Timber Operation

Information about releasing flyers to the wild, removing them from the home and attracting them to your yard.
peep
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Timber Operation

Postby peep » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:23 am

I'm so nervous about my wild flyers.

We have reached a point where our 5 acres of oak trees are overgrown, too dense, and are taking all of the nutrition out of the soil. We have a timber company coming in to remove all of the old growth. We've already had 3 trees come down during the last heavy rains, and several dropped huge branches... one on our power line. I really hate to have to do this, but it's a matter of safety and economics. I have selected 3 good sized oaks to leave standing, and am going to put several nest boxes about 15-20 ft up in them and hope for the best. I truly don't want to lose the wild animal population here.

Fortunately, my neighbor has several good oaks they can go to for refuge, and the crew that is doing the timber work are very conciencious. The owner said that he's rescued and rehabbed too many orphans in his time, and he's learned to create just enough disturbance to make them move before he takes the tree down. I just have to hope for the best, and stand by with my rescue kit.
peep
State and Federal permit holder

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:32 am

Give me a call if you need any help with them - they'll just blend in with the scenery around here!

Judy

Return to “Wild Flyers”