New at this and need help with veggies.

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

FawnLeibowitz
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

New at this and need help with veggies.

Postby FawnLeibowitz » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:53 pm

Hi all. Your posts have been very helpful as I've negotiated the first few months of my flyer who I rescued as a baby. Now I'm fine tuning things and am confused about the varying information about vegetables. I've read that kale and spinach are bad for flyers and have avoided them, but I also read that they are among some of your favorites. I have the Henry blocks, but she loves fresh greens and I want to vary her from romaine and broccoli. Should I be afraid of salad mixes? She loves tearing into leaves, and I'm scared I'll poison her somehow. I've seen helpful pyramids for regular squirrels but not flyers, and I've really never run across any site with a list of banned no-no veggies. What should I do? Thanks in advance for your help. You guys have gotten me through a lot.

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Re: New at this and need help with veggies.

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:19 pm

I've tried different things with my flyers, a couple of different veggies a week, to see what they like and don't like. But I've found that something they used to like, they don't like this week or the next! They are such funny goofballs! :)

There's a list on here somewhere that has all the stuff that's good for them, I'd just stick to that. Sounds like you are doing it right though...did you try carrots and cherry tomatoes? They seem to be both Jack and Daisy's favorites. They'll only eat lettuce out of my hand! I had never heard of the spinach being bad, but I have heard not to feed them iceberg.
Shannon, mom to Sandy, Daisy, Jack, Zooey and three human teenagers! :)

Joan
Site Admin

Re: New at this and need help with veggies.

Postby Joan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:00 am

FawnLeibowitz wrote:Hi... I've read that kale and spinach are bad for flyers and have avoided them, but I also read that they are among some of your favorites.

Spinach and kale contain vit D2 which flyers are able to convert into D3 for calcium absorption. Dark green leafy veggie are excellent for flyers. Don't worry about poisoning your flyer. They have an innate knowing about what to eat or not eat. They are fussy at times as Shannon stated. Loving it one day, hating it the next. A varied diet is best.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”