New flyer, is this normal?

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

hummi22689
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

New flyer, is this normal?

Postby hummi22689 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:21 am

I have had 2 flyers for a few months now. When I brought them home, they were very active and would come out to see me whenever I walked into the room. I added a third flyer recently. I had her flown in from Florida (to Ohio). She was introduced to the other 2, by leaving her in her little cage she came in. I put it into the cage with the other 2 and after a few hours I opened it and let them be. She eventually came out and hid behind their wheel. Then she moved to a hanging bucket type thing I have in the cage. Eventually she moved to the nest and that is where she has stayed since Friday. I am not even sure she is coming out for food or water. I am sure she is stressed and terrified, but should I be worried that she possibly isn't eating or drinking? I don't want to cause her anymore stress by bothering her if I don't need to.

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Re: New flyer, is this normal?

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:11 am

Well, I've had Zooey for a few weeks now, and I kept them in their separate cages until Zooey started making herself comfy in Jack's cage, and Jack didn't seem to mind. :) I have never seen Zooey eat (I have heard her a couple of times though). She's a shy girl. I check her weight to make sure she's not losing any weight, that way I know she's eating. It will take her some time to come around...or she may just prefer being mysterious.:) I know Zooey loves to play in my closet with Jack, but she doesn't play in her cage.

Jack used to love to run in his wheel, he would do it for hours and hours. Now, he's enjoying snuggling with Zooey, and only runs on it about half the time.

So I guess what I'm saying is, flyers are like people: no two are the same, and it takes awhile for them to adjust to change. Put yourself in their shoes: your two older flyers were living life just fine, and now all of a sudden there's a new flyer in their house? And then the new one, shipped in an airplane (not judging, that's how I got Jack), and then put in a new house with two other flyers (like a new kid in school), they all three probably have a lot to get used to. But before too long, they will settle into a routine, and all will be well.

Just my two cents. I would definitely invest in a food scale, and weigh them all on a regular basis, just to allieve your worry.
Shannon, mom to Sandy, Daisy, Jack, Zooey and three human teenagers! :)

pattis
Juvie Pup

Re: New flyer, is this normal?

Postby pattis » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:41 pm

Rowdy was very quiet when i first got him. Not so much anymore, but sometimes he's quiet at night. I wake up and wonder why I didn't hear him out and about. Sometimes he's just stealthy. He's the only flyer I have so I can tell what he's been doing by what's out or moved in his cage, what food is missing, etc. Not to mention the poop. If there's poop and pee where your little one is hiding, she's got to be eating and drinking!
Rowdy's friend

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”