Question about Balance and Gliding

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

User avatar
Juvie Pup
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:14 am
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4
Location: Central Massachusetts

Question about Balance and Gliding

Postby slmero » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:48 pm

I have kind of a strange question. Is it normal for a flying squirrel to fall or "miss" objects they're trying to jump/glide to? I ask because I've noticed that sometimes my little Bella Rose, who is about a year old, will try to make a really long jump (like 6ft or so) and miss or slip off the object she's trying to jump to. Sometimes, when she gets really excited and starts jumping around her cage, she falls on the floor. I'm sorry if this post is kind of vague, but I don't know how else to explain it. 98% of the time, Bella's jumps and balance are dead on! But it's the other 2% of the time that has me worried.

One example is when I had her out of her cage playing the other night. She jumped from her cage to me, like she ALWAYS does, but this time, i think she thought my hair was part of my shoulder and ended up jumping through my hair and landing on the floor instead of my shoulder, which is what she was clearly aiming for. I felt so bad for her but she was seemed fine physically... she was just a bit scared and ended up running back to her cage and started chirping. And out of the 2 different sounds she makes, this is the really high pitched, almost inaudible sound. So i dont know. Maybe i'm just being a paranoid squammy! I guess I'm hoping someone can tell me whether or not I should be worried and if I should be, what I can do to help my baby! And just as a last note, besides the issue mentioned above, she is picture of health! Her diet is amazing (formula with yogurt, veggies, fruit, in shell nuts (and shelled ones for treats), mealworms, etc... And her coat and tail are shiny soft and just gorgeous! She lives in my bedroom in a 5'L x 3'W x 6'H cage that she adores! She gets let out of her cage to play for over an hour every night and during that time, gets tons of exercise and mental stimulation! So please... can someone shed some light on this issue I may or may not be having? :dontknow:
Momma to 3 babygirls:
Miss Bella Rose (my newest and youngest, flying squirrel)
Miss Gracie Ann (my rebellious middle child, ferret who thinks she's a dog)
Miss Foxy Lady (my first-born, dog)

Site Admin
Posts: 9132
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:30 pm
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4
Location: Fleming Island, FL

Re: Question about Balance and Gliding

Postby Joan » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:08 pm

Sometimes they do miss the mark. This can be painful for the HOF if you get a face landing. Changes in weight can also effect this. When Mishi was pregnant, she always missed her mark and landed lower that expected. I'Ve noticed that Chuck's jump are a bit off target as he's aged. He's now 14.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests