Wild Flyers left the area

Information about releasing flyers to the wild, removing them from the home and attracting them to your yard.
Mary
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Wild Flyers left the area

Postby Mary » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:59 am

I am sad to report that the wild ones left my area.
A big Hawk has taken residence in the woods. Also an Owl has been spotted by a couple neighbors.

This hawk is huge. I saw him attack a bunch of small birds in a bush when I was shoveling the snow on the driveway.

I saw that hawk with a small blackish rodent in his claws a couple months ago. I can't get it out of my head that it could have been one of the flyers.

Do you think any survived and got away?
I am so heartbroken not having them here anymore.
I miss them.

Mary

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Wild Flyers left the area

Postby Joan » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:04 am

Mary wrote:...Do you think any survived and got away?

They clear out of the area until the predators are gone; then come back.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:58 pm

Joan wrote:They clear out of the area until the predators are gone; then come back.

Thanks. I can only hope they are safe and will return. Does not look too good for the next year or two.
We had an owl in the woods for a few years then a storm blew down the old tree her nest was in. It left the area about 4 years ago. Then this summer a new owl family of 3 babies was nesting down the road and I believe its one of the young ones. So with the owl and the hawk it may be a very dreary winter.

Thanks Joan
Mary

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:33 pm

Joan wrote:They clear out of the area until the predators are gone; then come back.

I saw a wild FS go to the feeder last night. I am in cloud nine. I even shed tears I was so happy. It has been so long since they were at my feeders. The one only made about 4 trips that I saw and ran up the tree. I have not been filling the jars much because I thought they were gone. It just hit me last night to fill them.
I had to shovel about 11 inch deep of snow to clear a path to the two feeders. ( I measured with a yardstick)The 3rd feeder on the hill had deeper snow to get to it and I noticed the lock came undone. I dragged my big ladder up there and re-locked it just incase they are in that nest box. No one peeked out but I did notice some of the moss I put in there this summer was close to the door.

This means the world to me to have the wild ones so close. I was so afraid they were gone for good because of the big hawks that moved in the woods this summer. But to my shocking surprise, I hope they all come back to feed.

Mary

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:00 pm

I am so glad they are back. Maybe the Hawk and the owl will disappear. I don't believe in killing any wildlife, but those two need to find new homes so the little wild ones will be safe.
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.
In Loving Memory of Scoot, whom I will always miss!!

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:50 am

Thanks Glorya

I don't think any FS came last night. Two of the three jars have not been touched as far as I can see from the cameras. The 3rd one I can not tell. Maybe she snuck in there and took a couple chestnuts and acorns, like she did the night before.
No furballs sitings last night but thats OK. I got to see one the night before so they are still around and hopefully warm and safe.

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:45 pm

I have a pair of wild fs that have been coming almost every night to the one feeder.
No FS at the second feeder at all. There use to be at least 3 or 4 every night at that one.
The 3rd feeder is up the hill and I could not get to it for ever 2 weeks because of the over foot of snow. I put that one up in the late summer and never have seen any flyers eat from it.

I also got to see an owl fly in the trees and look for food. He kept watching me when I put the food out. The flyers still came and even at 6am the one was still eating.
I wonder what happened to the others. They would be alot safer if they used the nest boxes. I keep telling them.

Thats all the news here for now.
Mary

peep
NFSA Member

Postby peep » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:59 pm

Likely they are nesting right now, Mary. Just imagine all the little mommies are cuddling their pups right now!

Know what you mean about the hawks and owls. We had a screech owl take up residence just before we had to "de-forest" the old trees around the house. We also watch the hawks & eagles hunt daily in the pasture across from us. They're picking off field mice and moles. As it turned out, neither the tree cutting or the owl bothered my wild flyer population. They're out singing every night and/or running through my attic!
peep
State and Federal permit holder

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:39 am

Thats sounds good. Mommy's feeding babies. Don't the daddys want to eat? I don't think their all "livin on love". :twisted:

That would be fun to have FS squirrels in the attic. I only get mice in the kitchen.

I am happy to hear your FS are staying safe. Those owls and hawks are very welcome to the moles. We have hundreds of them that tear up our yards around here.

We had a hard winter the last couple of months. I hope all the FS made it through.

Mary

Return to “Wild Flyers”