Nest box cleaning

Information about releasing flyers to the wild, removing them from the home and attracting them to your yard.
yellowdogs3
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Nest box cleaning

Postby yellowdogs3 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:21 pm

OK, I did a search both on here and Google for the right time to clean my outdoor nest box. It has been in use for about a year and a half, on and off, nostly on. One of the sites I found said to clean during winter months as the box will be empty, however, I have had almost daily activity all thru the winter. I know they are using the box, as they sometimes peak out just before dusk, so they have been in the box all day. I also read that if the box is too dirty they will abandon it.
Am I supposed to clean this out during the day? I would hate to disturb them, and can arrange for it to be done when they come out at night. Is it to be stripped down completely, all debris removed? Then fresh bedding, i.e. shredded paper towels, etc, added? One of the main things I am worried about is if there are babies, but I think it's still too early here in SE Wisc for that. Anybody know for sure when they have them in this area? I thank you in advance for your help!

Debbie

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Nest box cleaning

Postby Joan » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:15 am

I wouldn't worry about cleaning it out. If you find it abandoned, go ahead, but be sure you wear a dust mask as naturalists have been exposed to typhus getting into nests of wild flyers.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

yellowdogs3
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Re: Nest box cleaning

Postby yellowdogs3 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:31 am

Thanks for the reply Joan. I really appreciate the information I get from this site.

Debbie

Return to “Wild Flyers”