Childrens book

Reviews & mentions of favorite & recommended books on the subject of flying squirrels
Amy

Childrens book

Postby Amy » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:37 pm

I bought the newest book in print on flying squirrels. It's actually made for children...it's very small and has like 32 pages, and it was only $5.95. I ordered it from Books-A-Million. I knew it was that small when I bought it, I just thought it would be cool to have a book on flyers. As I expected, it had some really great pictures, actually good, large pictures on every page! And of course it just had a very elementary story about the basics of a flying squirrel, written for maybe 1st graders to understand. But for $5.95, it was a great buy! :) My personal favorite was the page that talked about how they glide, and it said something to the effect of how they look at a tree they want to get to, bob up and down and lean side to side then take off. LOL I thought it was great that that was a basic observation important enough to make the book! LOL So if anyone out there just would like to own a cute flyer book, it's by Judith Jango-Cohen, and if you call your local bookstore, they should be able to order it for you. I found it on amazon for like $3.99, but the shipping was the same as the total so it was going to end up costing around $8. It was worth waiting a few more days and saving a few bucks. I think I'm going to go to amazon and do a reader review for any other flyer owners who might be considering the book.

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:34 pm

Flying Squirrels is a great little book.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

BreezieGirl
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby BreezieGirl » Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:34 pm

Oh, I've seen that book too, but contemplated buying it, I wasn't sure if it was worth it! Maybe I will buy it though, since you guys say it's good! :)
~Kaylie
Owned by Jasper

In Loving Memory of My Sweet Little Mima :smt049

Amy

Postby Amy » Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:11 pm

Yes, it's very cute, but keep in mind its very small, and made for elementary use. But I was really impressed with the photos and just wanted a book to own about flyers :)

Moonsong
Flying Furball

Postby Moonsong » Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:24 am

May be a good book for those with small children/grandchildren? :) I'll try to find it for my nephew as well as my adopted nieces and nephews who come over. hehe
~*~Reesa~*~
Happy Squammy to Tajar and Baxter

Moonsong
Flying Furball

Postby Moonsong » Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:45 am

Has anyone read " There's a Flying Squirrel in My Coffee: Overcoming Cancer with the Help of My Pet "? I could have sworn I read the condensed version in Reader's Digest many many years ago but didn't remember until I saw that title. I wonder if it is any good?
~*~Reesa~*~
Happy Squammy to Tajar and Baxter

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:41 pm

[quote="Moonsong"]Has anyone read " There's a Flying Squirrel in My Coffee: Overcoming Cancer with the Help of My Pet "? I could have sworn I read the condensed version in Reader's Digest many many years ago but didn't remember until I saw that title.

Yes, it was in Reader's Digest. Bill has a website and follow-up on Rocky: http://www.billgoss.com/new/rockyandbitsyupdate.htm

You can get the book really cheap on eBay.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Amy

Postby Amy » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:22 pm

Yes, I think the book would be great for young children, like grandsons or nephews!!! To help you guys out I'm going to type the contents of the book and show you how easy it is for children. Then just imagine it with some really great pictures!
(Paragraph = 1 page)

-Many people have never seen a flying squirrel.
Do you know why?
-A flying squirrel stays tucked in its nest and naps all day.
-Its nest may be a hole inside an old tree. Or its nest may be a heap of twigs, bark, and leaves.
-Flying squirrels are nocturnal. Nocturnal animals are active at night.
-Flying squirrels are hungry when they get up. They hunt for buds, seeds, nuts, and bugs.
-Sometimes they look for food while hanging by the claws on their feet.

Okay.....this book is longer than I thought, so we will just call this a SAMPLE. LOL! But I will also tell you that at the end, there is a cute little map of the US showing where they live, then a drawing of a flying squirrel with some basic anatomy pointed out, and even a glossary of a few terms that children might not understand. I just wanted to be sure everyone really understood the book since I've bragged on it and several of you are now going to buy it. I'd hate for you to get it and then think it wasn't what you expected, and want to hurt me! LOL Hope you guys enjoy the book!

Return to “The Bookshelf”