helped a *ton* with Mica's issues (who, frankly, I wouldn't go near without gloves and a mask).
I suspect it's a territorial thing so I tried it on the idea that if I remove her sent/territory and the things she is protecting, she'll settle down. I don't know if that's why it worked, but I've had good success.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:09 pm

Nativeprincess wrote:... Now that I think on it, much of those stories were from female flyers, I wonder if there is a difference.

Most definitely! Females do this more often than males. My Chuck had one bad episode around 12 years ago ... none since.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”