Wild One Return?

Information about releasing flyers to the wild, removing them from the home and attracting them to your yard.
Mary
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Wild One Return?

Postby Mary » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:41 am

For the last 6 weeks, there has not been even one furball at my feeders. I can not even hear them around the woods anywhere.

I was wondering if anyone knew when they would come back to nest for the winter?

I am getting ready to go to the park to start collecting as many acorns as I can find again. I did great passing them out last year and still have one gallon left in the freezer.

This year I bought a tote on wheels to help me get back to the car without the bag breaking. That was a long walk back with the plastic bags cutting into my fingers and arms. I would pick up about 4 gallons each trip, 3 or 4 times a week. They are heavy.

I have plans on 2 more nest boxes for the back of the house, woods. My brother is going to make me 2 more jar feeders for the back also. Once the chipmunks hybernate, the feeders should be staying full longer. LOL It is going to be very hard getting up the hill to refill the jars, but they are worth it. I am hoping I only have to fill them 2 or 3 times a week.

But my biggest hope is that they come back home.

Mary

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:53 am

Wow I am so excited. This morning a FS was at the feeder when I got up. Looks like the female that always came each night. I have not seen any for over 2 months. I am so happy.

I had scrubbed and cleaned out the 3 nest boxes about 2 months ago and I put "new" moss in about 2 weeks ago.

Dan made a new feeder to replace an old one and it is so nice.
I made another one, like his new feeder and will put it up maybe today in the back yard by the woods.
These new ones are great. We replaced the side entrace wood walls with quarter inch screen and put a 1 1/2 opening for them to get into it by the back panel. Now no blind spots and I can see them go in and out very easily.

I just had to share my excitement. I was not sure if the wildones moved out because of all the cats and racoons around here. I am so happy they stayed.

Mary

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:24 am

I moved all my nestboxes and feeders out of the wetlands and to a dryer area and am waiting to see if I can draw them too.
Glad your's have returned to chub up for winter. :D
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:54 pm

I've been watching for ours too. I told my Dad tonight I can't wait to put out the first peanutbutter & honey on multi-grain bread sandwhich out on a feeder tray this Fall.
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:13 am

Joan wrote:I moved all my nestboxes and feeders out of the wetlands and to a dryer area and am waiting to see if I can draw them too.
Glad your's have returned to chub up for winter. :D

Can you see the feeders now that you moved them? There is alot of acorns out there so I don't expect much food missing until later this month.

I put the new feeder up yesterday. I checked this morning on all 3. I think the one FS ate very little from jar 1. I think the chipmunk got some out of jar 2. :twisted:

I've been watching for ours too. I told my Dad tonight I can't wait to put out the first peanutbutter & honey on multi-grain bread sandwhich out on a feeder tray this Fall.

Everyone keep a lookout and let us know when those wildones are looking for food.
I really hate to see fall and winter come but it brings the little ones back to your feeders hopfully.

Mary

peep
NFSA Member

Postby peep » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:18 am

We've had a marked absence of wild ones on our property this summer, assuming that the timber work disturbed them and they moved off. But our neighbor mentioned that they have not heard or seen any on their property either, and they have 12 acres. We got our explanation one night last week... A pair of owls has taken up residence. We heard them calling to each other in the trees on the south side of the property. Hope we can encourage them to move on. The are public enemy #1 for flyers!
peep
State and Federal permit holder

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:30 am

peep wrote:We've had a marked absence of wild ones on our property this summer, assuming that the timber work disturbed them and they moved off. But our neighbor mentioned that they have not heard or seen any on their property either, and they have 12 acres. We got our explanation one night last week... A pair of owls has taken up residence. We heard them calling to each other in the trees on the south side of the property. Hope we can encourage them to move on. The are public enemy #1 for flyers!
peep

We have a family of the smaller owls down the street. I wished they would leave too. My guess is that is why I do not have many FS here. Breaks my heart.

Mary

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:50 am

My last report was the last time I have seen any wild flyers coming to my feeders. I still have the camera on all three but they must have left the area.
I am really heart sick by them not returning. I was so thrilled to feed them each night. I looked so forward to going out and talking to them and have them come down the tree just inches from me. I could hear all these chirps in the woods. Now, not even one chirp. I keep going out and checking.

It is getting so cold now and they should be eating from the feeders. We even had a few furries to tell us the snow is coming soon.

I am so lost without the joy of having them near. I still have to hope they will return.

Mary

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:07 am

Good morning Mary. what sad news. It is hard to accept the wild ones sudden absence without knowing the reasons behind it. If some predator was cleaning them out, maybe the survivors fled the area and will come back for the food when they feel its safe again.
The feeding jar and nest boxes I set up last year between mine and my parents houses are in use. I have been keeping the jar filled and adding meal worms since the nights have cooled down. I felt the bottoms of the nest boxes a few weeks ago on a cold day. Sure enough, warm wood :D Must have been piled in together.
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:16 am

Deb wrote:Good morning Mary. what sad news. It is hard to accept the wild ones sudden absence without knowing the reasons behind it. If some predator was cleaning them out, maybe the survivors fled the area and will come back for the food when they feel its safe again.

Thank You Deb, I hope they do come back. They would be safe in the nest boxes. I saw a big hawk with something black in its claws a couple weeks ago. My heart stopped and I was hoping it was not one of them. I could not make out what it was. Maybe a small black squirrel or a mole. I am hoping it was a mole.

The feeding jar and nest boxes I set up last year between mine and my parents houses are in use. I have been keeping the jar filled and adding meal worms since the nights have cooled down. I felt the bottoms of the nest boxes a few weeks ago on a cold day. Sure enough, warm wood :D Must have been piled in together.

I am so happy for you. It seems like just knowing they are there is a real joy and comfort.
I am not giving up yet. When it is cold and lots of snow, I am hoping they remember where they can get all the food they want.

Thanks
Mary

Return to “Wild Flyers”