Unexplained hair loss on 5.5 month old male

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

johnny
Baby Flyer
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Unexplained hair loss on 5.5 month old male

Postby johnny » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:46 pm

I know there are other posts about hair loss but I can't seem to locate them and the problem is worsening. Over the past month (at least 2 weeks before is accident, for anyone who read my other post when he was hurt) he has been losing hair on the lower top of his body.

The loss started on the top of the base of his tail. Then I noticed the hair on the lower 1/2 of his back was lessening in a triangle pattern, the base of the triangle by is tail, coming to a point towards the center of his back. It's worsened to the point that today there is a bald patch in the middle of his back, the size of a dime or smaller, about 1/3 up from is tail base.

I have no idea how the hair loss is occurring. I don't see him picking at that area of his body. He eats Henry's Squirrel blocks, so I think he is getting is vitamins. Am I going to have to take him to a vet again? He has more than enough energy, his eyes and ears and demeanor seem 100% healthy. If he were a cat or dog, I would wonder if it was an allergy.

He does use the his cage as if it were an exercise wheel, running for long periods at night from cage side to roof to other side to floor and back to the original side and doing this fast and continuously for long periods but I don't think his back is rubbing against things as he runs.

He's running around the house like a madman while I'm typing this, occasionally running on to me and then back around the house.

johnny
Baby Flyer

Re: Unexplained hair loss on 5.5 month old male

Postby johnny » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:19 pm

I thought about it. I think he is rubbing his air off, somehow. I just don't know how. It seemed worse today again. It's a disheartening large area that is losing hair. I'm debating on emptying his cage except for an open cardboard box with socks or a towel, a water and a food dish, and his exercise wheel, which he uses as a nook to eat on, not to run on. Maybe some sticks on the floor of the cage. I just want to take away anything that migt be a rub area. I don't know what else to do.

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Unexplained hair loss on 5.5 month old male

Postby Joan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:41 pm

Here are a bunch of posts on hair loss. See if any of these help: search.php?keywords=Hair+loss
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”