Disinterested in Food

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

Ainz
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Disinterested in Food

Postby Ainz » Wed May 23, 2018 1:14 am

Hey everyone! First time caretaker for a little flyer who is a little over 3 months old now. He's got brain damage from an assumed fall from his tree as a baby and still has major balance issues after a 14 day Prednisone course. Ever since we were given him in early April, he has been a *very* fussy eater. He hated the formula (Esbilac and Fox Valley) so feeding was always difficult but we'd still manage to get a few ounces in him eventually each day. Now he's completely rejecting formula *as well as* most other foods.

My husband and I have offered him a wide variety of veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds, mushrooms, mealworms.... the only thing he will eat guaranteed is pecans and, 85% of the time, apples. He physically turns himself away from any yogurt offered and won't even nibble on a mealworm or mushroom.
As first time owners, we're not sure if this is within any sort of normal realm or if maybe it can be attributed to his neurological handicap. :(

I just got some RepCal in since I'm afraid he's not getting the nutrients and calcium and Vitamin D he needs, but even with that, it's still been very trying to get him to eat. If we don't take him out of his cage, he'll literally sleep all day and all night and all the next day until we get him (with maybe a few seeds missing from his dish and a small chunk missing from a fruit).

So we're just really worried and looking for any advice on what to do to get this boy to eat!
(He's currently hanging out with us, with a walnut shell stuffed with walnut pieces, Noosa yogurt, cremini, shiitake, and oyster mushroom bits and a bit of a homemade Boo Ball -- I've got cherries apples, watermelon and various fruits also on hand, but holding off on the sweets until he hopefully eats some of this :( .. so far no bites )

Thank you for any advice!

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Disinterested in Food

Postby Joan » Wed May 23, 2018 9:17 am

They can all be fussy eaters ... loving something one day and refusing it the next. You are doing the correct thing with a variety and holding off on fruits (they do have a sweet tooth). Make sure you add dark green veggies for the D2 which they convert to D3. He can only eat what you offer. He might like any left over meats you eat (rinsed of spices) for protein. Mushroom are another thing to try. Also yogurt drinks ... mine liked vanilla. Just keep trying lots of things. I actually had no idea how much my flyers ate as they'd eat it or toss it around. :twisted:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Ainz

Postby Ainz » Wed May 23, 2018 10:40 pm

Thank you for your reply!

He finally ended up eating the stuffed walnut shell I gave him last night even with the yogurt in it (which he normally literally turns himself around to face away from any yogurt lol). I *did* have to stuff a tiny speck of pecan in there for him to catch the scent of, cuz after I did that, he went to town on the rest of it too.

I'm just extra overprotective and worried about his care since he is a neuro baby! I love him to pieces and hang out with him for hours every night :D

Still no interest in mealworms or mushrooms yet (my 3 year old gray squirrel girl Hazel loves them though - she can't get enough of them crunchy dried worms!) but I'll just keep offering!

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu May 24, 2018 10:56 am

Ainz wrote:...I'm just extra overprotective and worried about his care since he is a neuro baby! I love him to pieces and hang out with him for hours every night :D

LOL Been there, done that! :twisted:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”