Our lil Girls

Let folks know about the loss of a precious furball who has joined others over the Rainbow Bridge.
whiz
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Our lil Girls

Postby whiz » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:16 pm

Folks, I wish I had found this web site much sooner than last night.

Last night our two girls left us. Thelma and Louise were sisters raised together since birth. Both girls were extremely young by all captive standards I've ever found. We received the girls in January 2008 from a breeder in California who is a friend of a friend. I don't know a thing about breeders, but both of our girls were very well adjusted to us within a few days.

Yesterday after coming home from work, I went upstairs to our office in the house to pay some bills. I had my back to the girls for a few minutes while handling phone calls and such. I heard them behind me trying to get my attention as usual, after I was done with my phone calls/bills I turned around and noticed they were out of water and that Louise looked awful. I filled their bowl and the automatic water dispenser ( they've never had an issue with it) and both of them acted like they were very dehydrated. I work for the government so I visit my girls at the crack of dawn every morning before I go to work and their water was fine. I know they had water yesterday morning before I left the house. They were fine when I went to work, jumping and playing, Thelma was even raising Cain on her wodent wheel. To make a long story short, after noticing the lack of water, I called Sabrina (my significant other) to bring home some pedialyte fast. We spent the next hour comforting the girls trying to get them into better shape, but I'm afraid we were to late. Both girls died within 5 minutes of each other.

We're not sure why or how and I've been beating myself up since last night trying to think of anything that I overlooked. Nothing changed in their environment, they showed no signs until yesterday afternoon, and death was rather quick (about two hours after the first indication something was wrong. The worst part, after the water both girls started acting better, then they took a sudden turn for the worse about 20 minutes before they passed. Had I found this site long ago I would have preserved them, to send off for testing. As I said, I found this site last night after they died. By the time I found this web site, we had already placed both girls in their favorite sleeping pouch and gave them a proper burial.

Last night was hard for Sabrina and I, trying to sleep last night was even harder. I'd become quite used to hearing Thelma giving the Wodent Wheel a run for it's money. At this point, I'm not sure we're ready for any more kids until I can narrow down what happened. I've looked their cage over thoroughly and checked everything around their environment. Without knowing what happened I'm quite afraid there is something that might happen to any other flyers we might be able to find.

Here are a couple of pictures, please forgive the butt shot, but these are the only two pics I have of the girls together. Both shots were shortly after they adopted us in Jan. and before they were moved to their big cage (taller then I am) in the office.
Please call me Whiz

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Our lil Girls

Postby Joan » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:43 pm

[quote="whiz"]Folks, I wish I had found this web site much sooner than last night. Last night our two girls left us.

I'm so sorry to hear this. I know you must be deeply distressed.

... after I was done with my phone calls/bills I turned around and noticed they were out of water and that Louise looked awful... I visit my girls at the crack of dawn every morning before I go to work and their water was fine. I know they had water yesterday morning before I left the house.

Did they have water, the morning they died? It seems very strange that missing a day of water would kill them.

We're not sure why or how and I've been beating myself up since last night trying to think of anything that I overlooked.

Ill flyers can go VERY quickly.

Nothing changed in their environment, they showed no signs until yesterday afternoon, and death was rather quick (about two hours after the first indication something was wrong.

This sudden a death sounds more like some kind of infection.

The worst part, after the water both girls started acting better, then they took a sudden turn for the worse about 20 minutes before they passed.

It's not at all unusual for animals (an humans) to seemingly get better just before dying.

Had I found this site long ago I would have preserved them, to send off for testing. As I said, I found this site last night after they died. By the time I found this web site, we had already placed both girls in their favorite sleeping pouch and gave them a proper burial.

Not knowing is dreadful, but often even a necropsy can't give a definite answer.

Last night was hard for Sabrina and I, trying to sleep last night was even harder.

I certainly can appreciate that.

At this point, I'm not sure we're ready for any more kids until I can narrow down what happened. I've looked their cage over thoroughly and checked everything around their environment. Without knowing what happened I'm quite afraid there is something that might happen to any other flyers we might be able to find.

Are there any other animals in the house?

Know you did your best and they are at peace and waiting for you.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

whiz

Postby whiz » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:57 pm

Joan,
Thanks for your reply.

I'm 99.9% positive that they had half of their automatic water bottle before I left for work. Usually with the two of them a full bottle lasts a minimum of 3-4 days.

Yes, Joan we have 3 of our four legged (dogs) friends that live downstairs, two of which sleep in our room (upstairs) at bed time. We keep them separated from the lil girls always though(none of the dogs have ever been within 5-6 ft of their cage). The two dogs that sleep in our room only come upstairs at bed time and get closed in the room with us. To clarify, Thelma and Louise's cage is in our office upstairs, about ten ft. from our bed room door (yet close enough I could hear the wodent wheel going at night through the door (grin)).

Again, we're really at a loss as to what happened. Sabrina's best friend has Thelma and Louise's brother Bean. Bean owns a doctor for a mommy and she told us the same thing (possible infection of some sort). I would love to put my finger on a cause, so I could spread the word of any warning to Bean's mommy and other flyer families.
Please call me Whiz

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:47 pm

whiz wrote:... Sabrina's best friend has Thelma and Louise's brother Bean. Bean owns a doctor for a mommy and she told us the same thing (possible infection of some sort).

For both to go so quickly, I think your friend is correct. Read about Peep's tragedy: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=6843
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Vickie
NFSA Member

Postby Vickie » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:06 pm

I'm so sorry to hear you lost your little girls. These little ones can really fill the heart.
First Barnie, and now Jimmy--Zing, went the strings of my heart!

Return to “Flyer Death Announcements”