feeding seems abnormal

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

SheepdogGal
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

feeding seems abnormal

Postby SheepdogGal » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:11 am

We have had our flyer now for 4 wks. Found her when she was only a few days old. She has been raised to this point on formula: 1pt Esbilac, 1.75 pt water, .25 cream. She is currently 26 gms Started her on a little banana, peeled apple, peeled grape, tiny bit of peanut butter 4 days ago. She is drinking water on her own, or at least playing at drinking it. Currently being fed 5x per day 1.3cc formula.
She has not been urinating and defecating as much as I would think normal, but does seem to do so on her own when she does. (Won't do that for me when she is stimulated.) She became off and on sluggish 3 days ago. When fed, she will lick formula from my finger as normal, but now stops every few seconds with mouth open and pushes my finger hard with both paws/arms simultaneously--sometimes running them down her belly while still pushing. Does this no matter how slowly I present formula. This is new behavior(not like regular kneading), and she is now doing this even when licking on her fruit minces.
I stopped formula yesterday and gave her two feedings of lytes to see if she was constipated. Victory came as two pees and multi poops. Peed and pooped agin this morning. However, she is still having what appear to me to be petite-mal type seizures (or micro-catatonia--squirrelatonia) when feeding.
Any help much appreciated!
Paranoid Squammy

Any help much appreciated

Joan
Site Admin

Re: feeding seems abnormal

Postby Joan » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:29 am

SheepdogGal wrote:... she is still having what appear to me to be petite-mal type seizures (or micro-catatonia--squirrelatonia) when feeding.

Could you describe this further? Is she "freezing" or actually convulsing some. I wouldn't worry about the elimination if she's going on her own.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

SheepdogGal

Postby SheepdogGal » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:49 am

Thanks for the reply Joan,
The baby does freeze somewhat. When taking formula from my finger, she will hold her mouth open with body mostly still, slightly curved, stiff spine for a second or so. Then comes the two handed push. Sometimes she will curl into a ball while doing this, with 3 straight armed pushes down her belly. A pause. She then goes right back to very eager feeding and regular kneading again for 4-5 seconds. This repeats for the whole feeding.
Doing this while licking on fruit is really throwing me for a loop. It is also getting fruit juice all over her fur. Bleh.

SheepdogGal

Postby SheepdogGal » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:00 pm

I would also say that this behavior just does not seem to be a response from what I would expect to be a normal feeding baby that is comfortable. Frantic enthusiasm I can understand, but not freeze, push, curl and push belly, pause--then busy feeding again.
Could this be constipation or symptom of a minor blockage? She did get a few chomps of pecan and walnut last week, before I figured out that SOFT foods should come first. She does a few pieces of Mazuri rodent chow in her house, along with a baked oak branch for climbing and gnawing.

DinNorman
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby DinNorman » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:19 pm

Not sure what to make of this or even to give you advice. I think I would just continue support for a while, making sure that she is getting enough calcium. The symptoms could be related to hypocalcemic episodes, or an idiopathic epileptiform condition.
David

SheepdogGal

Postby SheepdogGal » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:30 pm

Thanks David. I diluted her formula slightly starting yesterday evening in case hydration is part of this. Should I give her additional lytes midway between 4 hr feedings? I may cut out banana in case phos. throws off the formula cal:phos ratio. Heck aof a long shot, but until I get a better handle on what I am seeing.....? (

SheepdogGal

Postby SheepdogGal » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:36 pm

Fed her lytes at 12:00 feeding. .2cc at 2 pm.
1.3 slightly diluted formula at 15:30
.3cc lytes at 17:30
1.3cc diluted formula at 19:00. Noticed another single, black, normal shape stool in her cage. No pee spots. She was slow and slightly cool when I picked her up. Warmed her before she was fed--- I am afraid to let her go too long without nutrition. No major bloat apparent at this time.
I am at a loss as to the best course for her. Will try a little more lytes at 20:30 and monitor her thru the night as best I can--unless anyone has any better ideas.
Back to sprouting grey hairs.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:29 am

How's she doing today?
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

SheepdogGal

Postby SheepdogGal » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:57 am

Greetings Joan,
On Monday I thought we might lose her. Her body temp felt low to my hand. She was sluggish and went through the belly push motions every few swallows of formula. It took two feedings of lytes to get a good pee and poop--after which she perked up for a while. I gave her another .2cc lytes at midnight and half a peeled grape to lick on through the night for some sugar. By morning, she seemed much better and gave me a good pee immediately after her 4 am feed. She drank water from her dish several times yesterday, even with me giving her lytes (which she takes as happily as formula). Today she is on regular strength formula. Her weight yesterday morning was still 26 gm, so feedings are still 1.3cc I am keeping peeled apple and grape bits in with her full time as occupier and energy source. She is still curling and belly pushing this morning, more than yesterday, but less than on Monday. She seems brighter and more energetic, and I think she will have gained weight when I check her tonight. She looks heavier than she did on Monday. She is still not peeing as much as I think she should. There's been no pee since yesterday morning that I have found. I will continue with a little dose of lytes 2 hrs after formula unless I hear to do otherwise.
I am at a real loss as to what this mini-freeze, curling up and belly pushing is all about, but it does not look like the activity of a comfortably feeding baby to me. She is eating very well this morning, and it's almost time for her midday formula. Would you advise upping the ante with a little steamed broccoli? Fruit alone as a supplement doesn't seem too well balanced, but I am not sure how fast you introduce increasingly fibrous foods.
I really appreciate having experiences of other Squammys and Squaddys, even if we never find out what is going on with her. We made the commitment when we picked her up off the dirt---we will do our best for her. Just wish I knew what our best should be in this matter. Thanks for your support here. The story continues.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:18 pm

I'm glad to hear she's still with us. This is indeed a strange case. It's almost like she's pushing the feeding through her intestines. Is that what it looks like? The fact that she eliminates is really good. It's sounding less like seizures if this only occurs at feedings. Are you seeing it that way? She is sure lucky she has you caring for her.

SheepdogGal

Postby SheepdogGal » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:23 pm

It looks as though she is trying to work whatever is in her belly down her gut by pushing. It is only a few strokes, a pause, then she is back up and sucking noisily at the nipple. Very frustrating to not know how to make her any more comfortable that this. At least she is still eating well and runs around when awake. Time for the next feeding. We'll see how she does.

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:35 pm

Bless both of your hearts, sounds like you are doing everything you can! Just keep at it, maybe she will work it out. They are pretty resilient little boogers... :) I'm so glad she has you taking such good care of her!
Shannon, mom to Sandy, Daisy, Jack, Zooey and three human teenagers! :)

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:55 pm

Skirkpatrick74 wrote: ...They are pretty resilient little boogers... :)

This is very true. Maybe it's just something idiosyncratic to her. She seems pretty normal otherwise.

FawnLeibowitz

Postby FawnLeibowitz » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:04 am

How is she doing?

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”