Injured Leg

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Injured Leg

Postby Nativeprincess » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:56 pm

There seemed to be some confusion regarding the ownership of a particularly comfy pair of pants the other night. Ya'ya thought they were hers to sleep in, and my husband thought they were *his* to sleep in. Anyways, as my husband put them on, his foot pushed Ya'ya out the pant leg and followed her to the floor. As he describes it, she went "squish" pretty bad. She took off up the curtain, but once we caught her, she let me take a good look. She didn't like me touching her right side but she also didn't stop me when I ran my fingers along the bones. (And with those teeth, she could have). I was even able to take hold of her right leg, extend it, and move it around. Now with that, she glared (if squirrels can glare) and gently placed her teeth on my finger in warning. I swear, if she could talk it would have been "Keep it up and I'll *show* you how it feels).
I don't think anything is broken, I'd expect more of a reaction if it were and I didn't feel any breaks in any of the major bones. However, she isn't using the back right leg either. Instead she does more of a tripod shuffle. I figured a splint was out of the question. It's been 4 nights and while she spent the first few curled up on one of us, she did use her wheel last night. That being said, she is still favoring that back leg.
I *really* don't want her moving around more than usual, but I don't have a good way of keeping her confined. I put her in a smaller cage and she went nuts climbing the bars and looking for a way out! She was calmer in her own (but bigger) cage, but I'm worried shes going to push herself to far to fast. Is this a reasonable concern or will she self monitor her own healing? Also, any idea how long I should expect her to limp or how long it will take to heal completely and allow her to return to full active squirrel duty ?

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Injured Leg

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:00 pm

Joan might be able to tell you more, but I think yaya will do what she can and nothing more. I don't think she would use it unless she knew she could. If it was me I would leave her in the bigger cage, but I might take the wheel out for a few nights.
Shannon, mom to Sandy, Daisy, Jack, Zooey and three human teenagers! :)

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:38 pm

I think Shannon's advice is good. No need freaking her out in something smaller. She'll favor what hurts until it's better. They have amazing recovery potential.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby Nativeprincess » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:31 pm

I know it's been a while but I wanted to give an update.
You were both right, Ya'ya did much better in her bigger cage. I took the wheel out for a few days and it took her a week and a half to get back full use of her leg. She, of course, thought she was ready to go far sooner than I did and being the little extortionist that she is, held my sleep ransom until I put the wheel back.
I must say, I'm rather surprised. For what looked like a rather serious injury, I didn't expect her to recover so fast!

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:52 pm

It's good to get this feedback and it was smart to remove the wheel as it gave her a rest that a smaller cage would. Their ability to heal is amazing. Even broken legs or amputated ones don't slow them down once they are healed. :multi:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”