Tom Has a New Challenge

A place for rehabbers to consult with one another.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Tom Has a New Challenge

Postby Joan » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:07 pm

Three male pinkies were brought to his gray squirrel rehabber friend, Connie. They were found by a woman that saw the nest fall from the tree. She placed it back in the tree, but the mother never came back. The nest fell again and the dog got it; so the woman brought the whole thing to Connie. Connie always calls Tom to come take all flyer pups that she gets.
They are only a couple of days old and have been without food for over a day. Tom has them started on pedialyte. He hopes he can get them healthy and adoptable.

"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Deb
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby Deb » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:44 pm

omg! Look at the size of them in relation to that paper towel pattern! God Speed Squirrel Whisperer :)
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

Airstreamlady
NFSA Member

Postby Airstreamlady » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:08 pm

Oh my Gosh. I enjoyed mine when they were that young so much. I hope the best for them and I know Tom can make them live.
- Patti -
The Official Poopologist
Squammy to Peaches and Sweet Pea

Bejammie
NFSA Member

Postby Bejammie » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:01 pm

they are so teeny!!! AWWW!!! I hope they all make great recoveries. The flyer world is so lucky to have Tom.
♠ Allison ♠
Squammy to Delilah and Timber
-Always remembering my little wild guy, Sprocket- gliding free in those southern breezes-
-The life of a lamb is no less precious to me than that of a human being.- Ghandi

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:28 pm

Tom was up every hour with the babies. One of them seems very weak and is very red. They all try to eat. Of course, it is such a tiny amount. Tom has not been able to see them pee, but he does stimulate them. One pooped a bit this morning. They will get a full strength formula today. They had only Pedialyte up until 4:00 AM this morning; then Tom switched to 1/2 strength formula. With the full strength, Tom will add a very tiny amount of honey. He's trying to keep the temp of their bed at 95 degrees. He knows the body temps are normally higher, but they seem comfortable with the 95 degree surroundings. They are so delicate and it is hard to handle them. The general condition is guarded and one worries Tom more than the other two. Tom will keep working with them. They are getting attention every hour (Glad Tom doesn't sleep a lot). Tom will keep us all posted, but this is a long shot and he appreciates you support. Send a prayer for the little ones ... and Tom.
Last edited by Joan on Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Lora
NFSA Member

Postby Lora » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:08 pm

You got it Joan! If anyone can save them it's Tom. Please keep us updated.

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:53 pm

oh i am praying for these pups! they are so little! i hope they make it!
- alyssa -

- HOF to shylo... my pretty squirrel girl -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:29 am

Tom has changed the feedings to full formula with a bit of honey and is feeding every two hours now. The smallest baby is still hanging in, but he is very hard to feed. Tom was able to get him to poop this morning and after he got a rather hard obstruction out, the pup really went a lot. Tom hopes this is why he was acting more sluggish than the other two. One of the other ones went also. Tom still have not been able to see the last one go, but is encouraged by the progress even though it has been less than two full days.

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:07 pm

I am so glad they are improving. I am praying for these little ones and I feel sure Tom will pull them thru it.
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.
In Loving Memory of Scoot, whom I will always miss!!

krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby krups1110 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:00 pm

Wow, they are so small! Best of luck to Tom and the little ones!
Chris
Proud HOF to Nieve
3-24-06
Thank you always Avalon!

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:27 am

any update on the pups?
- alyssa -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -

ickerus
NFSA Member

Postby ickerus » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:28 pm

We will keep Tom and the little ones in our prayers...

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:52 pm

The three little pinks are doing very well. One still has a problem with his exhaust pipe but Tom clears it every day. They eagerly await the feeding and crawl around a lot, Tom has named them Huey, Dewey and Paderuski (Paderuski is the pee-anist).

Kay
NFSA Member

Postby Kay » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:07 pm

Wowza! Look at that growth!! They have totally changed shape and color. I'm still hoping for flyers. Seems like December is a good time around here.

We're still getting in grays -- this is the latest ever -- and it has been heart-breaking. Several have been away from mom for so long that they're past treatment. I "think" I can smell them once their organs start to shut down. It's kind of chemical. Anyone know what I mean?? I lost one last week that tried so hard to catch up and grow. Now I have two girls with that same kind of smell and gray poops. They have also had longer fur, like the body is trying to compensate for no food to stay warm. They are coming up to people for help and then they eventually find me, sometimes with not such great help from the WMP.

The babes look GREAT, Tom.
Kay

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:12 pm

Does that middle one really have black toes are is he forging papers. :twisted:

hauk
NFSA Member

black toes

Postby hauk » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:09 pm

I had not noticed that but yes he does have three black toes on his left front foot, Could he be related to the infamous Black creek flyers. Tom

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:46 pm

black toes? aww! they look amazing! great job tom!
- alyssa -

Lora
NFSA Member

Postby Lora » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:58 am

I know exactly what you mean by the smell Kay. I lost a rabbit & a chinchilla that both smelled like that before they died. It's hard to describe but you just know. I did have one experience with a friend's rabbit who had a hair ball lodged in her stomach. She had that smell but we actually managed to disolve the hair ball & pull her through.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:00 pm

These pictures are blurry (I took them) :oops: but they do show Tom feeding the pups one drop at a time with a catheter on a syringe. Note that he places the formula ... drop by drop .... one at a time ... into the pup's mouth. He does not allow them to suck on the catheter because they will get too much and aspirate. After they are fed the proper amount, he will let them suck on the empty tip for oral gratification.

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:34 pm

Very steady hands :D
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

Lora
NFSA Member

Postby Lora » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:12 am

I'd be a nervous wreck working with something that small. You really have a talent Tom. God bless all the rehabbers.

Kay
NFSA Member

Postby Kay » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:07 pm

Look at the size of those fingers compared to the flyers. Very good technique! I wrap pinkies in a kleenex if I'm feeding under a fan or by the AC.
>k<

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:32 pm

That's in Tom's "incubator room". LOL The whole room is heated. :D

Tom just finished giving a demonstration to 11 gray squirrel rehabbers who were losing lots of pinkies. They said his method was much safer than what they had been doing.

hauk
NFSA Member

Pinks

Postby hauk » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:01 am

I have some sad news, Two of the pinks died around 12 hours apart, I have always been quick to tell of the successes and I have to be equally as fast to tell of my failures, My vet did an autopsy on the first to go and the results indicate that the death was my fault, I have always mixed a little honey in the formula but my vet said that can cause a digestive bacterial infection which will kill flyers (especially very young ones that have not developed the immune sustem), I will not make that mistake again but that does not help these little guys, Since I have been rehabbing flyers I have only had five pinks so this mistake was a bad one. When I told how I mix the formula I did not know about this and I had been having success so please use your own judgement when helping your rehabbs, I apologize to you all for this. Tom

Wanda
NFSA Member

Postby Wanda » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:28 am

Tom I'm so sorry to hear about he pinkies. You tried all that you knew and did your best. They wouldn't have had a chance at all without YOU.
Wanda
:flyer:
Owned by Shelly, Rose
:smt049 Peanut, Bud & Dinky Always In My Heart :smt049
Parrot, Miniature Donkey & 1 human
And All My Lil Orphans

majcourt
NFSA Member

Postby majcourt » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:45 am

Tom-
i am so sorry about the babies, but that wasnt your fault- you had a formula that had been successfull in the past- and it made sense- who would think that something natural like honey would cause a problem like that- you have saved countless young animals from certain death- everyone can learn from this-

courtney

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:11 am

Wanda wrote:...You tried all that you knew and did your best. They wouldn't have had a chance at all without YOU.

That's what I said too Wanda. None had any chance when they came in.

majcourt wrote: ... you have saved countless young animals from certain death- everyone can learn from this- courtney

Exactly Courtney ... losses can teach us as much as successes. Pinkie flyers are EXTREMELY difficult and what works for older pups or other squirrels won't necessarily work for them. They are so different from greys that success with them doesn't necessarily translate to flyers. Sharing successes is easy, but sharing failures is where we really learn.

Wanda
NFSA Member

Postby Wanda » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:32 am

Joan wrote:Exactly Courtney ... losses can teach us as much as successes. Pinkie flyers are EXTREMELY difficult and what works for older pups or other squirrels won't necessarily work for them. They are so different from greys that success with them doesn't necessarily translate to flyers. Sharing successes is easy, but sharing failures is where we really learn.

I couln't have said it any better Joan. You are exactly right. It is very sad, but I think we learn a lot more from failures.
Wanda
:flyer:
Owned by Shelly, Rose
:smt049 Peanut, Bud & Dinky Always In My Heart :smt049
Parrot, Miniature Donkey & 1 human
And All My Lil Orphans

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:29 pm

i'm so sorry tom. none of us could have known this would happen. it's amazing that they even made it this long. we all know you work wonders. the remaining pup will be in my prayers.
- alyssa -

Lora
NFSA Member

Postby Lora » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:48 pm

I'm so sorry Tom. Please don't be so hard on yourself. You've had amazing success with these magical little creatures in the past & you will continue to do so. At least we all learned something by this. You still have a chance to pull the remaining little guy through. My prayers are with you on this effort.

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:19 pm

Sorry Tom. Is the third pup OK? Is there an antibiotic that is safe to use that will kill the bacteria from the honey? I know you have had great success with adding honey to your formula for lots of your rescues. Couldn't honey be pastuized or otherwise sterilized so its safe to use with the younger babies?

Airstreamlady
NFSA Member

Postby Airstreamlady » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:07 pm

I'm just now learning of this. I'm so sorry. Tom, you did the very best anybody could have done. Please don't beat yourself up over it. I know it's hard but that lesson is invaluable too. Nothing will bring the babies back but it will help some in the future too. My hats off to you. You are so dedicated and very, very well respected around here.
- Patti -

The Official Poopologist

Squammy to Peaches and Sweet Pea

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:38 pm

I am so sorry, Tom but think of all the others that would never have been given a second chance if it had not been for you, like Tom-Tom and Powder. I know this is hard on you, but you did your best and that's all you could do....
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.

Kay
NFSA Member

Postby Kay » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:35 pm

Chiming in with support for all you do. This has been a rough year for our grays here.
kay

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:39 pm

Kay, there has been a viral outbreak killing greys around Jacksonville. I'm really interested in getting more info from Tom's vet on these pups.
Seems he indentified bacteria, virus and fungi. Knowing what specific ones will help us figure it out better.
Last edited by Joan on Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meddy7
NFSA Member

Postby Meddy7 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:57 pm

Tom, you are in my thoughts and prayers. Are there any updates?

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:01 pm

Unfortunately, the last pup, Black Toes, also died. :(

Meddy7
NFSA Member

Postby Meddy7 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:51 pm

I'm so sorry to hear that. My heart goes out to Tom. He does so much good. Hopefully he will be able to see through to the good even in this loss. Were they able to find out what specific pathogens (fungi, virus, bacteria) were causing the illness?
"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~ Immanual Kant

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:54 pm

I am so sorry about Black Toes....I know Tom did the best he could.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:23 pm

Meddy7 wrote:... Were they able to find out what specific pathogens (fungi, virus, bacteria) were causing the illness?

Not yet, his vet is on vacation.

Return to “Rehabbers Retreat”