HELP!! flyer chewed through bonding pouch and is in house!!

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

slmero
Juvie Pup
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

HELP!! flyer chewed through bonding pouch and is in house!!

Postby slmero » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:37 pm

I have a 11 week old flyer who is not yet bonded to me and has escaped in the house. She izu dermy couch right now but she won't come to me.what do I do??????
Momma to 3 babygirls:
Miss Bella Rose (my newest and youngest, flying squirrel)
Miss Gracie Ann (my rebellious middle child, ferret who thinks she's a dog)
Miss Foxy Lady (my first-born, dog)

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Re: HELP!! flyer chewed through bonding pouch and is in hous

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:57 pm

try a nut, or peanut butter. Make sure she can't get out of the room and the toilet lids are shut. Then be patient, she'll come out eventually.
Shannon, mom to Sandy, Daisy, Jack, Zooey and three human teenagers! :)

slmero
Juvie Pup

Postby slmero » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:01 pm

I can't make sure she can't get out of they room. I have no doors on my living room. Should I bring her cage down here since it's upstairs to see if she'll come to that? What do u do with the peanut butter? Cause I have already tried bringing it her on my finger and she just jumps away. She is not bonded yet so I'm very worried!!!
Momma to 3 babygirls:

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:47 pm

The Havahart may work. Move her cage near where you last saw her and just wait ... she will likely go to what she knows. You may have to wait until morning to see if she returned to the cage.
Some of this may help: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=6221
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:49 pm

Yeah I just put it on my finger and they come. What Joan says!

slmero
Juvie Pup

Postby slmero » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:07 pm

Joan wrote:The Havahart may work. Move her cage near where you last saw her and just wait ... she will likely go to what she knows. You may have to wait until morning to see if she returned to the cage.
Some of this may help: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=6221
Hi Joan. She is actually in the cabinet to my entertainment center. I have blocked the hole she got in through and pit her pyramid sleeping pouch in there with her. At least I know where she is but now I don't know how to get her out. Do you think she climb into her nest pouch when she gets tired and realizes she can't get out of the cabinet? I also put a Brazil nut dipped in peanut butter in her pouch. Will she smell that? I'm so worried. I'm hoping she'll just climb in her pouch because the last two nights of tent time, when it was time to go to bed, she climbed in it all by herself after I brought it up to her. I'm freaking out here... I'm going to bring her cage down here and put it next to the entertainment center in case she doesn't just climb in her pouch. And she just gets scared when I try to pick her up and moves away from me? Do you think 8 days us enough for her to know her cage as "home"? Thanks again Joan!!
Momma to 3 babygirls:

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:39 pm

slmero wrote:Hi Joan. She is actually in the cabinet to my entertainment center. I have blocked the hole she got in through and pit her pyramid sleeping pouch in there with her. At least I know where she is but now I don't know how to get her out. Do you think she climb into her nest pouch when she gets tired and realizes she can't get out of the cabinet?

Yes, but it might be morning!

slmero wrote:... I also put a Brazil nut dipped in peanut butter in her pouch. Will she smell that?

Definitely, she will.

slmero wrote:... I'm so worried.

I know you are, but you may have to go to bed and check in the morning. Since she's trapped there. That's a good thing.

slmero wrote:...I'm hoping she'll just climb in her pouch because the last two nights of tent time, when it was time to go to bed, she climbed in it all by herself after I brought it up to her.

Then she may do it tonight!

slmero wrote:...I'm freaking out here...

I know, but this is just one of many freak outs to come. I think she is more bonded than you realize, but they are Jack Russells on caffeine at night.

slmero wrote:...I'm going to bring her cage down here and put it next to the entertainment center in case she doesn't just climb in her pouch.

She'll climb in the pouch to sleep.

slmero wrote:...And she just gets scared when I try to pick her up and moves away from me?

Don't even try to catch her by hand ... it won't work.

slmero wrote:...Do you think 8 days us enough for her to know her cage as "home"?

Oh yes!
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:28 pm

Lol I love the Jack Russell reference! Spot on!

slmero
Juvie Pup

Postby slmero » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:33 pm

OMG! I finally got her into her pyramid at 7:30am... Thank God!!!' [-o< Just like I do during tent time, I picked up her pouch and brought it right in front of her face. As soon as I did that, she climbed right in. Is that a good sign? I expected her to already be sleeping in it when I opened the cabinet but she wasn't. She was still underneath the Allman Brothers album but she did eat half of the Brazil nut dipped in peanut butter that I had put inside her pouch so she obviously went into the pouch at some point during the night. She also chewed a little bit of the album she was hiding under (and I'm not mad at her at all for it :angel13:). I'm just SOOOOOO thankful I was able to contain her in the cabinet and avoided the temptation to try and get her with my bare hands because I think that would have been a disaster. She's still a bit scared of me because she is not yet bonded so she won't jump onto me unless it's to make an escape attempt. But I think we're definitely making progress because when we have tent time, she is so sweet and looks like she's having a blast hopping and gliding around everywhere. And when she stops for a Minute,she lets me pat and love on her all over. Her favorite thing is getting scratched behind her ears... It puts her right to sleep.

Now the problem is her bonding pouches. I don't trust any of them now!! They all have the same mesh material for the windows that Bella chewed through. So im not sure what im going to do now. I DESPERATELY NEED A PLACE TO BUY STRONG BUILT BONDING POUCHES!!! Please, if anyone knows a good place, let me know ASAP! If I knew how to sew, I'd make my own!! I was going to start taking her to work tomorrow but i'm worried about her pouches now... what do i do about this? It was so weird how she got out too because she slept from the time i took her out at 2pm to around 6pm. Around 6pm, i dozed off for about20 minutes and was awakened by Bella jumping out of my shirt (I had her bonding pouch in my shirt against my skin so when she got out of the pouch, it tickled me and thats what woke me up). She then promptly ran under the couch, which scared me because my dog has actually ripped the lining from underneath a section of the couch in an attempt to get her bone which my ferret, Gracie Anne, had stolen and dragged under there (which btw, is her favorite hiding spot for stolen items LOL). So my persistent pooch, Miss Foxy Lady, thought that if she dug hard enough, the bone would magicaly come out from under the couch... so during her attempt at getting the bone, the lining in that part of the couch was ripped and it would be very easy for Bella to climb up in there. But luckily, she didn't. She just stayed under there watching me laying flat on my stomach with a long, extendable, bear claw back scratcher that i had put peanut butter on to try to lure her out (thank you guys for the peanut butter idea). I got it right in front of her face but after a couple minutes without touhing it, she had enough and scurried from under the couch out to my entertainment center. After me trying to get her by handAfter me trying to get her by hand (STUPID) for a couple minutes, I decided to block the hole she entered through and put her sleeping pouch in there with her so she would have a "home" place in there. I also dipped a Brazil nut in peanut butter and put it just inside the pouch to try and lure her in the pouch. Then I closed the cabinet door, leaned something heavy enough to keep the cabinet doors closed against them, and hoped for the best. I also made my dog sleep in my bedroom upstairs last night just in case Bella got out of the entertainment center (better safe than sorry). I was praying she would smell the nut I put in her pouch and simply climb in when she got tired enough. She usually goes to bed around 7am, so I went to bed and barely slept an hour because I was so worried about my baby Bella. I woke up exactly at 7am, weird, and got a towel to use as a net, just in case, and then got the house real quiet. I opened the doors and saw that the nut was not in the pouch anymore abut Bella was in the same spot as last night, under the album. She had gone in the pouch and got the nut but then came out to eat it. My heart dropped because now it was going to be slot harder getting her out (so I thought). So I took her pouch and positioned it very slowly in front of her, just I like do during tent time when its time to go to bed, and after about a minute or so of her just looking at me and me talking sweet to her, she slowly climbed in. THANK GOD!!!!! :bow then I obviously rushed her up the stairs to her cage. She peeked her sweet little head out once I had her pouch fastened to her the roof of her cage and the promptly went to her water dish and started drinking. Oh I felt so bad for my baby!! Her FV formula came in yesterday so after I got her settled in her cage, I put a buffet of fresh food out for her and mixed up a tiny bit of formula for food and comfort. Also gave her a tiny clementine segment for a treat. Not sure if she can smell the formula but I put it right next to her water which is almost right in front of her pouch. I'm really hoping she tries it. She has yet to eat the Henry's Flyer Blocks yet.

This experience has solidified my decision to make my little spare bedroom Bella's room. It's the perfect size for her and I will make it the best little flyer room ever!! It will be like flyer haven in there!! I'm going to keep doing the tent thing for a few more weeks first though. Sorry for such a long post... I'm just venting after such a harrowing ordeal last night! QUESTION... Did I leave her in the pouch too long? And if so, how long should I carry her around during the day? I wish I could trust her in my shirt during the day... I'm guessing that will take a while. :(

Anyway, disaster averted... THANK GOD!!!! And thank you ALL for your quick responses last night! I'm not sure I would've been able to keep so calm if it wasn't for my new friends here! I'm very grateful!!
Attachments
image.jpg
Miss first born, miss foxy lady!!
image.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 1807 times
image.jpg
Gracie Ann sleeping in her favorite blanket... See her head popping out?
image.jpg (699.33 KiB) Viewed 1807 times
Momma to 3 babygirls:

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:00 pm

slmero wrote:... OMG! I finally got her into her pyramid at 7:30am... Thank God!!!'

You stayed up all night didn't you? :twisted:

slmero wrote:... I picked up her pouch and brought it right in front of her face. As soon as I did that, she climbed right in. Is that a good sign?

Yes, and she did it because SHE was ready. They will jerk you around until they are.

slmero wrote:...but she did eat half of the Brazil nut dipped in peanut butter that I had put inside her pouch so she obviously went into the pouch at some point during the night.

Of course, she snacked while running wild and driving her squammy crazy. She needed the energy. :twisted:

slmero wrote:...I'm just SOOOOOO thankful I was able to contain her in the cabinet and avoided the temptation to try and get her with my bare hands because I think that would have been a disaster.

You would have gotten your first bite .. that's to come. :wink:

slmero wrote:...She's still a bit scared of me because she is not yet bonded so she won't jump onto me unless it's to make an escape attempt.

At night this is what even the most bonded flyer does ... run around like crazy and bounce off Squammy.

slmero wrote:... But I think we're definitely making progress because when we have tent time, she is so sweet and looks like she's having a blast hopping and gliding around everywhere. And when she stops for a Minute, she lets me pat and love on her all over. Her favorite thing is getting scratched behind her ears... It puts her right to sleep.

This it what any bonded flyer does. When they are awake, they want to be on the move. Letting you pet her when she's awake and "on the move" is a sign of bonding.

slmero wrote:...Now the problem is her bonding pouches. I don't trust any of them now!!

I've never used a pouch. I just put Chuck in my shirt during the day and he sleeps there. You need to get a room flyer proofed so you are comfortable to let her run around in it. Put her in your shirt when she would usually be sleeping. If she runs off just watch her and try not to have a heart attack. Do this with her cage present so she can go to it whenever she wants.

slmero wrote:...It was so weird how she got out too because she slept from the time i took her out at 2pm to around 6pm. Around 6pm, i dozed off for about 20 minutes and was awakened by Bella jumping out of my shirt (I had her bonding pouch in my shirt against my skin so when she got out of the pouch, it tickled me and thats what woke me up).

Sounds like she an early riser and ready to play.

slmero wrote:...This experience has solidified my decision to make my little spare bedroom Bella's room.

This would be good because you can flyer proof it and not care if she runs around like crazy. Her cage would be there and you can hang out there and play hide and seek.

slmero wrote:... I'm going to keep doing the tent thing for a few more weeks first though.

You can move the tent in there so the transition to free range would be easy. If she escapes, it's in her room anyway.

slmero wrote:... Did I leave her in the pouch too long? And if so, how long should I carry her around during the day?

No such thing as too long. She just woke up and acted like a flyer ... scare squammy to death. :twisted:

slmero
Juvie Pup

Postby slmero » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:36 pm

Joan wrote:You stayed up all night didn't you? :twisted:
YES! I tried to sleep but the effort was futile! All I could think about was my baby girl all alone in a cabinet with unfamiliar smells and no where to escape to. But it all worked out in the end... now we're in the tent having much needed out of cage time... after she slept like ALL day... from 7:30am to around 8pm.

Joan wrote:Yes, and she did it because SHE was ready. They will jerk you around until they are.
It actually felt really good letting her go into her pouch on her own and not forcing her to go somewhere she wasn't ready to go. I hope that showed her that she can trust me. :)

Joan wrote:Of course, she snacked while running wild and driving her squammy crazy. She needed the energy. :twisted:
Little monster... :evilbat:

Joan wrote:You would have gotten your first bite .. that's to come. :wink:

Actually, she bit me the first night I brought her home because I was an idiot and just reached right into the box she travelled in to pick her up. That was just dumb and I now know better. She bit me hard enough to draw blood but I know it was out of pure fear as she had just flown to me in Massachusetts all the way from Texas. Poor baby Bella! :(

joan wrote:At night this is what even the most bonded flyer does ... run around like crazy and bounce off Squammy.
Actually, I take that back... We are in the middle of tent time right now and when we first got in and I let her out, she hopped around the tent for a couple minutes and then jumped on my pillow, looked at me and tilted her head, then promptly jumped right on my head! It was AWESOME!!:greenjumpers: I can't wait until she does that all the time!!

Joan wrote:This it what any bonded flyer does. When they are awake, they want to be on the move. Letting you pet her when she's awake and "on the move" is a sign of bonding..
It is a beautiful feeling when she lets me pet her during out-of-cage time. She is letting me pet her right this minute as im typing this while she clings to the side of the tent. The only thing that might be worrying me is that as I said, she hopped around when she got in here and on my head as well, but since about 20 minutes after we got in here, she is frozen on the side of the tent. Is this "freezing" behavior? She looks around all the time and now lets me reach up and pat her anytime I want while we're in the tent. I;m also getting her used to my hand being wrapped around her body so it's easier for me to pick her up if I ever have to grab her quickly. Its so cool because I can literally wrap my whole hand around her and then I ever so gently try tugging her off the tent but she clings on to it so I just relax and hold her like that. Hopefully, in the next couple weeks, she'll get so used to me doing that that she'll climb right onto my hand. I truly hope so! [-o<

Joan wrote:I've never used a pouch. I just put Chuck in my shirt during the day and he sleeps there. You need to get a room flyer proofed so you are comfortable to let her run around in it. Put her in your shirt when she would usually be sleeping. If she runs off just watch her and try not to have a heart attack. Do this with her cage present so she can go to it whenever she wants..
I would much rather use my shirt too! I actually found these "bra pouches" on Ebay that I ordered today so hopefully, I can get her used to my bra! I really dont' trust those pouches with the mesh window now. But in order for us to bond, I have to take her to work so she can sleep on me during the day. In order for her to sleep on me, she needs a pouch until I can train her in my shirt and be confident she wont jump out. In order for me to train her in my shirt, it takes time. So what do I do??? It kind of leaves me in a catch-22 situation. I did some EXTENSIVE research on bonding pouches today and finally found a couple that are double-layered with hidden seams. That was the problem with the bonding pouch she got out of... the seams to the mesh window were exposed so she was easily able to chew her way out! Any thoughts on what I should do?

joan wrote:This would be good because you can flyer proof it and not care if she runs around like crazy. Her cage would be there and you can hang out there and play hide and seek..
I cleaned out the room today and only have a few more things to do. It will be ready for Bella by Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. I can't wait to let her have room freedom! I will feel so much better about her out of cage time and this room is simply the perfect size for a flyer room! Bella's going to love it!!

joan wrote:You can move the tent in there so the transition to free range would be easy. If she escapes, it's in her room anyway..
I wish I could. The tent is 9x'7' and as such, is much to big to fit in the spare room where that I've designated for Bella. It barely fits in my master bedroom where I have it now! There's a daybed in the spare room and without that, the tent might fit but I want to keep that in there because I'm going to use it when I let Bella out for a romp outside her cage at night. It will be Squammy's "nest" during play time.

Joan wrote:No such thing as too long. She just woke up and acted like a flyer ... scare squammy to death. :twisted:
I didn't think there was a time limit on bonding time during the day. And you're right, she just woke up early and did what flyers do. Lesson learned, Squammy! [-X
Momma to 3 babygirls:

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”