Still More Bad News

Let folks know about the loss of a precious furball who has joined others over the Rainbow Bridge.
Judy C.

Still More Bad News

Postby Judy C. » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:30 pm

One of my flyers died today - one of the Wild Bunch. (For those of you that don't know, the Wild Bunch lives in a very large outdoor cage. They are all rescue squirrels in one way or another - most have been mistreated and do not trust people - some were trapped from the wild, and then sold to unsuspecting people as pets. I put them in the Wild Bunch cage, and they can make friends or not, as they wish. I have a chair in there where I go and sit and talk to them. Occasionally one becomes trusting and loving again, and is placed as a pet, but most of them don't. Eventually all of them get to the point where they will come sit on my hand or shoulder and go in my pocket for pecans. I have opened the cage for a couple of weeks from time to time, but in all these years, only 2 have ever left. Guess they're all too fat and lazy to have any interest in the great outdoors!)

I found the flyer when I fed tonight, curled up in the hay in a corner, looking as though she just fell asleep on the floor. The only thing I could see wrong with her was some fur around her neck that was sort of stiff, like it had maybe been wet and not groomed out. I am taking her in for a necropsy tomorrow. The problem with the Wild Bunch is that I have no way of knowing their age, or the treatment they had before I got them, although I can usually tell the wild-caught ones. This is the first of the Wild Bunch that has ever died from natural causes, although I have lost two to snakes. (You can never get a cage totally snake proof, but mine is getting better and better as I make improvements.)

Joan, I will send you a copy of the necropsy when I get it.

While we are on such a sad subject, let me add that the wildlife around here is beginning to feel the effects of the damage Rita did, and they are becoming desperate in their search for food. Last Saturday night we lost seven Guinea Pigs. We didn't know what had happened, but Sunday afternoon - in broad daylight - we caught a raccoon in one of the cages, just after he killed another Guinea Pig and my pet rabbit. We are going to be feeding the 'coons dog food instead of guinea pigs in the future - way back in the woods, away from our animals. And after hunting season, we will start feeding the deer - can't do it before, because all the Great White Hunters around here would think nothing of coming on our land to shoot them. And then I would have to shoot the hunters. And then I would go to prison. And then ya'll would be stuck with dividing up my flyers and taking care of them! So you can easily see why we won't feed the deer until after hunting season closes!

All in all, it's been a bad week for us and our critters. On the up side, we have 4 greys now being released, two more that are outside almost ready, and two more that are still inside. And one of the fox squirrels we released this spring still comes around and eats out of our hand, as do quite a few of our released greys. That's the GOOD part of rehabbing, and what keeps you going when you loose one!

I will let ya'll know what the necropsy shows.

Judy

gwsgrand
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby gwsgrand » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:39 pm

Judy I am so very sorry about all your losses. We will be watching for your report on the flyer. Good luck and God Bless.
:queen: Ms. BayBea Belle, :tink: Tinkerbelle,
:fly: Linus, :occasion2: Baby Oops, and :love1: Daphne

Gail's (Deep South Home for Flyer Foundlings )

marilyn
NFSA Member

Postby marilyn » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:44 pm

Oh Judy,
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss! You do such a great job with all your rescues. It's obvious that they like it there since they choose to stay. Keep up the good work.
Burl is doing wonderfully; fat and sassy! He sends his love.

Marilyn
Marilyn & David
Owned by Dixie, Heidi & Houdini
In Loving Memory of Burl

Totty
NFSA Member

Postby Totty » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:51 pm

Oh, Judy I am sorry to hear about losing 1 of the Wild Bunch Flyers and your 7 guinea pigs and 1 pet rabbit. I am new here and still learning everyone. How many are in your Wild Bunch group? It seems like we are loosing so many little babies. Please let us know what you find out too on your little ones neocropsy.

I will keep you and your family in my prayers too.
Anita

Flyers: Okie(F) & Rosie(F) & Texas "Tex"(M)
Baby Squirrel Mindy Sue (F)

Sugargliders : 60 + babies

In Sweet Memory of my baby flyers.
Rest in Peace my little ones:
Twiggy (M) & Grayson (M)

Anita Rae
NFSA Member
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Anita Rae » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:17 pm

Wow, it just seems to keep coming. You have already been through so much. I am sorry to hear about your little ones. People don't realize what one of these storms does to the food source. It is great that you help the wildlife by feeding them. You know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Moca
Flying Furball

Postby Moca » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:12 am

I am so very sorry about this...I hope the problem is not somrthing that can be spread to other flyers.
I always enjoy your stories about the wild bunch.
Protect wildlife,keep ye cat indoors.
www.abcbirds.org
:coffee: Moca

Jme
Teen HOF

Postby Jme » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:42 pm

Oh how sad! I also have some bad news. My ferret is dying of cancer. I can't do anything for him. Our vet says he is not in pain. So I just have to keep him as happy as possible. He is losing weight and his hair will start to fall out. Yesterday his collar had slipped down to his stomach he has lost so much. But his spirit is up and he is still his naughty little self. Again I am sorry for your 9 losses!
Jme

Pam
NFSA Member

Postby Pam » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:49 pm

I am so sorry Judy...God Bless You...Pam!
Pam, Abbey and Binky ..PeeWee..4 very happy souls

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Still More Bad News

Postby Joan » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:13 pm

[quote="Judy C."] ... Joan, I will send you a copy of the necropsy when I get it.

Thanks Judy. I'm really sorry about all these losses. Some time ago, I found one of my button quail decapitated and the head on the garage floor. I think a raccoon did this too.

This is the first of the Wild Bunch that has ever died from natural causes, although I have lost two to snakes. (You can never get a cage totally snake proof, but mine is getting better and better as I make improvements.)

I was thinking about this the other day and wondered if it would help to cover the hardware cloth with regular screening. No snake could get through that.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Jme
Teen HOF

Postby Jme » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:11 pm

Is the bottom of the cage also screened? It would keep them from getting up into it.
Jme

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:33 am

I tried to post this earlier, but my keyboard stopped working! I got the results of the necropsy on Friday. My Wild Child died from a tumor the size of a pea on her intestines. (The size of a pea in something the size of a flyer is a very large tumor.) It had cut off circulation to part of her intestines, and that part was already dead. I did not have tissue samples done, since the cause of death was obvious.

Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts - losing a flyer is always hard, and it seems like the last one hurts just as much as the first one. Whether they are flyers that have owned your heart for a long time, or rescues you have just gotten, it's hard to cope with the fact that you have lost a piece of magic.

Judy

The Boo's Char
Juvie Pup

Postby The Boo's Char » Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:55 pm

Judy, I am so sorry that you have lost one of your fur babies. I couldn't imagine losing BooToo or Lil Bitsy Boo, sometimes while i'm playing with them, the thought crosses my mind and I start crying. But BooToo always comes to the rescue, putting his little hands on my lips and looking at me in the eye or getting on my hand and placing one of his tiny little hands on one of my fingers and then stares at me as to say "What's wrong mommy?" Of coarse that makes me cry even harder.
Are tumors common in flyers?

Again I am trully sorry for your loss! Love and prayers are sent your way.

Joe
NFSA Member

In the midst

Postby Joe » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:14 pm

Dear Judy: I can't imiagine how special it would be to sit in that cage with so many flyers! :gliding: :gliding: :gliding: :gliding: :gliding: :gliding: :gliding: :gliding: :gliding: :gliding: :gliding: :gliding: :gliding: :gliding: :gliding: :gliding: :gliding: :gliding: :gliding: :gliding: :gliding: :gliding: :gliding: :smt107 . What a treat!
I feel a prt of your pain, even the little rascals are still close to our hearts. With a BIG heart comes Big rewards. Please know our thoughts are with you.
Are these tumors something we should have our vets look for? I vote again on a book about our little angels. So many of you have such valuable information about these little angels it woud make quite a book.
Sincerely Joe
Joe
Spice's HOF

Jme
Teen HOF

Postby Jme » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:28 pm

Are flyers prone to tumors? I know that mice can get them, I had a mouse get a huge one really fast, it was as big a a peanut in the shell. It developed in 4 days. She had to be put down. Again I am sorry for you losing your little flyer.
Jme

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:35 pm

[quote="Jme"] ... Are flyers prone to tumors?

We just don't know much about causes of death in flyers. That's why Judy had the necropsy done. Until we have more necropsies, we won't know if there are common causes of death or if any are preventable.
Kevin & Emma lost their Sami and had a necropsy. The vet found a blood clot on the heart as well as an atrophied kidney. She had a visable wound that wouldn't heal that was a tumor. Anita is waiting for the results of the necropsy she had done on Grayson.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Pam
NFSA Member

Postby Pam » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:46 pm

I lost my first flyer.her name is Buggy. I had a nercrosy done on here.She had an ulcerated stomach. and a hemmoraging heart. I was so devastated, but it did help me, because was my first, and thought i did something wrong...Pam
Pam, Abbey and Binky ..PeeWee..4 very happy souls

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:43 pm

If any of you that have had necropsies would like to help the NFSA track causes of death, send the following information to me:

1. HOF's name:
2. Name of flyer:
3. Date of Birth:
4. Date of death:
5. Age at death:
6. Sex
7. Wild or captive born:
8. Symptoms of flyer prior to death:
9. Foods eaten (Diet?):
10. Supplements:
11. Necropsy report:
12. Vet's name, address:
13. Necropsy Cost:

Drayah
Juvie Pup

Postby Drayah » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:36 pm

I think this is a very good idea...if we can promise to keep up.

I wish I had taken in the little flyer that just passed to find out what happened. We know so little...we can only learn so much.

Return to “Flyer Death Announcements”