Flyer Restraint Holds

Tips, experience & advice related to the healthy and not-so-healthy flying squirrel
Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Flyer Restraint Holds

Postby Joan » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:41 pm

If you ever need to hold your flyer for examination or treatment, here are some holds that work:

You wrap your thumb and trigger finger around the waist tightly or else they will wiggle out.

Actually, they aren't able to bite in this hold or believe me, Chuck would have. LOL Chuck tried to push out with his paws on my fingers and squirming, but it didn't work. Mike Winterrowd, Ph.D., one of the speakers at the ALA conference in 2004 showed us that hold. They used it in the field with wild flyers checked in their research.

The other hold was shown me by a vet and it enables you to examine the chest and head.
You grip the waist in a similar hold to the above EXCEPT you use the thumb and ring finger. The first and second fingers are crooked over the flyer's head holding the head on each side between the fingers. Examination is easier with this hold.

OR, you can use a towel as Dr. Lowry did in this photo:

Last edited by Joan on Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

The Rock's Laura
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby The Rock's Laura » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:42 am

Great holds. They don't work however if you need to check the flyer's belly/chest area.
What the vet did in that case is hold the Rockie by the skin on her back like you would hold a kitten.
There's plenty of skin, you don't hurt the flyers and the flyer becomes immobile.
:love7: I was joyfully owned by
6 1/2 yr old
ROCKIE, a gift in my life.
Rest in Peace my baby boy 9/4/2002 - 5/24/2009

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:51 am

Get a picture next time Laura and we'll post it. I'd love to see that Rockie's fat little belly. :D
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

The Rock's Laura
NFSA Member

Postby The Rock's Laura » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:00 pm

Thankfully he hasn't had to hold her like that since those first two visits back in November. I hope there never is a "next time". She was very scared but it was the only way he could get a good look at her belly and keep her still at the same time. I got her in that hold several times after her visits to ensure she was okay but she is not happy about it. I would consider it a last resort hold. The "lil' burrito" hold is certainly more comfortable for them.

Do your flyers glue their gaze at you when someone else is holding them. It's so endearing how Rockie won't take her eyes off me when the vet is holding her. Even when he just giving her a casual check over with the usual flyer hold she just keeps looking at me with that..."tell me it's okay mom" look on her face. So I do, I tell her everything is okay. Sweet little baby.
:love7: I was joyfully owned by
6 1/2 yr old
ROCKIE, a gift in my life.
Rest in Peace my baby boy 9/4/2002 - 5/24/2009

Debra
NFSA Member

Postby Debra » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:19 pm

that gaze is what our squirrel karen would do to me whenever someone else was trying to pick her up or do something with her. when we took her to the rehabber to get her ready for release I was out of her range of sight. she bit the rehabber and was quite distraught. but soon as i came to the cage and spoke to her she seemed to calm down. only after i spoke did she eat the offered pecans.
i miss her. hard to believe she was only with us for 5 or 6 weeks.
Owned by Dinky the flying furball!!

den942
Juvie Pup

My way..

Postby den942 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:48 pm

Iget my thumb and trigger finger around the neck and under the chin.
They can't bite your thumb or finger. You can use the other three
fingers around the chest and belly. For big squirrels I use my other
hand to hold the hind legs

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:06 am

It is good to see pictures of how to hold the fs. I have been lucky so far and not had to restrain Peanut but I keep thinking about if someday I will need to, I will have some idea how to do this.
I think it is important.
Thank You
Mary

Naya
Flying Furball

Postby Naya » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:17 pm

I just used one of the holds on Boss and my did he throw a fit. He was running all over and wouldnt let me get a good grip on him so I tried that and he just glared at me. He had that 'are you going to let go of me now?' look on his face and when I did he zipped into my sweater and gave me a sharp "CHEEP". Doesnt HE just know how to gloat?

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:35 pm

:roll: I always get repremanded with that sharp "cheep" when I let go of them after holding on to them too.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:43 pm

Well, once you get one ... you better hang on for dear life or kiss a finger or two good-by. :twisted:
Thank goodness we have very little reason to ever need to restrain one. Chuck was NOT happy about being used for a demonstration.

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:28 pm

Thanks for the demo Joan..tell Chuck we thank him profusely for being the demo...I wish I saw this earlier when I first got Isobella...but I guess she'd hate me more if I did use that hold...
Owned by
Madamoiselle Artemis Isobella D'Antionette
Monsoiur Pierre Niagra von Faust (given to my loving boyfriend, Mommy loves you!)

Meeting you was fate; Becoming your friend was a choice; Loving you I had no control over XP

Naya
Flying Furball

Postby Naya » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:39 pm

Note: Do it exactly like that and not the other way around. Gucci nipped my thumb because I had her backwards.

Also, get a firm grip because Boss got smart and wiggled his little legs right out of my hold. Bah, I suck at these holds but thank god I never really have to use them or I'd be in deep doodoo. :bad-words:

Return to “FS Health”