Why Not Publish?

Reviews & mentions of favorite & recommended books on the subject of flying squirrels
spiritedaway20
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Why Not Publish?

Postby spiritedaway20 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:35 am

Alright, well I know this question has come up once or twice, at least, but have any of you ever thought about writing a care book or collaborating on one? I'm not sure if it's because of time, lack of money etc, but I'm just curious and wonder if it would be, at all, feasible. Maybe someone already tried and it was declined, who knows! There are sites like Lulu and bookbinding places where you can do it yourself. If it was popular enough, we could maybe try to send it to places like Barron's? Alright, enough random midnight thoughts...I'm going to bed! Voice your input :)

pnerissa
NFSA Member
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Why Not Publish?

Postby pnerissa » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:01 am

I actually am a writer so I'll weigh in.

From a monetary aspect a book on flying squirrels, although certainly beneficial to the few diehard HOFs out there, would not generate substantial revenue (what most starving writers need to survive.) The amount of time and research (documented) tendered, not to mention the time spent pitching and promoting a book, would be very time-consuming weighed against potential profits. Yes, E-book publication is one avenue to take, but I learned at a recent writer's conference that very few E-books actually prosper. This is why, as a writer, I also have a day job.

Having touched on that I will say that I have been working on a series of articles on the SFS that will be published at the company that I write for probably later on in the week. I started working on them shortly after acquiring Benji and have been tweaking and polishing and honing all these weeks because if I'm going to put something out there for the world to see in regards to our dear FS then I want it to be as accurate as possible. These articles will be free for the public to read, and most likely I won't make a dime off of them, but if it can save even one flier then it would have been worth all the hours I've put into it.

And yes, I'll post links as soon as they're up.

Bev
Last edited by pnerissa on Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:22 pm

I agree there is not enough demand while we would love such a book, most would need it about as much as one would need a T-Rex care sheet lol so sad to say that it's not a good future for a book such as that. On the other hand we have material like that right here on this board with people who have the wisdom of years of experience and the rehabers spend most of there days dealing with flyers and we do have a few rehabers on here. I wish I was a rehaber but I'm to young to have the time in my life for that for now and I don't live where they have them fall from tree's. What I would like to do is as my second job a hobby would be to have my own on line exotics and sell them also providing flyers for people who don't have them around here love of them I'll just relax and enjoy owning a couple flyers.

If you look out there there are a couple books and there are a lot of sites out there on the web, I'm going to working on a web site for flying squirrels using my own experiences and that of others and I hope to make a book on the web site that will serve as a very good flying squirrel how to and will give in-depth detail, along with everyone's flying squirrel pic's along with other such things like posting pic's of our cage's and just general stuff. pnerissa you gave me an idea that's why i think we should have a detailed book on my new site would be big thing It would be a collection of everything that all of us know to be fact and that is also science, It wouldn't have to be to long but I think It would add allot.
I'm not NUTS I just mimic

R.I.P Taz

pnerissa
NFSA Member

Postby pnerissa » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:01 pm

flyer_1 wrote: pnerissa you gave me an idea that's why i think we should have a detailed book on my new site would be big thing It would be a collection of everything that all of us know to be fact and that is also science, It wouldn't have to be to long but I think It would add allot.

If you need help just holler (damn, I'm Southern too.) I contribute articles to several sites and it wouldn't be that hard to whip up a few as needed. Heck, even now I'm whipping up a hobby article on woodworking with a spin towards building a backyard squirrel playground.

Well, back to keyboard I go.

Bev

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:29 pm

Thanks Bev, I will let you know when I'm at that point and will give you a loud shout, I plan for this web site to be for the board and will include allot of different things maybe I could even pay you to do and article every month or so about building a cage or keeping a clean cage or special studies allot of witch I would do i have help on my end so that wouldn't be to hard. My mother actually is in web design and I'm doing a little work in it myself :D

Travis

R.I.P Taz

spiritedaway20
NFSA Member

Postby spiritedaway20 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:57 pm

I know writers are starving, I'm dating one unfortunately lol The ones I know (him included) seem to be too optimistic about their trade and think that everyone wants to read what they have to say, the same as other artists, besides myself, think that they are awesome at what they do and can't imagine why they can't make a profit. Everyone does it. That's great that you are writing articles though! Good for you! At least you have your foot in the door. You have to start from the bottom of the pale and work your way up (with most everything). Are they scientific or peer-reviewed or is it just a causal article? I'm very intrigued. Let us know how it works out :) Thanks for your insight into the writing market! If you're not going for profit, there are cheap ways to get books printed and 'self-published' and just have a few copies. I have seen MANY people write books who are just breeders or owners, and they don't sell them in pet stores, you buy directly from them. It doesn't have to be a big expensive thing. I think it would be nice to just make and print one for those of us on here that want one, or for the new people we get that would like one. It would also work if someone wanted to know about them, but didn't have access to a computer. You print them a few at a time. There are even SITES where you can get this done. You'd have to pay for it yourself, or donate to the cause. You'd about break even lol

Oh yeah, and I'm sure people know this, but just a friendly reminder to everyone in general who reads this to cite your sources for your info if you DO write something! If it was not your original idea, it's plaigerism and the lovely people here at the NFSA deserve their credit for the care info that has been given here.

I hope we can get more input on this subject from older members if they have thought about this or have anything to say.

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:58 pm

I don't think that ANYONE is going to accuse Bev of plagiarism or that being a writer that she wouldn't ask, but I think if people are giving out this information they probably are giving this information away, and besides this is common information that people who know flyers would know or that she could research so I don't think :?: that that's a copy right sort of thing I'm sure being a writer she will stay on the up and up, I have faith in you Bev :D

R.I.P Taz

spiritedaway20
NFSA Member

Postby spiritedaway20 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:02 pm

I doubt it would happen too, but it was just a general friendly reminder to everyone in case anyone else reads this and wants to write something and it applies to you and me too :) If you want to get REALLY technical, keep reading! I wasn't saying anyone would accuse Bev of it (you fabricated that yourself), but unfortunately the person doing it would still be guilty of it regardless of what you may think.The person who had the original idea doesn't have to be the person to call an author out on it. You may doubt anyone here (or non-member guests) would accuse Bev of that, but you don't know that for sure. If you do know exactly how everyone will react and who will or won't do certaint hings, you must be psychic! Please give me the lotto numbers so I can pay off my student loans. lol ;) I doubt anything flyer related is considered 'general information'. If you ask a regular passerby what a flying squirrel eats, what a minimum cage requirement is etc, they will not know, so that's up to debate. It can be a messy, tangly issue, but unless someone publishes something (a site, book , essay, article etc), it probably won't be an issue, but it could happen, hence the general reminder. Everyone just needs to give credit where due, wether or not your name is Bev, Alex, Crhistian, Denise (me) or whatever your name is. Simple as that. :)

On another note, I think I am going to check into this print-your-own book thing. It's pretty neat, even if you don't want to write anything and just want to make a picture book or something! That would be fun.

flyer_1 wrote:but I think if people are giving out this information they probably are giving this information away

If it's not your original idea and not general information, you plagiarized. End of story. it doesn't matter if you thought it was for free, or wanted it to be.
Last edited by spiritedaway20 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pnerissa
NFSA Member

Postby pnerissa » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:17 pm

flyer_1 wrote:I don't think that ANYONE is going to accuse Bev of plagiarism or that being a writer that she wouldn't ask, but I think if people are giving out this information they probably are giving this information away, and besides this is common information that people who know flyers would know or that she could research so I don't think :?: that that's a copy right sort of thing I'm sure being a writer she will stay on the up and up, I have faith in you Bev :D

I love you flyer_1. :love7:

The last thing I want to see is for this to turn into a debate so I'm not going to go there. I've been at this for quite some time and have experience under my belt.

Spiritedaway20, I've personally had my own work plagiarized several times and know the hell I've had to go through to get it removed from other websites. I pride myself on producing original work, and in those instances where I've had to wade into unfamiliar waters, I give credit where credit is due.

Bev

spiritedaway20
NFSA Member

Postby spiritedaway20 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:38 pm

pnerissa wrote:
flyer_1 wrote:I don't think that ANYONE is going to accuse Bev of plagiarism or that being a writer that she wouldn't ask, but I think if people are giving out this information they probably are giving this information away, and besides this is common information that people who know flyers would know or that she could research so I don't think :?: that that's a copy right sort of thing I'm sure being a writer she will stay on the up and up, I have faith in you Bev :D

I love you flyer_1. :love7:

The last thing I want to see is for this to turn into a debate so I'm not going to go there. I've been at this for quite some time and have experience under my belt.

Spiritedaway20, I've personally had my own work plagiarized several times and know the hell I've had to go through to get it removed from other websites. I pride myself on producing original work, and in those instances where I've had to wade into unfamiliar waters, I give credit where credit is due.

Bev

I think that's great that you have original works and I don't doubt that you do produce that. :) I apologize if you think I was accusing you of anything. I believe Flyer_1 was the only one that mentioned you specifically, but that was never what I meant and I most certainly did not write that. This discussion just reminded me to mention it to the general public because this topic is on writing books, articles, making sites, or publish and I thought it was certainly worth mentioning :) Unless you're psychic, you can't tell who will view this thread and whether or not they even think about plagiarism, especially on the internet where some may assume the same rules don't apply. It's better to have them read it and say “oh yeah” or say “what constitutes that?” rather than to just go on without thought or knowing.

Also I told the bf about the “bottom of the pale” thing I typed since I sensed tension here and he got confused. I asked him if it could be offensive so I should word it better in the event that should be seen as such (if it does). I personally see article writing as working your way up to a book on a particular topic when you don't have much info to go by (working your way up with documented info, as Bev had stated) such as a care book. For science it starts with a peer-reviewed article and then it works it's way up to a collection of articles, and then eventually a book :) The articles themselves are a great away to get the topic 'out there'.

Anyway, back on topic. So Bev, if you wouldn't mind answering the questions I asked before, questions, is your article peer reviewed scientific,on husbandry care, or a casual article mentioning flyers, or a story about flyers? I was interest to know what you meant :)

pnerissa
NFSA Member

Postby pnerissa » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:24 pm

spiritedaway20 wrote:
By the way Bev, I read the previous post due and the “bottom of the pale” thing I typed could be offensive, so I apologize just in case. I personally see article writing as working your way up to a book (like what Stephen King did with some of his works) whether it be on a particular topic such as a care book, or as an author like Stephen King. The articles themselves are still very valuable on their own. I think I could have worded that better.

Yeah, I saw that, just chose to ignore it rather than go to the mat over it. I once made a best friend by choosing to "wait and see." I do actually earn money writing articles, and as a Feature Writer I also earn a bonus. Payment is generated by ad revenue, and some topics tend to pay better than others. I am able to track how much traffic a particular article gets and can use that as a gauge for how well a book might do. Another way that some of the writers make money is to build an article base focusing on a specific topic and then compile them into a book at a later date. I always have that option for compiling a flier book if I choose.

I've got the first two articles up. I'm posting the link http://flying-mammals.suite101.com/article.cfm/southern_flying_squirrels to the first one (the link to the second is embedded within it.) Each article is limited to 600 words so I wasn't able to tackle everything I wanted. I intend to follow up with a few more articles, so just bear with me.

Bev

P.S.
Benji's a star now. ;)

pnerissa
NFSA Member

Postby pnerissa » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:45 pm

spiritedaway20 wrote:Anyway, back on topic. So Bev, if you wouldn't mind answering the questions I asked before, questions, is your article peer reviewed scientific,on husbandry care, or a casual article mentioning flyers, or a story about flyers? I was interest to know what you meant :)

All of my articles are subject to review by the section editor. Writers at Suite101 may write on any topic of their choosing. As a Feature Writer I'm also obligated to produce one article per week in my section (Hobbies.) I've chosen to write my flier articles from several different angles, so one article might be in pet care while another article may be in mammals (as is the case with the two published this evening.) I also intend to address nutrition, breeding, and flier health in the near future. I hope that helps answer your question. My articles for the Tampa Bay Examiner are all in Outdoor Adventure, so not much chance of squeezing in a flier article there.

Bev

spiritedaway20
NFSA Member

Postby spiritedaway20 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:19 pm

pnerissa wrote:
spiritedaway20 wrote:Anyway, back on topic. So Bev, if you wouldn't mind answering the questions I asked before, questions, is your article peer reviewed scientific,on husbandry care, or a casual article mentioning flyers, or a story about flyers? I was interest to know what you meant :)

All of my articles are subject to review by the section editor. Writers at Suite101 may write on any topic of their choosing. As a Feature Writer I'm also obligated to produce one article per week in my section (Hobbies.) I've chosen to write my flier articles from several different angles, so one article might be in pet care while another article may be in mammals (as is the case with the two published this evening.) I also intend to address nutrition, breeding, and flier health in the near future. I hope that helps answer your question. My articles for the Tampa Bay Examiner are all in Outdoor Adventure, so not much chance of squeezing in a flier article there.

Bev

Ohhh ok gotcha. Thanks for answering my questions and explaining :) It helped lol I checked out suite101. I suppose it would be hard to fit flyers (or at least flyer keeping) in outdoor adventures other than a mention of it lol That's understandable. That's suite 101 is a neat place. So your a feature writer for suite101 on top of producing flyer articles? And articles are your profession? Or are you using it as a way to gain interest on a particular topic to so that a book cna be produced? I know not all writers want to write a book (and you don't need to in order to be a writer obviously) I just want to make sure I understand that correctly.

lol I guess the stephen kind thing wasn't a good example for articles...he mentioned that as a good way to work up to getting a story or piece published if one wanted to write a book, but I'm not sure. Maybe the guy that wrote marley and me would be a better example. He loved writing articles and finally had a bunch of requests for a book, and he had already written a bunch of articles, so the book was a product of that. Good luck! Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I understand.

pnerissa
NFSA Member

Postby pnerissa » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:34 pm

spiritedaway20 wrote:
Ohhh ok gotcha. Thanks for answering my questions and explaining :) It helped lol I checked out suite101. I suppose it would be hard to fit flyers (or at least flyer keeping) in outdoor adventures other than a mention of it lol That's understandable. That's suite 101 is a neat place. So your a feature writer for suite101 on top of producing flyer articles? And articles are your profession? Or are you using it as a way to gain interest on a particular topic to so that a book cna be produced? I know not all writers want to write a book (and you don't need to in order to be a writer obviously) I just want to make sure I understand that correctly.

lol I guess the stephen kind thing wasn't a good example for articles...he mentioned that as a good way to work up to getting a story or piece published if one wanted to write a book, but I'm not sure. Maybe the guy that wrote marley and me would be a better example. He loved writing articles and finally had a bunch of requests for a book, and he had already written a bunch of articles, so the book was a product of that. Good luck! Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I understand.

By day I work in the Florida judicial system. Writing is my therapy for working in a high stress job. I'm trying to write my way out of it. Yes, I am a Feature Writer on top of writing all kinds of other articles. I applied for "Hobbies" because "Backpacking, Hiking and Camping" was already filled. :( As for writing a book, I am particularly drawn to science fiction/fantasy. I've got a little something I've been working on when I get time that I'll eventually get finished. On the non-fiction front I will have enough put together for a hiking book or a kayaking book long before I have enough for a flier book. As for fliers, I will probably just recycle those articles into the flier community so that future generations will have access to them.

I'm also on vacation this week so I'm getting a lot more writing done. :D

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:59 pm

I wasn't accusing you of anything in text, I was simply saying that Bev knows what she's doing and felt like you where saying she should be careful as if she didn't know and people on hear would do that kind of thing, witch you did say that you can't be for sure, but we are a family. I'm not always right :D so I could be wrong it's not fact so if I'm wrong forgive me I was simply standing up for Bev as to say she knows what she's doing and would know, like Bev I do my best to be friends with everyone hear and have bitten my tongue, like I've said before I feel like we are all family hear so If your offended by something I said I apologise :wink:
I meant by general knowledge I was talking about those of us who own them and those who study them, and not the typical pet owner :D If you have any idea's for the web site do tell me I'm interested in EVERYONE"S opinions.

PS DO wright back as so we can settle this I don't want to be at ends with someone on the board, we are not always right but all have opinions :D

Travis

R.I.P Taz

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:29 pm

pnerissa wrote:... I've got the first two articles up. I'm posting the link http://flying-mammals.suite101.com/article.cfm/southern_flying_squirrels to the first one (the link to the second is embedded within it.) Each article is limited to 600 words so I wasn't able to tackle everything I wanted. I intend to follow up with a few more articles, so just bear with me.

Bev, could we reprint your article or post a link to it on the NFSA Website? http://www.nfsa.us It's nice to let website visitors know of your work.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

pnerissa
NFSA Member

Postby pnerissa » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:16 pm

Joan wrote:

Bev, could we reprint your article or post a link to it on the NFSA Website? http://www.nfsa.us It's nice to let website visitors know of your work.

A link would be fine. Because of my contract with Suite I have to wait a full year before I can republish it elsewhere, but once the year is up I'll be glad to donate it to the cause. :) I'll also keep you guys posted as I publish new articles.

Southern Flying Squirrels http://flying-mammals.suite101.com/article.cfm/southern_flying_squirrels

Southern Flying Squirrels as Pets http://petcare.suite101.com/article.cfm/southern_flying_squirrels_as_pets

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:09 pm

Bev I'm creating a web site as you know put on there and I will be adding a link to my web page to the board, I'm going to be doing allot on this site including getting help from my mother who is a has done pro work, so this is going to be a high tech web site that's going to be for this board as sort of an extension of the board a place where you can go to get information with permission I will put links to different site's and such, If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to tell me or give me any ideas.

R.I.P Taz

Return to “The Bookshelf”