Strongyloides robustus

A place for rehabbers to consult with one another.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Strongyloides robustus

Postby Joan » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:07 pm

Got this info from Thomas Nolan, Ph.D. a veterinarian Parasitologist, on treating the parasite Strongyloides robustus found in all wild southern flyers. This parasite is not a problem in healthy flyers, but old, ill or immuno-compromised ones can succumb to it.

I have not been able to find any information on the treatment of this parasite, or any other nematode parasite in squirrels. In dogs we treat Strongyloides infections with one of 2 drugs: Ivermectin (one dose given orally at 0.2 mg/kg) and fenbendazole (one dose each day for 5 days at 50 mg/kg). I suggest you try the fenbendazole (sold as Panacur or Safe Guard) which is available from your veterinarian (and in some areas it is in pet stores), as it has been proven safe in all mammals it has been tried in. I suggest you talk to your veterinarian about how to make up the proper dosage for your squirrels. The problem with the fenbendazole is it is a powder and thus difficult to get into the squirrel (although your vet may have a liquid form), you can mix it with wet food, but be sure the animal eats the entire dose.

If you decide to use the Ivermectin (a very concentrated liquid which can be purchased in stores which sell horse and cattle supplies) I suggest you only treat one animal and see how it reacts over the next day or two before you treat the rest of the squirrels. This drug can have neurological side effects in some animals.

To prevent reinfection, clean the squirrels cage daily while they are being treated and for a few days after the treatment has ended. This will prevent the free-living stages of the parasite from developing to the infectious stage.
Last edited by Joan on Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:26 pm

Tom always gives his rescues Albon and Trimethoprim-Sulfamethoxazole (Tribrissen) 15 mg/kg BID  It's veterinary-approved and also known as TMP-SDZ, SDZ-TMP, Co-trimazine (Tom swears by this stuff!) You can always get this from a vet by saying you're rehabbing a rescued flyer. The Albon is for Strongyloides robustus which all wild flyers carry. It's not usually a problem unless flyer is sick or old. The Tribrissen will kill any bacterial infections. Here's a list of what flyers can have: http://www.flyingsquirrels.com/parasites.html 

http://uwstudentfpweb.uwyo.edu/J/JPAULI ... %20JWD.pdf
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Moca
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Re: Strongyloides robustus

Postby Moca » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:47 pm

The dose given of Ivermectin to rats is the size of a grain of rice and is placed behind one ear. I'd say half that or less for a sfs.
Protect wildlife,keep ye cat indoors.
www.abcbirds.org
:coffee: Moca

lynn
Flying Furball

Postby lynn » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:54 am

The medication is placed behind the ear on the fur? Or injected? I'm familiar with oral Ivo; never heard of a topical dose. It is one of those drugs that has bad side effects if overdosed, so I'd want to dilute and measure carefully based on the weight of the squirrel.
Lynn's spastic nuts: Bunpei, Boeing, Calypso, Dixie, and Piper.

Moca
Flying Furball

Postby Moca » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:11 pm

Yes,in the fur behind the ear..it's very dangerious if consumed in one fell swoop...This way it's gradually consumed as the animal cleans itself.
If your really paranoid,use a smaller amount and repeat as needed.
Protect wildlife,keep ye cat indoors.

www.abcbirds.org

:coffee: Moca

lynn
Flying Furball

Postby lynn » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:48 pm

Interesting. We use Ivermectin in carefully measured oral doses, based on the animal's weight. I have never put it behind the ear, or anywhere else on the body. Never had a neurological problem, either, although a colleague did when she mis-measured a stronger version of the same medication. That baby died; we have treated mange for 25 years plus. You learn something new every day!
Lynn's spastic nuts: Bunpei, Boeing, Calypso, Dixie, and Piper.

Return to “Rehabbers Retreat”