Need food advice for baby bunny rescue

A place for rehabbers to consult with one another.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

Mary
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Need food advice for baby bunny rescue

Postby Mary » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:44 pm

I am very sorry but I have been looking for a rehabber in my area to get help. So far I am at a dead end.
I will try again tomorrow but for tonight I would like a question answered on feeding.

If it is done nursing, how much clover and greens does she need so she is not hungry? Should I still try to feed her the kitty formula? (KMR)

This baby is about 5 inches long. She still has a white mark on her forhead. I am guessing that it is about 4 weeks. Maybe 5 at most. Very small.

This baby cottontale is doing great. I do think it is off formula, but I did give t
her some formula yesterday. It seemed to help him/her alot. She was hopping around the cage last night. Also trying to escape tonight.

I put some kale leaves, clover flowers and grass in the cage last night. She ate most of it. Surprised me.

Thanks for any info.
Again I am sorry-she is not a FS.
Mary

Judy C.

Re: Need food advice for baby bunny rescue

Postby Judy C. » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:40 pm

Mary, I have not rehabbed very many bunnies, so don't feel qualified to give any advice. But if you will get on The Squirrel Board, there will be people there than can help you. The link is under my signature. There are a lot of rehabbers there and many of them have done bunnies. Good luck to you.

Judy C.

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:31 am

Thanks Judy,

I did not give it a bottle last night. I did put extra kale etc in the cage since he is eating on his own so good.
He is very active this morning, trying to escape. I think he misses his mommy.
The Rehabber number I got, they never answer the phone.

I will call my Vet today and maybe they can help find a Rehabber in the area. This one is going to make it.

Thanks again.
Mary

lynn
Flying Furball

Postby lynn » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:09 pm

Is the bunny sitting up to look around? Twisting her ears? She is ready for release RIGHT NOW. When a baby cottontail is ready to go (at 19 days old) you can't wait. They are famous for dying in care waiting for the right day, time, weather, etc. Give her about an hour before dusk and let her go near some nice grassy area with good cover.
Lynn's spastic nuts: Bunpei, Boeing, Calypso, Dixie, and Piper.

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:43 pm

lynn wrote:Is the bunny sitting up to look around? Twisting her ears? She is ready for release RIGHT NOW. When a baby cottontail is ready to go (at 19 days old) you can't wait. They are famous for dying in care waiting for the right day, time, weather, etc. Give her about an hour before dusk and let her go near some nice grassy area with good cover.

I released the bunny about 2 nights ago. I finally had gotten in touch with the Rehab lady and she said if its ears are standing up then they are ready to be released.I made sure it had a full belly.
I released her in the woods behind my house. There are wild rabbits that eat at my brothers feeder who lives beside me. I hope the little one gets their cent and finds the feeder. We do have alot of clover etc around here so it should not go hungry.
I have to admit I had a couple tears because it was so small. I have not seen it since but hope it will survive.

It is a great feeling knowing she was doing so good here and now is where she belongs. Running free, even if I am a little worried about her.

Mary

lynn
Flying Furball

Postby lynn » Tue May 12, 2009 8:17 am

Congratulations, Mary! It is really hard sometimes to release animals that we have grown attached to. Even after 20 years, I get the occasional 'special' animal that is very hard to boot out of the house. Also, kudos for doing so well with a baby bunny. They are the hardest for most people to raise. You must have the calm, peaceful attitude that makes bunnies feel safe!

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Tue May 12, 2009 9:13 am

lynn wrote:Congratulations, Mary! It is really hard sometimes to release animals that we have grown attached to. Even after 20 years, I get the occasional 'special' animal that is very hard to boot out of the house. Also, kudos for doing so well with a baby bunny. They are the hardest for most people to raise. You must have the calm, peaceful attitude that makes bunnies feel safe!

Thanks Lynn. I was just lucky this time it was not caught by a cat.

It was so hard to release it but it did not belong to me. I must admit I could not help but cuddle it at feeding time and it would lay so quiet in my hands. Close its eyes and enjoy the gentle but short petting time.

I have not seen it since it was released. I can only hope it is ok.
My brother has not seen the baby at the feeder either. We have alot of dandelines, tall grass and clover here and the woods has many hiding places.
I put "food" at the place where I release it but it never came back there. I still keep looking for it. There is alot of wild bunnies out here so it still can be ok.

Mary

lynn
Flying Furball

Postby lynn » Tue May 12, 2009 10:42 am

You won't see him while he is still this small. Bunnies can eat almost anywhere, since they eat grass and other vegetation, so he can stick to long grass and heavy brush to hide until he is more mature. The cat-caught ones need medication immediately, but can be fixed up and turned loose quite often. While I hope you don't get any more, I'm sure it will happen eventually! You seem to do a great job, so they will find you.

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Tue May 12, 2009 4:17 pm

lynn wrote:You won't see him while he is still this small. Bunnies can eat almost anywhere, since they eat grass and other vegetation, so he can stick to long grass and heavy brush to hide until he is more mature. The cat-caught ones need medication immediately, but can be fixed up and turned loose quite often. While I hope you don't get any more, I'm sure it will happen eventually! You seem to do a great job, so they will find you.

Funny you should say that. A neighbor girl just left here. Her boyfriend was mowing their yard and hit a nest and killed one. There is 3 babies left so I told her to put them back in the nest. The mother will be back for them tonight. To keep an eye on them and if she doesn't come back in a day or two then I will take them in.

I have taken in quite a few chipmunks and birds and one flying squirrel (FS did not make it from a bad cat bite), for around 6 years, I think.

I am kind of new at bunny's but I will learn. I have only rescued a few.

My Vet is a Wildlife Vet, so I am very lucky.

Thank You
Mary

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Tue May 12, 2009 4:26 pm

Mary wrote: ... My Vet is a Wildlife Vet, so I am very lucky.

Boy, you sure are. Wildlife is an elective in Vet school and few take it as they have so much to study anyway.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Tue May 12, 2009 6:33 pm

Joan wrote:
Mary wrote: ... My Vet is a Wildlife Vet, so I am very lucky.

Boy, you sure are. Wildlife is an elective in Vet school and few take it as they have so much to study anyway.

I really like this Vet Clinic. They are so nice and caring, answering any questions so you understand etc. They even give you special phone numbers to call for any problems. The DVM's want you to call them and not the office phone once they have seen the animal.

It's Barberton Veterinary Clinic in Norton Ohio.

Yes I am very Lucky.
Mary

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Mon May 25, 2009 4:46 am

Update on Baby Bunny.

I had released it inbetween my house and my brothers house in our back woods, on the edge on our property. The bunny has made it's home in a tree branch pile in my brothers back yard. He had just had a tree cut down almost 2 weeks ago. I don't know where it stayed before the tree was cut down. Bob is having the pile removed later this week and it will have to find a new branch pile to hide in. That won't be a problem. There are a "few" branch piles around and many places to hide in our back yard woods.

The bunny has tripled in size but is still small. I go down to visit every day now. It is eating all day on his grass etc. She stays her distance from you but is not afraid of us humans sitting a couple feet from her. We don't bother her but watch as she eats. Most bunny's avoid being in the open while they feed but this little one hops around looking for more grass and clover like you are not there.

Maybe it was that extra hug and kiss I gave it before I released it. Bob says it is my bunny. Kind of warms my heart to see it doing good. So far It has avoided the neighbors cat that runs free 24/7.

Mary

lynn
Flying Furball

Postby lynn » Tue May 26, 2009 10:05 am

That's such a great release story! :B-fly:
It should help calm people's fears that bunnies are too small to release at that size. On the contrary, they really must go. And how cool that you get to see him frequently! I just love a happy ending.

Moca
Flying Furball

Postby Moca » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:14 am

Just to be safe,provide some probiotics;
http://www.rabbitmart.com/shop/index.ph ... page-16329
And here is my wild diet.
Weaning bunnies,bith wild and domesticated can be started on this straight away:
Timothy and alfalfa and orchard grass hay.
Below is what's included in the wild diet:

Grass stuck in a wood block..In the dish,there might be tender,young rose leaves,dandelion.

Willow stems with leaves,honeysuckle stems and leaves,grape stems and leaves.

Ageratum,two kinds of fennel, Tender mulberry stems and leaves., Queen Ann's Lace,

ragweed,goldenrod.(snap off the tender,young tops, as they are a favorite .)

There are three kinds of clover here.If your rabbit has sludge,don't offer clover. Also,don't offer crimson clover unless it's been dried out.

I also get ageratum,

Even in the dead of winter,I found i could collect outdoor meals..

No pellets,ever./

From the garden,collards, mint,some parsely,rosemary,oregano,bell peppers,cilantro,Basel.

,lettuce mix,

dill.

Always remember,as you introduce a new food,do it gradually to prevent GI problems.

What not to feed your rabbit;

First of all,I'm astounded at the "crap" companies try to pass as "food" and "treats" in pet shops for small mammals.

They seem to have no clue as to the difference between a herbaviour and an omnaviour,which just astounds me.

In Critter Comforts,i went in and saw treats for rabbits. Said treats had nuts and corn in them. I was astounded.

Corn is a cheap filler and it's starchy/sugary content is very bad for rabbits.Seeds,nuts and corn cannot be digested as the rabbit did not evolve to eat such things...They can,on fact,cause a blockage in their gi tract leading to death.

Who comes up with this crap?

And theren there are yogies..Pure sugar and some milk..Two items that should be avoided at all costs for your bunny.

http://www.heartlandhumane.org/pub.03/? ... t_diet_faq

http://www.hrschicago.org/dietcarefr.html

And then there is Extreme Fruit&Nut!.

All I can say to that is "DUH!!?"

Rabbits are herbivorous not omnarvours. That sort of treat is fine for rats,mice, chipmunks and rats,but not for rabbits.

Here is why;

1. The sugar in it will disrupt the flora already present in the gut allowing the wrong kind of bacteria to grow.

2. Rabbits cannot digest nuts and are very bad for them.

This treat will lead to gi problems and I'd pitch it in the trash. More proof these companies think one size fis all when it comes to pocket pets,which is not true.

All they care about is money and they do not care if this sickens or kills your rabbit.

I will not buy "treats" from a pet shop. Willow gets a blueberry or a bite of some other fruit sometimes,but not often.

Here is more info on a proper diet for your rabbit:

http://www.hrschicago.org/dietcarefr.html

Corn also damages the liver in rats,I expect the same will happen to your squirrels,so if you offer it,only do so as a special treat.
Protect wildlife,keep ye cat indoors.
www.abcbirds.org
:coffee: Moca

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:15 pm

Wow Moca,
Thanks for the good advice and weblinks.
It sure will be usefull the next time a bunny needs help.
All of the bunnies around here just disappeared recently. Guess they are building a winter nests. LOL

Mary

Return to “Rehabbers Retreat”