Nature's food?

Information about releasing flyers to the wild, removing them from the home and attracting them to your yard.
Mary
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Nature's food?

Postby Mary » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:06 am

For the last week or so, I have noticed the wild flyers not eating much from the jar feeders.
I am so curious as to what they are eating out in the wild and where they are finding it.
I know bugs and moths but what else is there and how do they find the different foods at night?

Is there a list of foods somewhere for the outside wild flyers?

I also noticed, my Peanut is not eating as much. I keep trying to find new stuff for him to eat. Guess maybe babyfood is next. I am at a loss right now.

Mary

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:52 am

Nearly all of mine have been off their feed lately, at one time or another. Eventually it picks back up, so I don't worry too much about it. They will usually eat yogurt, so I know they will get the right nutrition in the long run. You might also try not feeding him for one night.(They have enough stashed away to last them for quite a while, so they don't go hungry.) Usually they are so excited that you have not 'forgotten' to feed them the next night that they will at least nibble on what you put in for them. Of course, you may have to put up with some pouting because you missed a night :D . But they get over it very quickly.

Judy

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:50 pm

You are right Judy,
I never panic over Peanut's appetite. He has enough food in his cage for 2 weeks. He eats some veggies too. He will pick up
Yes I "miss a night" once a week. He eats plenty of veggies and yogurt not for me to worry. He gets his first rose flower tonight.

Since I am talking about food, can our babies have cherry's with the seed in it? I have left overs from my fruit salad.

I was wondering about the outside wildones. They don't have the food selection like our pets and I was wondering about what they eat.
Anyone know? (beside bugs and moths)

Mary

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:34 pm

That's funny - I always worry that my indoor flyers aren't getting as much variety as the ones in the wild! Out there they can choose from different tree buds, leaves and twigs, a huge variety of seeds, fruits, nuts and berries from various plants, a large variety of mushrooms and other fungi, plenty of bugs and worms, an occasional bird egg or baby bird, probably carrion once in a while. And. of course, all the food they want to steal from the bird feeders that nice people put out! Kinda makes ya feel sorry for our pampered pets that have to take what we give them!

Judy

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:46 am

Judy, thats the info I was looking for. I think I worded my email wrong. I try to find new foods for wildones and Peanut and when he rejects them, I ask what mommy can give him that his outside cousins are eating and he talks to me so softly, I can not hear him.

Peanut will not be getting any bird eggs, or baby birds and he rejects hard boiled ones.
For branches, neighbor has a cherry tree and my brother has a apple tree. I will keep searching for new fun food for my baby and my precious wildones.

Thank you
Mary

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:27 am

Mary, have you tried him on chicken bones? Mine just love them. And they also like a bit of chicken white meat. I bring in branches of old wood for mine - the kind that has mushrooms growing on it, and that maybe a few bugs have gotten it - they make short work of the bugs, nibble on the mushrooms, and chew the wood until it's just sawdust! My 'tried and true' stand-by is yogurt. Mine really like the whipped strawberry, and I will often stir some Esbilac powder into it. And I bring in all sorts of flowers from the yard and woods - some they eat and some they just play with. Maple and Willow branches are always a big hit, too.

Judy

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:37 am

Yes I had given Peanut chicken bones and some white meat. He was not chewing on the bone so after a few days, I took it out.

A willow tree, I will try that too.

Yes I have given him alot of dandalions and grass flowers etc. He did not touch the rose. My brothers FS loved it. My picky little Peanut would not touch it. I will try again tonight with the rose.
I am trying very hard to grow flowers but the groundhogs are eating them as fast as they start to bloom.

I like all the new ideas.
Thank You
Mary

Return to “Wild Flyers”