Esbilac Notice

A place for rehabbers to consult with one another.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Esbilac Notice

Postby Joan » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:21 pm

A note I received from Chris’s Squirrels and More:

PetAg, the manufacturer of Esbilac has changed the process of how the Esbilac is made. This change took place at the end of last year. The ingredients are the same but due to how the formula is processed, this has made the Powdered Esbilac more concentrated than it was; therefore adding additional water for feeding squirrels and other animals may be necessary. At this time, Chris’s Squirrels and More is testing the formula on their own squirrels in rehab. We are mixing the formula at 1 part Esbilac to 2 ½ parts water with success. If you are using Esbilac now and are not experiencing any problems please continue to use it as you are. If you are finding that your animal has loose stools than you may want to change to the above ratio. You may need to add even more water initially starting at 1 part Esbilac to 3 parts water and work down to 1 part Esbilac and 2 ½ parts water. Once again, if you are not having any issues than we do not recommend that you change at this time. The following are the new lot numbers that would be on either the bottom of your can of Esbilac or on the front of your bag depending on the size of formula you are using. If you have any of these lot numbers and you are experiencing loose stools, the above adjustment may be needed.
The lot numbers are as follows:
3528E
0919E
0929E
1639E
Once again, if you are not having any issues with loose stools than you may not need to change anything. Also, keep in mind loose stools may indicate parasites, overfeeding, inconsistencies in blending formula and other causes to consider before adjusting the formula powder to water ratio.
If you find this information confusing or you need any assistance please do not hesitate to contact us toll free @ 877-717-7748 or email us and we will be happy to help you.
Sincerely,
Christina Clark
Owner of Chris’s Squirrels and More, LLC
http://www.squirrelsandmore.com
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Re: Esbilac Notice

Postby flyer_1 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:41 pm

Thanks very good to know, I'm getting a new pup and I'll be doing the whole milk thing again :D
I'm not NUTS I just mimic

R.I.P Taz

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:23 pm

Esbilac Update!!

As many of you may know their have been some issues with Esbilac this summer. Initially it was thought that the Esbilac was too concentrated. It has actually been just the opposite. It has come to our attention that we need to actually bring the formula back into balance by adding an additional fat source.

Please keep in mind that this information is for squirrels only!
This source is listed below:

If you have Multi Milk on hand do this:
1 part powdered esbilac
1/2 part multi milk
2 part water

If you do not have Multi Milk please follow the following:
1 part powdered esbilac
1 part water
1/2 part good quality heavy cream

By using either cream or multi milk to add the additional fat you are also keeping the nutrition correct for squirrels. You should see a noticeable improvement within two days of following this information.

If you need to order Multi Milk you can find it here on our site. Please keep in mind that the Heavy Cream also works excellent.
To purchase Multi Milk click here.

If you are feeding Opossums the correct ration is:
1 Part Esbilac
1 1/2 Part Water
Whether or not the cream is needed should be discussed with the National Opossum Society.

FYI! This esbilac information is coming from an extremely reliable source. This person specializes in squirrel rehab and if I did not trust this opinion than I would not be posting this informaion. I hope it helps anyone that is struggling with the esbilac situation. Chris

If you find this information confusing or you need any assistance please do not hesitate to contact us toll free @ 877-717-7748 or email us and we will be happy to help you.
Sincerely,
Christina Clark
Owner of Chris’s Squirrels and More, LLC
www.squirrelsandmore.com
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:30 pm

If you have Esbilac from these lot numbers (on the can bottom):
3528E
0919E
0929E
1639E

(HWC = heavy whipping cream with 17% fat)
Mix the formula like this:
1 part powder to 1 part water to .5 HWC or 1-1.5
OR
example 1/2 cup power to 1/2 cup water + 1/4 cup HWC
Or
1 cup powder to 1 cup water +1/2 cup HWC

If you don't have the above lot numbers mix it 1 powder to 1.5 water as far as I know for now.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:13 pm

Christina Clark of Chris’s Squirrels and More, LLC posted this item on the Esbilac Issues:
"This has been a big issue where infant squirrels are concerned. With a lot of research and a great deal of help from many rehabbers “tweaking” the Esbilac we were able to get the formula to be as close to mothers milk, regretfully, there were a lot of issues with young squirrels in achieving our goal and including the squirrels that we were caring for ourselves. A new batch of Esbilac has been made and the fat levels are much closer to normal than before. As far as the copper levels are concerned, the Esbilac has been repeatedly tested at reputable labs and the copper is within the normal range. Keep in mind that our animals do need some copper in their diet to meet their nutritional needs.

Other options are also available for squirrel formula such as GME (Goats Milk Esbilac) Liquid Esbilac, and Zoologic Milk Matrix 33/40. If you have any questions about these alternatives than please don’t hesitate to contact me. Squirrels and More is always here to help you with your questions and to help you with any rehab issues. Because of these two issues it has been a very long year for rehabilitators throughout the country.

So, as far as these two very important issues, it’s been a very long year. Squirrels and More is always here to help you with your questions and to help you with any rehab issues."

http://www.Squirrelsandmore.com
Toll Free: 877-717-7748

Return to “Rehabbers Retreat”