Removing Grease from a Flyer

Tips, experience & advice related to the healthy and not-so-healthy flying squirrel
Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:07 pm

Leah's Method of Bathing:
Hold him gently but firmly and have complete control of him in your hands. If this had happened to me, I would thoroughly wet him down with warm water - careful not too hot - and using baby shampoo wash his fur and rinse well. You have to use common sense here and keep from getting water in his ears, etc, have the room warm, a warm towel close by to wrap him in immediately after the rinse, snuggle him into the towel and hold him close to your body so he doesn't get chilled. Dry him completely. I hesitate to suggest this, because it's not something for any nervous types to attempt - but this is what I would do (and have done) when necessary.

Dennis' Alternative:
If bathing is not an option, corn starch to soak the oil out of the fur works pretty good. If the corn starch is ingested it won't be a problem. Powder him down good and brush him out with a tooth brush. They usually like being brushed. And repeat the process. You might even put some corn starch in his nest to get out more oil as he sleeps.
Last edited by Joan on Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moca
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby Moca » Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:10 pm

When i worked as a rehabber,on birds we used Dawn. Diluted Dawn would also work.
Protect wildlife,keep ye cat indoors.
www.abcbirds.org
:coffee: Moca

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:23 pm

I would think that cornmeal would also work, and might be easier to brush out. Thankfully, I have not had to test it out yet!

Judy

Return to “FS Health”