Releasing flying squirrel

A place for rehabbers to consult with one another.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

vanier34
Baby Flyer
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Releasing flying squirrel

Postby vanier34 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:28 pm

I found a s.flying squirrel in the back seat of our car, how it got their we don't. It was in bad shape,I brought it back to health, it took about 2 weeks. When I try to release it in the forest on a tree it jumps back on me. What do I do? Could this have been someones pet? It gets real upset if I walk away from it while it's in the cage. :?:

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Releasing flying squirrel

Postby Joan » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:25 am

Sounds like it doesn't want to go. I think you are now owned by a flying squirrel. :wink: They seem to know when someone helps them and a bond will form to that human.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Laurak
Flying Furball

Postby Laurak » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:06 am

Yep! You now have a pet flyer :) If you want it (they are great pets!) if you don't, can you let us know where you are located and we can help you re-home it?

vanier34
Baby Flyer

Postby vanier34 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:41 am

I thank you all so much for your help. This little girl brings so much joy to me. Last night I was laying on my bed watching T.V.and this little flying squirrel {Candy} just laid on my chest for about 30 min. just looking at me. I think finding her was the best thing that could happen in my life. Now I read everything I can about flying squirrels. :D :n00b:

Laurak
Flying Furball

Postby Laurak » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:33 am

Yay!!!

Welcome to the club! It is awesome :)

I would *highly* recommend you read the following two threads, if nothing else:

Nutrition: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2931
Housing: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=194

Providing your flyer with a proper diet (mostly veggies and protein, fruit and in-shell nuts for treats) and proper housing are the two best things you can do for it.

Now let's see some pictures!!

vanier34
Baby Flyer

Postby vanier34 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:31 pm

As you know I've talked about my little Candy. She died yesterday. the vet said she had interal damage.The 3 weeks I had her she brought a lot of joy into my life. Maybe someday I'll be able to get a baby one. Thank you all who have helped me with info. about flying squirrels.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:07 pm

So sorry you lost her! :( You just never can tell with these little critters. I know you gave her a happy time while she was with you. I know she stole your heart.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

vanier34
Baby Flyer

Postby vanier34 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:52 pm

Thank you so much for your kind words. Yes she did and still does have a spot in my heart. Now that I have a very big cage, a ton of books on flying squirrels an a lot of food maybe God will bring another one into my life. Being a widower she brought a lot of joy into my life.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:29 am

Where are you located? Maybe someone near you has a pup.

vanier34
Baby Flyer

Postby vanier34 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:18 am

Thank you so much. I live in Ormond Beach, FL. But I think I need to save up some money so I can be blessed with another one to have in my life. Thank you so much for your time, Brian

Laurak
Flying Furball

Postby Laurak » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:20 am

Aw I'm so sorry :( I know there are a lot of flyer people in Florida, so when you are ready just let us know and I can work to get you hooked up with someone who can get you a flyer.

It was very kind of you to provide the little squirrel a nice home while she was here.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:07 pm

vanier34 wrote:Thank you so much. I live in Ormond Beach, FL. But I think I need to save up some money so I can be blessed with another one to have in my life. Thank you so much for your time, Brian

Brian, keep checking the For Adoption section. These pups are free or a donation. I'm just up the State from you (south of Jacksonville) and know when pups are available in this area.

vanier34
Baby Flyer

Postby vanier34 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:44 pm

Thank you so much, You're an Angel. I will keep checking. Once again, Thank you. :D

Return to “Rehabbers Retreat”