Nest box activity

Information about releasing flyers to the wild, removing them from the home and attracting them to your yard.
yellowdogs3
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Nest box activity

Postby yellowdogs3 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:38 am

My wild flyers have been visiting very infrequently since about May. Same thing happened last year, they disappeared around May/June and returned end of October. However, in the last week or so, I have seen a flyer(s) and started setting out feed again. Last night, I happened to look out and see a flyer on the nest box I have. I gathered up some feed and went out. This flyer was busy stuffing leaves and small twigs into the box. Is it nesting season here in southeast Wisconsin? I am located just north of the Illinois border, midway between Chicago and Milwaukee. I would have thought they would already have had their babies by now. This is the first time I have seen them putting anything into the box and the flyer had no interst in the food I put out which included some peanut butter. Usually, they are quick to come down for that. No interest, just kept taking leaves into the box. This flyer did look quite chubby, might it be a pregnant one getting ready to pop? I will keep a closer watch and let you know if indeed she or he is back and doing the same again.

Thanks for any input.

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Nest box activity

Postby Joan » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:30 am

Northern flyers ... which you probably have, usually have one litter a year in the spring. Southerns ... which you may have, usually have 2 litters a year in spring and fall. There are always some that have more litters at off time; so it is possible to get a litter now.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

yellowdogs3
NFSA Member

Postby yellowdogs3 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:47 am

Joan,
thanks for the quick answer. I looked at the range maps and I am at least 200 miles from the northern's range, but in the southern's. Also read how to tell the difference, but I don't get close enough to see and probably couldn't tell anyway. There is a pic of one of them in the March photo contest, #2, but not very good. I will keep an eye on the box as it is right off my deck. Hopefully it's a she and we'll have some babies raised here.
Thanks again.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:51 am

yellowdogs3 wrote:...There is a pic of one of them in the March photo contest, #2, but not very good.

That looks like a southern and it looks very healthy. :D
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:21 pm

Oh how exciting to be that close to a momma getting ready to give birth to her tiny ones.
Please keep us posted. I know it will be awhile before much activity. Maybe momma would like some juicy mealworms.
I would go crazy with joy if that happenend here. My wild ones leave the box, if they used it for winter, by spring.

Mary

yellowdogs3
NFSA Member

Postby yellowdogs3 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:45 pm

Sunday evening, just before dark, there was a flyer peeking out of the box. I again fixed dinner for ?her? and went outside. She came down about halfway and waited for me to fill the feeder. I got everything in place and went back inside. Last night, Monday evening, earlier than the night before and still light out, she came out and was looking around. I went out with seeds and nuts and some peanut butter on a spoon. She came all the way down and was licking the peanut butter off the spoon as I held it. Also set out some applesauce and a piece of peach. I don't know if it's wishful thinking or for real, but the flyer sure looks a lot chubbier in the belly than I have ever seen before. She was within an arms reach from me and it was still light out, so I got a pretty good look at her abdomen. I am keeping my fingers crossed that she is pregnant and will stay until the pups are active so I can watch them grow. It's in a pretty quiet area, and the flyers that do come in, seem to have adapted to what little human traffic there is around the tree. I'll keep you posted on any developments. Thanks for your interest.

Debbie

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:47 pm

Could be all that peanut butter. :twisted:

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:24 am

Wow licking peanut butter off of the spoon? She is one sweet girl.

I only have about 3 or 4 around here, that will come down when I am close to the tree and we "talk" but I stay a little over arms length. I make peanut butter crackers for them alot and put it in the jar feeders. I am getting very low on frozen acorns so try to keep most for my Peanut.

Looks like you have a special friend and will need to stock up on those nuts.

Mary

Return to “Wild Flyers”