Wild Flying Squirrel question

Information about releasing flyers to the wild, removing them from the home and attracting them to your yard.
lwood114
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Wild Flying Squirrel question

Postby lwood114 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:29 pm

Hi, I have a flying squirrel which comes to my feeder every night. I watch it on a infrared camera. I only see one at a time in the feeder which is plenty big enough for more than one. I am wondering if flying squirrels eat together or separate? I am concerned my flying squirrel may not have any other flyers to sleep with at night and have read that is necessary in the winter for warmth. Is it possible there are others and they go to other feeders? I am in tennessee. Thank you, Laurie

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Wild Flying Squirrel question

Postby Joan » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:54 pm

Usually the Alpha female goes to the feeder first. It's possible the others are coming later or they take turns (they all look alike LOL) and it's several not one. Many will come to the feeder at a time, but you may have a brave one or a pig who is keeping the location to herself. Flyers usually do "colony up" in winter to sleep, but a single flyer has a body temperature well over 100 F. If you have one, it's for sure there are others.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

lwood114

Postby lwood114 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:25 pm

Thank you so much for answering. My husband hung a box he built yesterday and I put out stuffing to the inside of a old pillow hoping it might take some and use the house. I'm in love with my little wild flyer (s). :)
Laurie

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:33 pm

She will get very use to you and may even eat from your hand.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

lwood114

Postby lwood114 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:55 pm

That would be awesome! Right now I can't get her to stay with me standing out there, especially with the camera. How do I get her to stay and trust me?
Thanks! Laurie

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:36 pm

Patience and time.

Return to “Wild Flyers”