Night Vision Camera's

Information about releasing flyers to the wild, removing them from the home and attracting them to your yard.
Mary
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Night Vision Camera's

Postby Mary » Wed May 10, 2006 9:46 am

I have been trying to research getting a night vision camera so I can video tape the night visitors.

It is 50 feet from the house to the feeder. My porch light does help some in seeing the feeder.

I would like to get one that I can view with a tv and also video tape after I go to bed.
I was checking out this one package of 3 camera's but he said it would only do good pictures at 20 feet and I should reasearch infrared camera's.

Can anyone help me on what I need for the distance that will take a fairly decent picture of the FS?

Thank You for any advice and suggestion
Mary

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:15 pm

Video camera technology is now cheap, reliable, and widely available. Office Depot has one for about $100. It consists of a wireless camera, and a receiver (for the wireless signal from the camera). The receiver has a "composite video" output which can be plugged into the composite video input (yellow RCA terminal) on the back of most any TV set. The receiver is actually 4 switchable receivers (like 4 channels) and additional cameras can be purchased directly from the manufacturer so you can plug the receiver into one TV, and use it to switch (remote control included) between up to 4 different cameras.

The cameras are sensitive to both visible light and infra-red. And the camera includes infra-red LEDs (light emitting diodes) to illuminate the scene. Think of it as a camera with a built in light for nighttime use-- but the nighttime light is invisible to most creatures. Just what you want for watching flying squirrels.

These cameras operate on 12 volt DC power ... like a car, motorcycle or lawnmower battery; so they can be used in 'remote' locations. They come with 120 vAC to 12 vDC adapters, so they can plug into a regular electrical outlet too. You can get good signal reception up to about 250 or 300 feet.

The only drawback is that the video quality is less than fabulous. You can certainly see what an animal is doing, watch it ambulate, feed, or whatever, but don't expect to read fine print posters on the nestbox wall. We're all getting spoiled by HDTV and high quality computer monitors.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:08 am

Have you seen the ones at nativeoutdoors.com/stealthcamera.html ? I just am not sure which one would be better. I hope to get it sometime this month. I was looking at model AD3/1390. I think its a 3 camera combo set. I don't think I need a viewing monitor if I am going to hook it up to a tv or pc.
Maybe if you have a chance you can take a look and help me pick one that would be good? I have no idea what I am doing yet. My neighbor gave me the link but I am on my own basically.

I have seen the FS come down only on the one tree so thought about 2 cameras would be good for it. One to watch them come down and one on the jar feeder hoping to get a good view of them feeding.
Thanks alot for the info.
Mary

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:40 am

Mary, I'm sure I don't know any more than you ... I got my information from a rehab site I belong to. Probably the best person to talk with is John C. http://www.wap.atfreeweb.com/flyingsquirrels/
I'll ask him to post.
Last edited by Joan on Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:08 pm

Here's a Wildlife Motion-detection camera National Geographic is selling: http://tinyurl.com/khenv

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:58 am

Thanks Joan,
That is a nice outdoor day camera. Doubt if it would take good pics at night. Does not have any info for nightvision.
I have not bought one, yet, but think I am going with one from Native Outdoors.
http://www.nativeoutdoors.com/stealthcamera.html

I just put this on the backburner because my old household items "had" to be replaced. (washer-dryer, sweeper, serger sewing machine). This has been a fun "replacing" year.

My jar feeders are working out great and I am able to see them get in the one jar for food. They are in and out in a split second. I still only think I have one or two FS at this tree.

Thanks for your help.
Mary

The 3 nest boxes I put up in January have not been used at all so far.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:48 pm

Mary wrote:... Native Outdoors.
http://www.nativeoutdoors.com/stealthcamera.html

Cool site. :D

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:18 am

I think so too.

John
Baby Flyer

Night camera

Postby John » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:11 pm

I purchased a Q-See infrared camera on Ebay several weeks ago and set it up outside in a tree house my long since grown children abandoned. I reduced the tree house to just a platform ( I removed the roof and walls) and screwed the camera to the tree facing the floor of the platform. The camera is wireless but needs a power source so I ran several extension cords to the platform and it works just fine.
I am surrounded by woods and the Flyer activity is amazing.
I have hooked the receiver for the camera to my old VHS VCR which in 'EP' mode will record for 8 hours on a T-160 tape, so I get the entire evening.
I tried every conceivable "bate". My tame Flyers love pecans, but the wilds seem to favor sunflower kernals and peanut butter.
The camera can be purchased in stores for about $100.00 but it was just $60.00 on Ebay. The camera is waterproof and works from either a 12 volt battery or the supplied power adapter which I wrapped in a baggie for water proofing.
The setup to the VCR is simple, one cable from the receiver to the VCR and your done.
The camera model is QSWOCRC and they have a website: www.q-see.com.
I had so much fun with this that I bought a cheaper version of the camera (China no-name model), drillled a 1 inch hole in the top of one of my nest boxes and mounted the camera pointing downward into the interior of the nest box. Now I can watch to see if 'Mom' has babies without disturbing her. The no-name camera was also from Ebay but only $30.00. It has fewer infrared LED's but at 6 inches it does not matter, you can see fine in total darkness.
John

John C
Honorary NFSA Member

Live camera options I used for my on-line flyer pics/video

Postby John C » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:40 am

If you want an outdoor camera aimed at the flyers' box entrance, get one with a night vision varifocal lens with at least 420 lines. If you have already some light shining on the subject area (behind the camera somewhere) then you won't need one with infrared LED's. Keep any bright light from shining in the camera & keep the camera from aiming at things like porch or street lamps. It should be weatherproff one unless you make your own housing like I did.

The picture looks small on a PC screen but looks large & clear on a TV or VCR/VHS screen. If setting up for TV/VHS... all you need is the camera and cable and electric wire. Be safe when setting it up...I'm not an expert on electricity but I tried to take precautions so get professional advice if possible. My problem here was where the cable entered the house. I had to drill a hole in brick and then seal it. I also used a surge arrestor on my indoor electric panel ($35 plus a $100 install fee for me but may that might all be overkill) as well as an outdoor surge protector where this was plugged in - not overkill. That came from an electrical supplier since the 2 big box home improvement stores didn't have them when I looked.

If setting up for a PC, you will need webcam software like Vision GS BE http://www.visiongs.de. This software has motion detection, record ability, still web cam ftp ability, and image settings tweaking. I think you can do streaming or video web cam too w/it but I didn't do that. You will also need something like a Dazzle Video creator 80 USB devide which allows the video signal to go to your PC. Mine only does 320 x 240 pixels though. Video cards will also let you view a video feed on your PC but you have to make sure it can accept an analog signal like this one does. Many new ones I looked at won't.

For an enclosed nest box cam or enclosed feeder cam I used a cheap board camera with infrared lights. See: http://www.wap.atfreeweb.com/flyingsqui ... ts/06.html The trick here was diffusing the light and keeping the flyers from licking or chewing the lens. I made my own ground glass protector/diffuser by sanding some plexiglass. They didn't chew it but they did lick the lens which blurred the picure. I had to wait till they all left the box at about 11 PM clean it after those events. I also used a lightning arrestor which was just antenna lightning cable lasso'd around the tree above the feeder. Pounding in the 8 ft ground rod was tough and I had to try 3 times since I kept hitting rock. Again, be careful doing all this since you can get hurt or destry property in a variety of ways. Have an expert electrician or secuity camera company do it if you are not sure.

The absolute safest option is to use an outdoor external USB camera (safe except for climbing on a ladder or drilling a hole for it to go outdoors). All you need is the camera. The USB cable has weak power (to me it is weak & safe) and has audio/video capabilities. The USB extension cable (AKA repeater hubs) might cost some money though depending on how many you get. See: http://www.wap.atfreeweb.com/woodpecker ... setup.html
Mine was a daylight cam though and I don't know where you can get a USB night vision one. Mine was also indoor camera that I made an outdoor housing for. It did will in any humidity and temps down to 0-5 F and as high as 100 F.

There are some excellent systems ava here but I think they are for birds only: http://www.americanartifacts.com/smma/p ... estcam.htm

(I have a lot going on now so my apologies in advance if my responses are not timely or I can't find this page again)

John C in MD.

Linda
Flying Furball

Postby Linda » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:39 pm

Thanks VERY much.
Amanda and Linda

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:07 am

John,
That sure is a great amount of information that will help in setting up a camera. From your discription I think I may go with the tv hook up for watching for the larger view. Once I finally get the camera, I will understand more on the set up. I may need low lighting in that area.
I am lucky in having a neighbor friend that is a top electrician supervisor at our university and he will help me set it up, if I need his assistance.

Thank You so much for taking the time explaining how to set this up and all your ideas for better pictures. Since they are not using my nest boxes and stay high in the trees, I will just have a small set up for viewing the feeders. I keep hoping they would go to the nest boxes but no luck yet.
I will check out the links you provided and print your instruction out.

I really appreciated all the information and what can be involved in a good setup.

Thank You
Mary

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:29 pm

Mary. is your e-mail address in the Members Directory correct? John tried to contact you directly and his note was returned.

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:47 pm

Joan wrote:Mary. is your e-mail address in the Members Directory correct? John tried to contact you directly and his note was returned.

Yes it is. I just checked it to be sure. I read his response to his awesome setup. I am not sure why his email did not reach me. I am glad to have his information.

Thank You
Mary

MaryM993@neo.rr.com

John C
Honorary NFSA Member

Flyers & next boxes

Postby John C » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:43 pm

You're welcome. Good thing about your neighbor. I still have some VHS footage from when I had my camera up. How many boxes do you have up? How high are they? They prefer higher nest boxes that are deeper than most bluebird boxes and/or have a portal extension to keep out the woodpeckers. They might not select one as a winter nest box until Sept or Oct when the snakes start to hiberante and any of the flyers' stand-alone weaved nests/dreys become exposed by the now more bare branches.

You may already have them staying in the some of the boxes occasionally. These are pics of evidence that flyers have used some boxes during the summer:
http://www.wap.atfreeweb.com/bluebirds/ ... 13flsq.jpg
http://www.wap.atfreeweb.com/flyingsqui ... -h4fur.jpg
http://www.wap.atfreeweb.com/flyingsqui ... ouse4.html

If you're trying to coax them to a feeder, Flyers love hazelnuts. I think for mine it was a favorite. Some of the other nuts with tougher shells they ate more of when I cracked them ahead of time. Good luck.

I wish I had use of some wooded property again that supports flyers and with utility hookups. Just for 1-2 years. I'd try some interesting stuff and document it all with pics, video, sound, & text. WHat I want to try is a box with several rooms & cameras/audio in it. I've been looking for some small rental properties (land only) on and off for the past year but haven't found anything so far.

John C in MD.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:52 pm

Anyone near John got land he can use?

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:56 am

Sorry I'm not near enough to John. I would love to have him set up the spy cams in my flyer colonys. I've had to go to the swamp part of our 80 acres to feed and provide nest boxes for the flyers on our property. For a little more than 2 years I've been trying to lure them closer to the houses. This summer I put a jar feeder with Nut-n-Berry in it under a couple of big oaks where there are several blueberry bushes and a plum tree. My mom noticed little nibbles that looked familar to her so I put up a feeder and... FLYERS! They are empting the jar in less than a week now. So by fall I will put at least 4 new nestboxes nearby and see if anyone wants to move permantly. The location is great for us to bring chairs and watch. It's about halfway between ours and my parents houses. Once that group gets bigger, I'll try to lure some to the trees in my yard. I still have 2 big flyer villages in the swamp and at the barn that I feed at at least every week this summer. We have West Nile in our county so I hate going into mosquito areas right now.

Mary
NFSA Member

Re: Flyers & next boxes

Postby Mary » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:50 am

John C wrote:You're welcome. Good thing about your neighbor. I still have some VHS footage from when I had my camera up. How many boxes do you have up? How high are they? They prefer higher nest boxes that are deeper than most bluebird boxes and/or have a portal extension to keep out the woodpeckers. They might not select one as a winter nest box until Sept or Oct when the snakes start to hiberante and any of the flyers' stand-alone weaved nests/dreys become exposed by the now more bare branches.

If you're trying to coax them to a feeder, Flyers love hazelnuts. I think for mine it was a favorite. Some of the other nuts with tougher shells they ate more of when I cracked them ahead of time. Good luck.

I wish I had use of some wooded property again that supports flyers and with utility hookups. Just for 1-2 years. I'd try some interesting stuff and document it all with pics, video, sound, & text. WHat I want to try is a box with several rooms & cameras/audio in it. I've been looking for some small rental properties (land only) on and off for the past year but haven't found anything so far.

John C in MD.

Hi John, I wanted to check on my 3 nest boxes before I got back to you. All 3 are still not being used at all. I did put some acorns and chestnuts in them this time.
I have two jars feeders that are on the same trees as the nest boxes. I am able to see a FS come to the entrance of the jar feeder then scamper back high in the tree, past the nest box. The other jar feeder in a tree beside this one, does have food missing also. Never see anything come to it. It is out of view from the porch light. They love the sunflowers seeds, acorns, chestnuts and woodpecker food.
My ladder is 12 ft and my brother put the nest boxes up about another 3 ft. I can barely see the floor of the nest box when on the ladder. I can not put the boxes any higher if I need to clean them out someday. My nest boxes have a portal hole with about a one inch piece of wood on the inside of the entrance. They are fairly deep from the entrance hole.
I think they like being very high in the trees and will not use the boxes but they are there for them.
I think I will be getting my night vision camera later this month and will try to get it set up.
You sure can use any of my property but Akron Oh might be a bit far for you.
I had no idea we ever had any FS here in all the years we lived here. I think they are new to this area and only have a few that I know of but with food for them, I hope they increase in numbers.

Have you found if it really makes a difference on what side the portal hole faces?
Because of this I had to put the boxes on the back side of the tree and can not see it unless I walk to the other side. I do check them all the time.
Thanks for all your info.
Mary
MaryM993@neo.rr.com

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:47 am

Here's a recent exchange between Mary and John for you camera fans. :D

[quote="Mary"]

Here is the problem. I wanted to get a Video camera but found they are very very expensive and way out of my budget. About $800 plus another $269 for the weather proof case. ( plus cables etc) Would love to have a setup watching on a tv in motion, but not at this price.

I decided on trying just a camera with still pics.

http://www.nativeoutdoors.com/scoutingcameras.html
Model STC-TGL3
Only $139.99  

I called to order and he thought because the FS are so fast that the camera would not pick up the heat and motion to take pics. Then suggested putting it no more then 6 ft no more then 8 ft near the feeder. I was going for 14 feet to hide camera in small trees. I could even put the camera on a tri-pod if necessary.

I would love to know how close John has his camera and if it is heat and motion. I am hoping he can give more advice again.

[quote="John"]
Here are some cheaper solutions. USB uses less power than non-USB cameras I think. All of these following 3 web cams are for indoors only but you could make yours waterproof like I did for mine:

This explains my setup but it was a daylight cam and I made an outdoor housing for my indoor camera:
http://www.wap.atfreeweb.com/woodpecker ... setup.html

This is a $35 Infrared USB WebCam from a company I've heard of but never bought from. It doesn't look like it has as many LED lights as the eBay ones though:
http://www.usbgeek.com/prod_detail.php?prod_id=0493

There are bunch of these PC-2008F Infrared USB WebCams on eBay but I don't know who makes, them, if they are any good, and whether the sellers are trustworthy:
http://cgi.ebay.com/PC-2008F-USB-WebCam ... dZViewItem

Don't spend that much money if you can avoid it. At least, my total was $225 plus a monthly $8.95 cost of a web site & ftp server for it. You would need to do waterproofing/weatherproofing though and that could take up some time and effort. I can help direct your choices but I'm not always quick with my responses

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:07 pm

Thanks Joan.
A special Thanks to John for his infomation. Sorry to be such a pest but I love these little guys so much and want to keep closer tabs on them. Not to the extent of John's setup but for my personal interest and entertainment.
After getting Jon's reply, I went to Ebay and found a Nightvison Webcam that I bid on and won. Hopefully it will be here in about a week.
I have no idea what I am doing or if I can get this gadget to even work.
I am hoping my neighbor can help me get it set up.

Wish me Luck
Mary

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:40 am

Joan wrote:Video camera technology is now cheap, reliable, and widely available. Office Depot has one for about $100. It consists of a wireless camera, and a receiver (for the wireless signal from the camera). The receiver has a "composite video" output which can be plugged into the composite video input (yellow RCA terminal) on the back of most any TV set. The receiver is actually 4 switchable receivers (like 4 channels) and additional cameras can be purchased directly from the manufacturer so you can plug the receiver into one TV, and use it to switch (remote control included) between up to 4 different cameras.

I am so excited. You can't believe how much fun this is. I wanted a 4 camera setup and this only had two cameras. Decided to try it.

John had given a web site that had the wireless cameras and I was checking on them.
I went to Sam's Club yesterday to pick up a new doormat but first I went to the security/video cams. I found this Nortech security Wireless system, 2,4ghz, and it jumped into my cart. It is only a 2 camera setup.
This works fantastic. I set it up last night on a tripod. I think I have it about 3 or 4 feet from the tree. These little cameras really put out alot of light and it was so much fun to watch them. I am going to move it father back and see how well the reception is.

I had bought a new small 15" tv for my bedroom/Peanut room and it had the AV channel needed to see the camera output.

I only hooked up one camera last night but today I want to get another tripod for the second camera. Then I will work on some kind of housing to put the cameras in to protect it from the weather.

Ok Last night as I was watching, I saw 5 FS on the one tree at one time. I have one that is "Chunky" and he is so funny. He comes, gets a sunflower seed then hangs upside down and eats the seed with his front paws/hands. He stayed close to that doorway to food. Two others would follow him and do the same holding on with hind legs and eating upside down. But they would run back up tree after eating it then come back. Alot of times they would eat there too. The acorns, they would take back up to their nest then come back for the seeds.

Their big beautiful black eyes were all white with the infra camera.
It was a nice night for watching. The FS almost cleaned out BOTH jar feeders last night.

I was ready for bed about 12:30 so shut it off. Got up about 6am and turned the camera back on as I was getting my coffe. Those little sweethearts were still at it getting more sunflower seeds until 6:30 am.

What a special treat to wake up too.

I will be getting the four camer one next year for sure. But will have to be happy with this one for now. Christmas is too close to get anymore new toys for Mary. :twisted:

Thank You So much John and Joan for all the information. Words can not describe how thrilling this is.

I did manage to give my Peanut "out of cage" time too. He had about 2 1/2 hours before I ended up back in the kitchen where my set up is at this time. He had a ballrunning all around. His second "nap time" put him behind a lock cage door. Poor baby. I wanted to play with my new toy too.

Ok time to go find another tripod for setting up the second camera for tonight.

A Very Happy Mary

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:53 am

Now we need to get Kevin to figure a way to broadcast your live cam on the NFSA Website or this Board. :D

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:52 pm

:multi: :multi: :multi: Ohhh, pleeeeez do Kevin!! :multi:

Kevin
NFSA Member

Postby Kevin » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:02 pm

Deb wrote::multi: :multi: :multi: Ohhh, pleeeeez do Kevin!! :multi:

Hey, sounds awesome! There are different options depending on the camera technology.

Some security cameras use a "push Jpeg" technology that would make it very cost effective for web hosting. However if we are going to look at something like streaming a live video feed we might need to look at the cost involved for putting that on the web site. Also there would need to be a computer involved to do the video encoding in that case.

Maybe for now we could just put up some choice videos that have been captured? I can provide a FTP location to upload the video too, then do the encoding into windows media or quicktime for hosting. Just let me know!
Kevin

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:44 pm

I am game to learn to share my joy. I don't know how to attach it to the computer yet to make it work.

I am still shocked I got to see anything last night. I did have alittle freguency static for awhile. Found a spot where I did not have to hold the antenna. Wonder if aluminum foil works like on old tv's?

Mostly the 2 fs were there and about 11:30 I saw 5 but I think Chunky ran them off so just 2 or 3 were back most of the time.

Ok Kevin how do I learn all this hi tech stuff? I am not very good at it.

I think for starters I need to see if I can get it to work on the computer. That should be an adventure. I can only try and not make promises.

The TV had to have a AV Channel to view. John said the pictures were smaller on a computer then on a tv. I have a older Dell computer and don't know anything about a video setup or tech stuff.

Mary

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:13 am

The video cams are working good. Tuesday night I fell asleep in my chair and missed them almost emptying one jar of food and almost the second jar too.
Last night was very slow. Not sure what was the problem but not much activity. When I took the jars out at 6 pm, turn porch light on, 3 fs came to the one jar and 2 came to the other jar, fed for a short time then disappeared for a long while. Not sure if the racoons were roaming or a cat in the area.
Then only one would come to each feeder but would not stay long.
This morning I brought the jars in and about less then half of the seeds were gone. Nuts and acorns gone but lots of sunflower seeds left.

The fs look all black with big white eyes. I love the way they hang on the tree upside down to eat the seeds. You can see the shells drop too.

My 12 year old great nephew who lives down the road will walk up close to the house, quietly and if a fs is on the back of the tree will just stay there. The cars passing does not seem to bother them either.

Quiet night last night. Just thought I would check in.
Mary

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:39 am

Thanks to our embedded night flyer reporter ... Mary, do you have night vision binoculars? :twisted:
Last edited by Joan on Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:46 am

Joan wrote:Thanks to our embedded night flyer reporter ... Mary, do you have night vision binoculars? :twisted:

I don't have one but you can bet I spent alot of time on Ebay priceing them.
Some of them are really cheap but not sure how good they would be. My thoughts were for the infaray light to see the object you would have to be kind of close and they don't trust me enough for me to be that close. And I also get tired of standing by the window just waiting for a glance at them running into the the back door of the feeder and back out before you can blink your eye. Now I know they stay behind the tree. Little Sneaks.

My setup is very cheap and very amature.
Camera set with wireless remote/scanner and transmitter, Sams Club- $119
1 Tripod that goes to 61" from Walmart- $30.
1 Tripod borrowed from brother- Free.

The View is priceless. It also picks up sound real good.

But you do need a tv with a AV Channel to view them in action. Just by luck my newer bedroom tv, has that channel or I probably would be out of luck. Got the little 15 in tv flat screen about 3 mo ago so Peanut had alot more running time and I could still watch some tv.
This can be set up to a VCR too.

I have a great idea, lets all chip in so Judy can have this security camera set up so we could all see her wild bunch cage. :twisted:

I only have a few FS wild ones around here and you might want to set up one where there is alot more activity if that ever comes about.

The thrill of knowing that we do have even a few is so worth every cent I put into it.

OK Back to doing house chores..
Mary

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:05 pm

Mary wrote:
Joan wrote:Thanks to our embedded night flyer reporter ... Mary, do you have night vision binoculars? :twisted:

I don't have one but you can bet I spent alot of time on Ebay priceing them.

Get some with stabalizer. Try Army/Navy surplus for Military versions which would be really good.

I have a great idea, lets all chip in so Judy can have this security camera set up so we could all see her wild bunch cage. :twisted:

No kidding. I've been working on Tom for FL's cage. If TX had one too you'd never sleep. We could watch flyers all night until Texas dawn. :D

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:23 am

Joan wrote:
No kidding. I've been working on Tom for FL's cage. If TX had one too you'd never sleep. We could watch flyers all night until Texas dawn. :D

Wow then we need to get Tom interested in this camera setup. Is there something we can do to talk him into it??
Hmm this is "Research" so maybe if we put it that way, he would "agree".

Last night, at one point, I saw 5 fs on the one tree. And 2 fs on the 2nd tree. So I have 7 squirrels that know where the feeders are.
On the 2nd feeder, the Chunky squirrel stays for long periods of time, alone. The one fs came down only one time, grabbed a seed and ran back out of site.
The 1st feeder was what I think a family of 3 that stays and feeds alot but 2 others joined them for a few minutes then disappeared, then comes back for a few seeds and out of site again.
I was curious that the 5 fs always fed out of the one and not go over to the other feeder where "Chunky" feeds alone. Wonder if he has a personality problem? :twisted:
I am also wondering where the other four fs go to find food because they are not at the jars that long. They sure need more then what I see them eat. The trees are almost bare now and no more acorns left from the trees.
What kind of food do the wildones eat all winter?

It sure would be nice to have Other Observers "watching"and see what their fs do..
When I brought the jars in this morning, it does not look like to much food is missing.
I wished I could give them a whole jar of acorns but winter is coming and I need to stretch out my supply.

I get tired about 11 so I am only watching from 6 to 11pm. Then 5:30 to 6:30am.

Thats it for now.
Mary

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:53 am

Hello,
I have been watching with my security camera system and so far no more then 7 FS have come to the feeders.

I put one camera on a nest box one night and found 3 or 4 flyers are using the one.I am so happy. It is so cute to see these little flash light white eyes look out before coming out for the night.

I have a question on cleaning out the nestbox. Why would you clean them out around Jan or Feb in the worst part of the winter here?
This is not going to be easy putting a ladder up in the ice and deep snow.

I also have not had a chance to put a small box around the camera's and it rained so much last night, I could not see much more then a blurr. I am going to have to do something to fix that.

The feeling of knowing that they are here makes it all worth the effect and small expense. I am just hoping the numbers will grow in time and stay around.

Mary

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:15 pm

Mary wrote:... why would you clean them out around Jan or Feb in the worst part of the winter here?

Beats me ... I wouldn't.

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:01 pm

Mary, it is getting progressivly colder here in Mississippi and will be below freezing temps this weekend. My wild flyers have had Spanish moss in the nest boxes all year. Today I lucked out in a local salvage store and bought 20 bags of cotton balls for 25 cents each. I'm gonna hang a plastic bag stuffed full of cotton on the trees with the boxes and see if the little monsters will figure it out for themselves :cool:

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:30 am

Deb wrote:Mary, it is getting progressivly colder here in Mississippi and will be below freezing temps this weekend. My wild flyers have had Spanish moss in the nest boxes all year. Today I lucked out in a local salvage store and bought 20 bags of cotton balls for 25 cents each. I'm gonna hang a plastic bag stuffed full of cotton on the trees with the boxes and see if the little monsters will figure it out for themselves :cool:

Deb, I tried that last winter. Lots of cotton balls and even tried fleece strips. I got to pick up the wet soggy cotton balls and throw them away. Good luck with your group. Hope they are smarter. :twisted:
I have moss in 2 of the 3 nest boxes. Its gonna get mighty cold this winter here in Ohio.
Mary

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:09 pm

There was cotton balls all over the place! I had to pick it all up just before dark tonight. Looks like there was less than what I put out though. So maybe at least one of 'em is a genius :roll:

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:51 am

Those little wildones come out After dark.. Maybe a grey squirrel got it or a bird.
Hope your "genius" did find it. Maybe after a few tries they will give it a try for their nest.

Mary

Return to “Wild Flyers”