First Southern Flyers ( babies) questions

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

Snicker Bar
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

First Southern Flyers ( babies) questions

Postby Snicker Bar » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:53 pm

I just acquired two baby southern flyers this week, 3 days apart. They are wild, and I am being monitored by a licensed rehabber, as a helper under her permit. They appear ( best can tell by charts) between 7-10 weeks old?but this eatimate could be off. They both have tiny white teeth, but only want Esbilac as their main diet ( but offering fresh food sample as suggested here as well). My questions ( but likely many more to come- never eve SEEN a flyer before!!) are:

1. Housing for two tiny babies? We currently are using a clear plastic tub with air holes drilled , plus areas cut out and covered with hardware cloth to allow more air. It's 18"by 12" by 12".... Is this suitable? Or do we need to get a certified flyer proof super size cage ( but are the bars/holes safe for their tiny size? They measure 4" from tip of tail to nose...)

2. Nest boxes? Wooden, or cozy cubes? One to share, or multiples? Or just fleece to snuggle in for now?

3. Diet? Currently on Esbilac, but we have Henry's Healthy Wild Bites ( squirrel blocks) for our non release greys.. I also make squirrel "boo balls" with the leftover blocks ( ingredients include block, Esbilac, babyfood, nuts , and coconut oil)

4. Ethical Opinions ( even if hurt feelings ): I realize these are wild babies... and I have never kept a candidate for release in captivity. We currently are owned by three greys ; all with disabilities that prevented release; but,not a great quality of life ..we have literally modified our house for their comfort and needs. But dang it! These little critters are too cute!! And in just less than a week, they are almost looking for attention ( petting, cuddling) even though they have each other :( I've scanned over many threads here, about bonding to them, play time and such... against my conscience fussing at me ( they deserve to be free!) And with cool temps rapidly approaching, we will likely have to overwinter them. So what does one do in this situation; to guard your heart?? Is it wrong to let them stay , join the gang ? I've read too much , I guess you could say, about what darling companions they can be... Honesty welcome, please!

Thanks for any help , these are new to me, want to do everything right...

Joan
Site Admin

Re: First Southern Flyers ( babies) questions

Postby Joan » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:39 pm

Snicker Bar wrote:Housing for two tiny babies? We currently are using a clear plastic tub with air holes drilled , plus areas cut out and covered with hardware cloth to allow more air. It's 18"by 12" by 12".... Is this suitable? Or do we need to get a certified flyer proof super size cage ( but are the bars/holes safe for their tiny size? They measure 4" from tip of tail to nose...)

The bigger the better. There are lots of pictures available. Most use hard wire cloth which is easy to climb. My cage for two was 6' tall X 3 1/2' deep X 4' wide. I used wren nest boxes .. or any box for small birds. Plastic or wood. Use 100% cotton balls.

Snicker Bar wrote:Diet? Currently on Esbilac, but we have Henry's Healthy Wild Bites ( squirrel blocks) for our non release greys.. I also make squirrel "boo balls" with the leftover blocks ( ingredients include block, Esbilac, babyfood, nuts , and coconut oil)

I'm surprised they still want Esbilac as mine would wean off it at 5 weeks, but then they stayed with mom til then and it wasn't as good as mom's milk. They will wean themselves so don't worry. (They are considered adult at 12 weeks) Get them nuts to open so they file their teeth. Offer a variety of fresh fruits and veggies ... not together as they have a sweet tooth. I never used commercial food but a variety of what I ate myself including meat. I would also drag stuff in from the woods and they would eat or reject it. They have an innate sense of what's good for them ... except for sweets.

Snicker Bar wrote:Ethical Opinions ...These little critters are too cute!! And in just less than a week, they are almost looking for attention ( petting, cuddling) even though they have each other :(

They bond strongly to human and unlike grays don't care if they never leave.

Snicker Bar wrote:So what does one do in this situation; to guard your heart??

Hope they turn into biters! LOL Otherwise it's pretty hopeless.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Snicker Bar

Postby Snicker Bar » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:05 pm

Thanks for the info., and the honesty! We will get a larger enclosure ASAP, and the boxes. Like I said, the non release greys live life to the fullest; in a huge outdoor room with woodland accessories... they don't know they have handicaps; ( two head traumas with some neurological deficits; one with a damaged eye) They have done very well, considering.
We live in North East MS; the temps here are just now getting a little cool at night ( 60's). At this age and size, would they have sufficient time to learn to forage, and have a good chance for survival, if rehabbed properly for release? Or should we make plans to overwinter them? Whatever is best, willing to give them he best care possible;,whether short or long term.. Thanks again !

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:26 pm

Snicker Bar wrote:... We live in North East MS; the temps here are just now getting a little cool at night ( 60's). At this age and size, would they have sufficient time to learn to forage, and have a good chance for survival, if rehabbed properly for release?

I think this depends on if you can release them in hardwoods where there is an established wild colony. They "colony up" in winter

Snicker Bar wrote:Or should we make plans to overwinter them? Whatever is best, willing to give them he best care possible;,whether short or long term.. Thanks again !

Lots of luck releasing them after a winter of cuddling and training you to fetch! :twisted:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Snicker Bar

Postby Snicker Bar » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:54 pm

I agree , they are already training me well it seems .... I'll let them decide, I guess , by Spring.... if they are nipping and irritable vs cuddling and content, that will remove all doubt hopefully :)

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”