Loud cage chewing - why and how can I stop it?

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

mikemarz88
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Loud cage chewing - why and how can I stop it?

Postby mikemarz88 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:48 am

Hello!

I've had my squirrel Batman for about 3 years now, and I love her a lot.

Our only beef is that sometimes at 4 in the morning she'll start chewing on her cage. It's extremely loud and annoying and wakes me up every time. The only thing I can do to make her stop is to give her a almond piece or another treat, which I don't do often because she'll learn that I give her what she wants when she chews and she ends up chewing again as soon as she's done with it.

I'm also concerned that chewing on the metal cage could be bad for her teeth.

About 6 months ago I started moving her cage to the hall outside my bedroom, and she hasn't been chewing, but last night she started again at 4 am and woke me up through the damn wall! I moved her cage to the other side of the house, as far away as possible, but I could still hear her even though I managed to get back to sleep.

I feed her Henry's blocks, almonds peanuts, banana chips, vanilla Greek yogurt, the occasional leafy green veggie (but she never eats any) and she always has fresh water and plenty of toys and apple wood sticks to chew on.

Any idea what could be causing this and how I could get her to stop?

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Loud cage chewing - why and how can I stop it?

Postby Joan » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:10 am

Does she have other things to chew on like tree branches? They have teeth like beavers that are constantly growing and need smething to keep them files down.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

mikemarz88

Re: Loud cage chewing - why and how can I stop it?

Postby mikemarz88 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:38 am

Hey Joan,

Yes she has a big tree branch in there to climb on and plenty of those little apple wood sticks, but I don't ever see or hear her chewing on them.

If I stick one in her face she'll chew on it for a couple seconds but quickly lose interest.

She only chews a specific spot in her cage, the bottom corner next to my desk, so I've even tried duct taping one of the sticks to my desk so it would stick through the bars hoping she would chew that instead, but she only wants to chew on the cage.

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”