Possible Urinary Tract Infection?

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Possible Urinary Tract Infection?

Postby Nativeprincess » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:39 pm

Ya'ya has been a bit lethargic in the evenings, sleeping till well past sundown when she is normally up at 7:30/8. Normally, when she pees, she dumps it all in one go but lately she's been going in spurts and leaving little urine trails as she drags herself across a surface.

It sounded like a possible UTI and so I bought some test strips at the drug store (thanks for the idea Joan!) and tested her urine. She tested positive for leukocytes (whit blood cells/sign of infection) but negative for nitrites (waste from some types of bacteria). There was also a little bloody mucus left on the test strip.

So, she either has a UTI or she menstruating. (do they do that? Isn't this the wrong time of year?)

I'm going to take her into the vet tomorrow but does anyone have any advice or ideas until then?

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Possible UTI?

Postby Joan » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:04 pm

The leukocytes concern me the most, so it's good you are seeing your vet. He will also be able to inspect her vulva better to see if the bloody mucus is coming from there. I never really saw this with my female in heat so I'd be interested in what your vet says.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball

Postby Nativeprincess » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:15 pm

The vet appointment went well. I can not believe she didn't bite me once for restraining her during the exam. She was soooooo angry :bad-words:

There was defiantly blood coming from the vulva but since the urethra and vagina are so close, it was hard to tell if it was from one or the other or if perhaps it was just from her over grooming the area due to irritation.

The vet wanted to do a urine culture to make sure the right antibiotic was given, but since it needed to be uncontaminated by fur etc, they wanted to place a needle into her bladder. I was super uncomfortable with the idea of putting her under and doing it without anesthesia seemed cruel so I suggested a broad-spectrum AB and to play it by ear.

They have her on SMZ/TMZ so well see how that works.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:42 pm

Nativeprincess wrote:...The vet wanted to do a urine culture to make sure the right antibiotic was given, but since it needed to be uncontaminated by fur etc, they wanted to place a needle into her bladder. I was super uncomfortable with the idea of putting her under and doing it without anesthesia seemed cruel so I suggested a broad-spectrum AB and to play it by ear. ....

WOW, I sure don't blame you. Get her some cranberries to eat.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:03 pm

Bless her heart, I hope she feels better soon!
Shannon, mom to Sandy, Daisy, Jack, Zooey and three human teenagers! :)

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball

Postby Nativeprincess » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:53 am

So far, she seems to be feeling better. She is waking up earlier and running around more. I didn't see blood in her urine today and she seems to have stopped over grooming the area around her urethra.

Really glad I turned down the bladder procedure the vet suggested.

I knew for sure she was on the mend last night when I found her using the toilet paper roll as a wheel and making a nest in the huge mess she was making on the floor :evilbat:

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:37 pm

That's awesome! Glad she is getting back to normal! :)
Shannon, mom to Sandy, Daisy, Jack, Zooey and three human teenagers! :)

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:41 am

Nativeprincess wrote:...I didn't see blood in her urine today and she seems to have stopped over grooming the area around her urethra.

Looks like the irritation she was having has cleared and that was the cause of the blood. Thanks for all the follow-up info. It's a good way for all of us to learn. :D

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball

Postby Nativeprincess » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:25 am

I agree, I think much of the blood was from the irritation as well.
In case any one is interested or has to replicate this, I got a little science happy and figured I'd post my "data" ^_^

I used the CVS Urinary Tract Infection test strips and took pictures of the results before, during, and after treatment with SMZ/TMZ antibiotic.
YayaUTI.jpg
YayaUTI.jpg (108.45 KiB) Viewed 3221 times

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:30 pm

Great follow-up. Thanks for the postings

CoCoDulse
Juvie Pup

Re: Possible Urinary Tract Infection?

Postby CoCoDulse » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:04 am

What can the infection of urine?
I am of Spanish translator used

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Possible Urinary Tract Infection?

Postby Joan » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:07 pm

Bacteria that had not grown to a level that showed up on the unine test strip. The increase in the white blood cells (leukocytes) indicated the body was fighting an infection.

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”