Dear Jorge: Please meet me at the Rainbow Bridge. Love, Eric

Let folks know about the loss of a precious furball who has joined others over the Rainbow Bridge.
Eric
NFSA Member

Dear Jorge: Please meet me at the Rainbow Bridge. Love, Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:05 am

Jorge (or George, Po, Po-Po, etc. - he had lots of nicknames) was our first and only flyer. He was born in late March 2006 and we got him in May of that year when he was about 6 weeks old from Dennis Q. My wife and I loved him instantly and he became part of our family right away. We let him out of his cage every evening and he loved exploring and finding new hiding spots, lookout points, stashing places, and nap spots all around our house. He was so funny with all of his little routines. We were always very careful and took time to make sure our house was safe for him. The hardest time was always when we had guests. So we usually just left him in his cage when people were over - just to be safe.

He died Friday December 26, 2008, just a few months shy of his third birthday. It's been over a week now and I've been so grief stricken that I've started and stopped this message many times just trying to think of something to say. We've been so sad.

We had guests over for the holidays. After almost three days in his cage, I knew Jorge was restless. I took his cage to our bedroom (a place he knew well from his travels over the years) and let him out. I figured I would keep him contained in our room by stuffing a towel under the door. Unfortunately, the towel did not keep him in - he wanted to wander around as per his usual evening routine. I'm sure he had places to go and stashes to check on. We don't blame our guests for forgetting to close the lid on the toilet - it's just habit for people, even if you remind them. My wife found him and called for me. I grabbed him right away. My first thought was to get the water out of his little lungs and I tried to pump his chest a couple times. But I knew he was gone. After sitting in the bedroom in a state of shock for hours, I put Jorge in the fleece pouch he loved so much and buried him in our yard under a large tree that is shelter for several gray squirrels. It was the middle of the night, but I had to do something and I sure couldn't sleep. I put a note in his pouch with him letting him know how special he was.

Po-Po was the best. He added so much to our lives. I had hoped he would be around for a lot longer. I hoped he would be around to help teach our two month old daughter about things like compassion and kindness to animals. Our house feels quieter and emptier now. Evenings around the house aren’t the same without him. I miss him so much.

Dear Jorge:

You were a great squirrel. You have no idea how much you filled our hearts and added to our lives. Just having you around was a treat.

When I would walk through the house past one of your spots you always seemed excited to see me as you bobbed your head to gauge your jump to me. Thanks for making me feel special. Even when you were bad, I just couldn’t ever really get mad at you. I would just repair or replace what you had chewed and that was that. Even when you chewed on my guitar a few weeks ago, I wasn't mad at all because you were just an innocent little squirrel and I figured I could take care of it with some extra fine sandpaper and a little stain. Now I wouldn’t even dream of fixing it, your little teeth marks on the head just give it character and remind me of you. I was finally able to pick it up again for the first time yesterday. The squirrel Christmas tree ornament that we have (you know, the one you chewed the ear off of) will remind us every year of how special you were. But I'm sure I'll remember that all the time anyway.

I hope you had a nice life. If I was half as much to you as you were to me, I would be happy knowing that you did. I miss you terribly. I’ll miss finding nuts in my shoes and coats. I’ll miss eating cookies at night and having you swoop in out of nowhere to try to grab one out of my hand. I’ll miss seeing you poke your head out of your pouch when you were thinking about getting up. I’ll miss rubbing your little head and watching your eyes get all sleepy. I’ll miss laughing at you as you made stops in your cage throughout the evening just so you could get a quick run and spin in your stealth wheel. I’ll miss everything about you.

Thanks for being a great squirrel, the best pet ever, and an amazing friend. I’ll see you at the Rainbow Bridge, my friend. Please wait for me there. I’m sorry.

Love,

Eric

Chippy
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Re: Dear Jorge: Please meet me at the Rainbow Bridge. Love, Eric

Postby Chippy » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:12 am

How my heart aches for you and your family right now. I am also terrified when we have company. I pray your time of grieving will become times filled with joyful memories. You gave him a wonderful home and a life that only a squirrel could dream of from a squamfamily. He is with His Creator now and I'm sure he is having the best time now. Take care. M...
Martie.....
Proud HOF of Chipper & Cali!

Zoe, I will listen in heaven for your hoof beat.
Gizmo, may you keep God's feet warm.

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:54 pm

Eric, I'm so sorry for youe loss. I hope you will get another flyer soon ... in memory of Jorge.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:09 pm

So sorry Eric. I know how lossing a precious pet by accident hurts. Please do honor Jorge by adopting again.
We have had our flyers in "lockdown" too much over the Holidays too. So much company and confusion. Our daughter is still home from collage, and she is not the most reliable about the toilet seat either. But she did promise to be extra careful so I could let them out last night. We spent the night checking behind each other :roll:
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

lucy10177
NFSA Member

Postby lucy10177 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:33 pm

sooo sorry to hear about jorge!!!! what a beautiful letter you wrote to him i'm still wiping tears :( i also have a fear of that toilet....sounds like he had a lot of love while he was with you and just take comfort in knowing that he knew how much you loved him and he will be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge.
paula

toiveajattelu
Flying Furball

Postby toiveajattelu » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:04 pm

I'm in tears! You loved Jorge so much that I can't help but love him too. What a wonderful time you two had. I wish it could have lasted longer.

lynn
Flying Furball

Postby lynn » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:56 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss. Isn't it amazing how such a small creature can have a large impact on our lives? I think my guys might be related to Jorge; I'll have to look at the birthdate on my receipt from Dennis. If we have spring babies, and you are interested, I will put your name first on the list!
Lynn's spastic nuts: Bunpei, Boeing, Calypso, Dixie, and Piper.

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:30 am

i'm so sorry for your loss. jorge knows how much you loved him, and he is waiting for you.
- alyssa -

- HOF to shylo... my pretty squirrel girl -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -

Tamis
Flying Furball

Postby Tamis » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:00 am

OH eric, :puppydogeyes:
I am so sorry Jorge met that fate. You wrote such a beautiful tribute to his life. I know how much it hurts. I have been randomly sobbing all week. I havent even brought myself to touch his home. I keep hoping my husband will do it while i am at work. I wish you a healthy healing process. It isnt easy. just focus on the happy times and the joy you know you brought to his little life.

Eric
NFSA Member

Postby Eric » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:14 am

Thank you everyone for the kind words. It really does help hearing from other people who have been touched by these amazing animals. I just want to get to the point where I can think about him and just feel happy remembering how great he was. It’s tough but I’m getting there, I just miss him like crazy. I know that I’ll get another one someday. Right now I just don’t know when.

gwsgrand
NFSA Member

Postby gwsgrand » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:00 am

:( Eric I am so sorry to hear about your loss. We have had a flyer to get into the commode but thank goodness we found him in time. That is one of my greatest fears with having flyers. Even now with them out on their own special screened porch we are very careful to make sure the lids are always closed. Our oldest Ms. BayBea Belle Slipped in the house one day and thankgoodness we found her in the living room.
I really hope you will find it in your heart later on down the road to adopt another wonderful flyer.
We have pictures up of our flyers and even the ones we have lost. Yes it hurts so bad but as each day comes and goes you can start remembering and smiling about the "fun times" you have had with Jorge.
You and your wife are in our prayers.
:queen: Ms. BayBea Belle, :tink: Tinkerbelle,
:fly: Linus, :occasion2: Baby Oops, and :love1: Daphne

Gail's (Deep South Home for Flyer Foundlings )

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:06 pm

Eric, I am so sorry about your loss. I lost my first one, Scoot the same way, so I truly do know what you are going thru. I would have never made it thru if not for the wonderful people on here & adopting Pistol from Joan. One can never replace the loss of one of these precious babies but getting another soon after helped me get thru.
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.
In Loving Memory of Scoot, whom I will always miss!!

Wolfbrat
NFSA Member

Postby Wolfbrat » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:10 am

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Once these little furballs have nested in your heart, they occupy it forever.
I miss you Ambush and Hijack. Wo de xin.

Eric
NFSA Member

Postby Eric » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:13 am

Thanks guys. We just miss him a lot. It's just hard, and I think that losing him the way we did made it harder for us.

mbenefield
NFSA Member

Postby mbenefield » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:00 am

I also lost my baby Keba Saturday night the 31st to the dreaded bathroom potty.

I had a friend go in there and she didn't put the lid down. I know it was an accident and she didn't realize the danger of it... but it cost me my baby girl!!!

I am horrified for you because I know how I feel right now. That every second of the day I have to fight the picture in my head of finding her in there. She definitly left me with a great memory. She was the most lovey I have ever seen her Saturday afternoon. She just let me rub and rub and scratch her and just layed in the crease of my arm for the longest time.

I hate that I wasn't there for her when she needed me the most. I still have that fear of her calling out for my help and me not beign there to save her. We always said she "weet weeted" for us to come play when she woke up. And I know she was watching for me to come get her and I never showed up. I feel like I betrayed her by not being there for her when she needed me.

flyer_1
NFSA Member
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby flyer_1 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:25 pm

I didn't see this post early because I don't like to look under this part of the board but I'm so sorry for your great loss I just wanted to say that i know It was along time ago but I just wanted you to know when I saw this. It's really nice of you to not blame your guests because I would be upset at them, good for you take care :(
I'm not NUTS I just mimic

R.I.P Taz

Return to “Flyer Death Announcements”