Getting Flyers to take vitamins and calcium.

Tips, experience & advice related to the healthy and not-so-healthy flying squirrel
Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Getting Flyers to take vitamins and calcium.

Postby Joan » Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:57 pm

Getting Flyers to take vitamins and calcium

Moca: Take a baby food jar... Fill it halfway with apple juice and distilled water,a dab of yogurt and a drop of L&M Hamster/Gerbil vitamins. Shake well, offer a bit in a Snapple lid three to five nights a week and make a fresh supply each weekend for the following week. (For calcium) A calcium, mineral and beak block for birds is also good to have on hand... as are deer antlers and cooked bones.

Kay: I do the same. Juice mix and freeze tiny pops in an ice cube tray.. I put them in a tiny dish, frozen, and they're usually gone in the morning.

L&M http://tinyurl.com/8petk in drinking water

Ectotherm http://www.ectotherm.com/calcium.htm
makes a calcium powder in both a vegetable and a fruit flavor.

T- Rex makes a liquid calcium for reptiles that is cricket flavored: http://www.livefoods.co.uk/product_info ... cts_id=561

They also make a liquid vitamin D3 oil called Solar Drops or Moon Drops: http://www.livefoods.co.uk/product_info ... ucts_id=98

Giving straight vitamins or D3 should only be done as a treatment for MBD and under the supervision of a vet or someone with experience in this.

Below is an article on vitamins and minerals and although it is basically relating to reptiles ... iguanas specifically, it contains some interesting facts about supplements:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Conten ... INT&A=1285
Last edited by Joan on Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:30 pm

quote - "T- Rex makes a liquid calcium for reptiles that is cricket flavored"

Aren't you glad you don't have the job of 'taste tester' for T-Rex?

Judy

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:01 am

[quote="Judy C."] ... Aren't you glad you don't have the job of 'taste tester' for T-Rex?

Makes you wonder who does... Or, if they have a talking iguana who reports back. :wink:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Anita Rae
NFSA Member

Postby Anita Rae » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:34 pm

Hmmm, I'm for sure not going to argue with them. If they say it's cricket flavored, I'm just gonna believe it. Does anyone know if the Bone Aid has vitaming d in it?

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:41 pm

[quote="Hushpuppy (Anita)"] ... Does anyone know if the Bone Aid has vitaming d in it?

No, it doesn't.

Anita Rae
NFSA Member

Postby Anita Rae » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:36 pm

That's great. It might be just what I'm looking for because I notice that most of the vitamins have d already in them. I don't want to give double on the d. Joan, do you use it? If so where is the best place to get it?

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:51 pm

[quote="Hushpuppy (Anita)"] ... That's great. It might be just what I'm looking for because I notice that most of the vitamins have d already in them. I don't want to give double on the d.

It does have magnesium & potassium in it.

Joan, do you use it?

I give it to Mishi in her water when she is nursing. She has a choice of it and/or her regular vitamin water

If so where is the best place to get it?

I think I got it at a large pet store in the reptile section ... that's who it's made for. You can also but it on line

jodylin
Juvie Pup
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

calcium

Postby jodylin » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:25 pm

:forthosewhothinkyoung:

Even though a FS about 7-8 weeks old is given a variety of foods rich in calcium and phosphorous, is it still necessary to sprinkle calcium on their food????? If so, how much......and should i still put a liquid vitamin in the water...if so, what kind???? I know the answer is somewhere on this message board but it's really late and I'm desperate! Thanks so much
jody

jodylin
Juvie Pup

Postby jodylin » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:35 pm

:oops:

Thanks much.

I hate to sound ignorant but, even with reading all the material on the web and on this message board, how much would i feed my new one at one feeding???? do you mix food and keep it in the fridge? So, do most people give two bowls of water in the cage???

I appreciate your help...how many flyers do you have? We will be getting our first in a couple of weeks but wonder if a 2nd one will be good......are they okay alone? do males fight?
jody

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:13 am

Darra, you're tired ... go to bed and edit this in the morning. :twisted:

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:53 am

Joan wrote:Darra, you're tired ... go to bed and edit this in the morning. :twisted:

Way to go, Darra!! :smt044 :rofl: :smt043

Judy

jodylin
Juvie Pup

Bone-Aid Liquid Calcium

Postby jodylin » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:48 pm

:oops:

Okay, I feel like a dummy, but i want to get it absolutely right.
I had been putting one drop of the subject liquid in the flyer's water
dish but i have no vitamin supplement.

What is the best way (i also have repti-cal powder) to give a flyer calcium? is one drop sufficient for the water dish or should i use the powder instead on the seed mix (not the fruits or veggies) and use a vitamin supplement in the water instead of the liquid calcium...HELP!

Thanks
jody

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Bone-Aid Liquid Calcium

Postby Joan » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:06 pm

[quote="jodylin"].. I had been putting one drop of the subject liquid in the flyer's water dish but i have no vitamin supplement.

Flyer's like us, need vitD3 (sunshine vitamin) to be able to absorb calcium; so the two need to be given.

What is the best way (i also have repti-cal powder) to give a flyer calcium?

If you are giving Bone-Aid, that will be enough. I still keep a cuttle bone in the cage in case they need more ... they will know. My female will seek out extra when she is pregnany or nursing

is one drop sufficient for the water dish
There should be directions on the bottle, but if not, I use 2 drops per ounce.

or should i use the powder instead on the seed mix (not the fruits or veggies) and use a vitamin supplement in the water instead of the liquid calcium...

You can do that, but the vitamins (D3) are not a substitute for calcium. Both need to be given as they work together.

I am switching to Calcivet which is a liquid calcium with Vit D3 in it. I like the liquid as I can never tell if they eat what I put in their food.
See: http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/viewtopic.php ... t=calcivet

http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/viewtopic.php ... t=calcivet

majcourt
NFSA Member

Postby majcourt » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:29 pm

the power calcium drives me crazy because i cant figure out whether they are getting it or not- lately i have been mixing a little in with the yogurt- and that seems to be working pretty well- that calcium stinks, though- i wouldnt eat it if i were them-

peteypie1

Re: Getting Flyers to take vitamins and calcium.

Postby peteypie1 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:44 am

peteypie i assume has mbd..he's been sick about about a month started giving him tums about 3 days ago..he is very weak any suggestions

lucy10177
NFSA Member

Postby lucy10177 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:44 am

have you tried giving yogurt?

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:12 pm

peteypie1 wrote:peteypie i assume has mbd..he's been sick about about a month started giving him tums about 3 days ago..he is very weak any suggestions

Hi Peteypie1. I have moved your post to Emergency Care Needed, so that it will get more notice. with any luck at all, this link will take you to it.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=8104

You say he has been sick for about a month - sick in what way? Now for a bunch of questions that you need to answer so that we can help you :

How old is he? How long have you had him? What do you feed him each day? any supplements such as vitamins or calcium? Is he still active, or just lying around not wanting to move much? Is he still eating and drinking? How are his pee and poop - any difference in odor, amount, consistancy?

If you will post the answers ASAP, I will keep checking to see if I can figure out what it might be, and how we can best help you.

Judy C.

Return to “FS Health”