Concerned about "freezing" behavior

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

Mealsy311
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Concerned about "freezing" behavior

Postby Mealsy311 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:45 pm

I would like some information...on at least 3 occasions within the last 2.5 years that I have had my squirrel an instance has occurred where she had jumped and missed her target and she then rolls onto her side and then is in a catatonic like state where she lets me hold her and turn her over and she doesn't move. Approximately 2 min later she comes to and proceeds as usual. She doesnt make any squeaks like she is in pain..its more like she is stunned.

recently she got out of her cage and was hiding in the corner of the room and when i went to go to pick her up she did the roll and stun. Can this be "freezing" mechanism? Please give me some feedback. Thank you!!

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Concerned about "freezing" behavior

Postby Joan » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:26 pm

It could be since she hasn't fallen, but might be some type of seizure. They usually don't just stay still when picked up. Let me see if anyone else on the ER team has an idea.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Anne27
Baby Flyer

Postby Anne27 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:07 pm

I can understand how upsetting these episodes are to you. How does she do when caged? Any signs of seizure behavior? What is her protein and Calcium intake like on a weekly basis? I have seen and been getting so many calls lately that are dirt related, especially with older squirrels. If you are in a flying squirrel friendly state and have a good vet, now maybe the time for a check up, this behavior does not sound good. See if a change in diet with some added protein(chicken, wax worms) and some added Calcium rich foods will help. Don't forget to add mushroom caps for her Vitamin D needs. I will keep checking on her progress. You may email me if you like for food suggestions.
Good luck!

DinNorman
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby DinNorman » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

First guess is low calcium, second guess is a type of epilepsy. Blood test might help. Work on calcium intake and go from there.
David

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:53 am

Anne27 wrote:... See if a change in diet with some added protein(chicken, wax worms) and some added Calcium rich foods will help. Don't forget to add mushroom caps for her Vitamin D needs. I will keep checking on her progress. You may email me if you like for food suggestions.
Good luck!

Anne, if you offer suggestions off line, please post here also as everyone is interested and can benefit ... including me. :)
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Mealsy311

Postby Mealsy311 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:39 pm

Thank you for the information! I follow the 2:1 phosphorous and calcium ratio and sprinkle calcium supplement on her food once a week. She does not have any other symptoms of seizure or MBD that I have read on here. The few times this has happened it has been following an instance where it is like she has stunned or scared herself. I have had her for over 2 years and her environment nor diet have changed. If more calcium is required should I up the ratio or give her more supplement during the week? Also I was unaware that you could feed squirrels chicken..I am assuming cooked chicken breast? Thank you for all your help!

pattis
Juvie Pup

Postby pattis » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:54 pm

I've read on this site that boiled chicken or boiled egg white are for protein. I've given my flyer tiny bits, but I don't believe he has eaten it on any of the occasions. I don't leave it in more than a day. I read that flyers are the most carnivious of the squirrels and that they eat carion. Bleh! He loves the mealworms though. I haven't tried crickets yet. I used to play with crickets as a child so I don't know if I will give him live ones, maybe I'll try the canned ones. I guess I'll "let my conscience be my guide.". (Jimminy cricket song)
Rowdy's friend

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:59 pm

All my flyers love crickets...(I've never tried the dead ones). That crunch is awful though... BLEH
Shannon, mom to Sandy, Daisy, Jack, Zooey and three human teenagers! :)

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:31 pm

I found with my pups that live mealworms scared them, but they like the freeze dried as they didn't "wiggle".

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:35 pm

pattis wrote:...I read that flyers are the most carnivious of the squirrels and that they eat carion. Bleh!

I don't know about carrion, but they do eat bird eggs and baby birds. If you want to see a flyer go crazy, get one of those cat toys with feathers on the end of a pole. They will strip it in seconds. :twisted:

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:41 pm

Mealsy311 wrote:Thank you for the information! I follow the 2:1 phosphorous and calcium ratio and sprinkle calcium supplement on her food once a week. She does not have any other symptoms of seizure or MBD that I have read on here. The few times this has happened it has been following an instance where it is like she has stunned or scared herself. I have had her for over 2 years and her environment nor diet have changed. If more calcium is required should I up the ratio or give her more supplement during the week? Also I was unaware that you could feed squirrels chicken..I am assuming cooked chicken breast? Thank you for all your help!

This may be because of being scared for some reason. A friend had a wild flyer pup land on her door frame at night and not move for hours. I think he was scared and in survival mode ... don't move and attract attention.
Flyers eat more protein (meat) than people realize. I rinse spices of all my meats and give some to Chuck ... and I mean, chicken, steak, fish, lamb. He either eats it or not. I trust he knows best.

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”