Wild Flyer in my house!!! HELP!

Information about releasing flyers to the wild, removing them from the home and attracting them to your yard.
Peanut
Baby Flyer
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Wild Flyer in my house!!! HELP!

Postby Peanut » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:32 am

Hello all,
I've owned a flyer for quite sometime now. She was actually donated by a great woman to our environmental facility and teaches the youth of the town about the flyers! She's great! So, I've got some experience taking care of one, HOWEVER I was just awoken by some noises in my ROOM! Peanut, my flyer, does not live at my house therefore this little dude that I just found on my window sill is not her!
I had caught and released a flyer laster year from the same room in the house. Actually it was living in the room above the garage and canvasing the house in the evening. Well it's back! It is the cutest thing in the world, just like my Peanut, and it isn't hard to catch at all. Granted I used a net and not my fingers!
Long story short what do I do with it?!!! HELP!!!! The exterminator has come on several occasions telling us that it's not a flying squirrel but mice that we hear in the attic at night. HAHAHA... it's a fling squirrel. Is it likely he/she has friends? I don't want to hurt the poor dear..... and I don't want to keep it in a cage if it's wild.....and I don't want the exterminator to get to he/she. Can I take it to a state forest and relase it? I know many other species would not survive this way especially given I live in New England and it's BITTER COLD!

PLEASE SOME ADVICE.... AND HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED! (also posted in the help section)

Peanut
Baby Flyer

Postby Peanut » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:45 am

I just read the great post about flyers in the house. I do not want to let this one go seeing it does/did travel the whole house, however what if it has young? It's in my flyers "baby" cage and it's resting comfortably in the cotton. I gave it plenty of food, but what if it has young. How do I know? The exterminator has been through the house and doesn't know where it's getting in. (Obviously hes missed somewhere)

Lora
NFSA Member

Postby Lora » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:33 am

If she had babies she would not be "resting comfortable" in the cage. She would be quite aggitated & doing everything she could to get out. Also I think Joan mentioned it was late in the season for babies. Her nipples would also be swelled with milk. I think you're in the clear on this issue.

Return to “Wild Flyers”