Licking and Biting? Health?

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

EenyandMeeny
Baby Flyer
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Licking and Biting? Health?

Postby EenyandMeeny » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:07 pm

I noticed that my flyers (but particularly the one) are licking my skin a lot. They like to eat my cuticles, and if I have any calluses or scabs they like to pick on them. They rarely bite hard enough to make me bleed, but still it can feel a little sore sometimes. Today one of them keeps licking my face all over. Just a little concerned that they may need something? perhaps some protein? They get a tiny chestnut grub every night, and a grasshopper very occasionally, but could them eating my skin mean they are lacking something?

Just wondering... and a bit concerned. :?

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Re: Licking and Biting? Health?

Postby Nativeprincess » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:43 pm

Ya'ya loves to groom my face and lately my arms. I always assumed it was just part of the social grooming process but it's possible she's after salt. I must have the cleanest eye brows due to her. :roll:

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:24 pm

Daisy loves to chew on my toes and cuticles too. She only licks me when I have something on lay fingers like strawberries! :). Maybe she likes your lotion? I think as long as she's on the right diet, has something in her cage to chew on, and is getting the nutrients she needs, it wouldn't worry...maybe you are her salt lick! :D
Shannon, mom to Sandy, Daisy, Jack, Zooey and three human teenagers! :)

EenyandMeeny
Baby Flyer

Postby EenyandMeeny » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:40 pm

Oh thank you. That makes me feel better. They like to lick and groom each other a lot, so maybe they are just showing their affection to me too.

I don't wear lotion often, so I don't think that would be it. More recently Bumpity has been grabbing my ears and cleaning them. It tickles so much, but she won't stop! :twisted:
I am not sure, I have a salt lick in my bedroom that is for horses, but they don't touch it. Of course, I can't tell, because if they did, they wouldn't make a dent. But they don't seem interested. I guess they have it if they need it.

They seem to think they can help themselves to anything in the closet. Any stray pieces of yarn that I leave from my crocheting projects gets hoarded to their bed on top of the pillow. And if I leave acorns in my pocket and forget to take them out before putting my jacket in the closet, they find them and eat them! The only evidence is a little bit of ground acorn shell in the bottom of my pocket. :twisted:

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:06 pm

EenyandMeeny wrote:... They like to lick and groom each other a lot, so maybe they are just showing their affection to me too.

Yes, it is a bonding behavior.

EenyandMeeny wrote:... They seem to think they can help themselves to anything in the closet. :twisted:

After all, everything is theirs ... you are just allowed to live there. :twisted:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

EenyandMeeny
Baby Flyer

Postby EenyandMeeny » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:10 am

After all, everything is theirs ... you are just allowed to live there. :twisted:

Yes, yes. They are funny! :D

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”