End of life?

Let folks know about the loss of a precious furball who has joined others over the Rainbow Bridge.
Joey
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

End of life?

Postby Joey » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:22 pm

Hello all. I haven't been active on here for quite a while, but come now with some worrisome remarks and an important question. Roscoe, who has had me as a HOF since he was nursing, has recently had a decline in health. He turned 11yo in March and has been without any noticeable health issues until this month. I noticed in early June, he started acting very jumpy (even to my touch) and overall peculiar in his movements (more so than usual!). He is seemingly lethargic yet still moves quickly, sporadically, but at times aimlessly. In the past couple of days, he has started sleeping in a new location - a nestbox that he hasn't slept in since he was a baby. Today, I noticed he has accumulated urine in his groin area, and doesn't seem to care. His respiration is exaggerated and he seems to be drinking more. I suspect kidney failure. I have just cleaned him up a little, and given him a few of his favorite treats (pine nuts), and nutri-cal, as well as an ice cube to chew on. I know he has had a full life, and fear it is coming to an end. Is there anything you can recommend to help him or at least make him more comfortable?

I have referred to these messageboards for many years, and appreciate all of the helpful information.

Thanks,
Joey

Anne27
Baby Flyer
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: End of life?

Postby Anne27 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:43 am

I am so sorry to hear your buddy is failing. From what you wrote about his change I would say that he has simply begun to show his age. He may have years ahead of him to be with you. I would suggest that you support him with extra calcium, my old fellows get a berry flavored children's Tums once a week. He will nibble on it, and the Tums will help aging bones from becoming so brittle. He may be losing his sight, so I would remove him to a shorter cage to reduce the possibility of falls, also restrict the number of toys,playthings in with him. He may have returned to his nest box to feel safer since his sight isn't as good was it was. Hope this will help both of you feel better. :D

Return to “Flyer Death Announcements”