Lost eight Southern Flyers...

Let folks know about the loss of a precious furball who has joined others over the Rainbow Bridge.
joe1275
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Lost eight Southern Flyers...

Postby joe1275 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:38 pm

I am quite devastated. About two weeks ago, I heard noises in the attic and set a Havahart trap. Within two days, I caught eight beautiful little Southern Flyers - the first I had ever seen. I had no idea how adorable they are. I found this board while researching information and cages - I figured I'd have to at least house them until Spring. A few days ago, they started dying, one by one - I believe that before I caught them, they got into D-con mouse poison, which I have learned uses Brodifacoum as the primary ingredient. This horrible stuff, sometimes called "super warfarin" takes a few days to get going, but once it gets into their system, it is impossible to save them. It took me two days to track down some vitamin K-1, the only antidote, but by then it was to late. I don't know why they don't, at the very least, sell K-1 right next to the poison...

Anyway, the last one is just barely clinging to life and probably won't make it through the day. I feel pretty horrible and wish I could somehow replace them...

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Re: Lost eight Southern Flyers...

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:16 pm

Oh that is so sad! I'm so sorry you had to go through that. They are precious little babes...and they are in a better place. I hope the last one is tough and hangs in there, you two will be in my prayers.
Shannon, mom to Sandy, Daisy, Jack, Zooey and three human teenagers! :)

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:17 pm

So sorry you had to experience this.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

joe1275

Postby joe1275 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:48 pm

The last one just passed. They are all gone...

Joe
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby Joe » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:01 pm

so very sorry, a BIG thank you for trying to save them, life will reward you for your efforts
Joe
Spice's HOF

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:31 pm

So sorry Joe...
Shannon, mom to Sandy, Daisy, Jack, Zooey and three human teenagers! :)

joe1275

Postby joe1275 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:22 am

SO, it's been over a week since the last one passed and two weeks since I caught the last one in the attic and all has been quiet... I almost removed the Havahart trap yesterday, but left it in place. At two in the morning this morning, we were awakened by the rattle of the cage - I went up there and another one had found it's way in. I just pray it didn't find any remnants of the poison first (I removed the mouse bait stations weeks ago). I can't imagine where he came from at this point. Does anyone know if it is worth putting some vitamin K1 in his food, just to be safe? Right now, he (she?) seems to be very healthy!

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:33 am

If you removed the bait weeks ago, this is likely a new flyer that got in the same way the others did.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “Flyer Death Announcements”