Flyer Teeth

Tips, experience & advice related to the healthy and not-so-healthy flying squirrel
Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Flyer Teeth

Postby Joan » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:05 pm

Six Days later

Flyer teeth turn an orange color with age. Only pups have white teeth. Even small pups need to "work on" hard shelled nuts. Shell them first, then just crack them, but eventually they need to gnaw them open. Their front teeth grow their entire life (like beavers), gnawing nuts open helps keep them worn down. If the teeth get over grown, the squirrel cannot eat. Chewing on antlers, femur bones, calcium balls, pumice blocks, cuttle bones, etc will also help keep teeth trimmed.

Teeth Too Long
It is best to use toenail clippers as they cut a clean piece instead of crushing the tooth as a guillotine clipper will do. Any vet who has experience with rodent teeth will know what to do. They use a special clipper that does not shatter the tooth, rather it quickly clips it. Also, there is no nerve in their teeth, not like our teeth anyway. If they clip it too low they can cut the quick sort of like animal toenails too low and the tooth will bleed and could damage the root but there is no nerve. It will not hurt the flyer.

Photos provided by sundown127
Info on teeth provided by The Rock's Laura
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby Nativeprincess » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:50 pm

How long is too long? Is the 2nd picture an indication of when to start getting worried or to bust out the nail clippers?

The Rock's Laura
NFSA Member

Postby The Rock's Laura » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:29 pm

Nativeprincess wrote:How long is too long? Is the 2nd picture an indication of when to start getting worried or to bust out the nail clippers?

Oh God, you don't even want to go there !!!

Unless something strange happens flyers know when and how to keep their teeth trim. I wouldn's mess with them unless it was absolutely positively the worse case scenario.
:love7: I was joyfully owned by
6 1/2 yr old
ROCKIE, a gift in my life.
Rest in Peace my baby boy 9/4/2002 - 5/24/2009

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball

Postby Nativeprincess » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:38 pm

well, Rogues are remarkably long. and I fear shes not keeping them down on her own. Im thinking of taking her to a vet but I don't know if this is nessassary because I dont know what normal is. I do know that her teeth are longer than the ones in the picture.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:12 pm

Your flyer will take care of filing the teeth down. I hear Mishi chewing on old hickory nuts in her nest box. Normal length teeth can look like they're going to impale the flyer's brain. :twisted:

If there is something wrong with the teeth, the flyer will not be able to eat correctly and you'll notice weight loss and her "not looking right".
Last edited by Joan on Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball

Postby Nativeprincess » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:13 pm

oh, ok. shes good on the weight, and she looks good. only thing I noticed is she no longer eats walnuts.
So Im not gonna worry about it untill somthing changes then ^_^

Wanda
NFSA Member

Postby Wanda » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:34 pm

"I USE CREST WHITE STRIPS!! CAN YOU TELL"

Wanda
:flyer:
Owned by Shelly, Rose
:smt049 Peanut, Bud & Dinky Always In My Heart :smt049
Parrot, Miniature Donkey & 1 human
And All My Lil Orphans

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:36 pm

Go to your room Wanda and quit harassing those furballs. :roll:

Wanda
NFSA Member

Postby Wanda » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:38 pm

I just couldn't resist. I'm sitting here with tears from laughing so hard.
You mean little Furbutts, don't you?
Wanda
:flyer:
Owned by Shelly, Rose
:smt049 Peanut, Bud & Dinky Always In My Heart :smt049
Parrot, Miniature Donkey & 1 human
And All My Lil Orphans

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:04 pm

Somebody photo-shop those choppers gleaming white for us! We want to have a picture in our heads to fantisize about when we are smooching our orange-toothed rodent's lips :twisted:

sundown127
Juvie Pup

Postby sundown127 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:16 pm

Those pics are of my Rocky, a wild flyer that I found injured. Unbalanced from an apparent head injury. When I got him, I noticed one lower tooth was much shorter than the other one. Then, a week or so later, I noticed the other one was short too, and it looked like both had gotten broken off, as the ends were jagged, and the lower teeth did not come close to meeting the upper teeth. He could also no longer open sunflower seeds, or even eat very well at all. The first pic is of when I realized both his bottom teeth were way too short to eat properly.

By 6 days later, I checked his teeth, and found out how incredibly fast they grow back!! So I took the second pic of him. Joan put them both in this section, in a separate thread about teeth. So that second pic is NOT to show teeth that are overly long, but rather to show how fast they can grow! In fact, his teeth are even longer now, a week later. But since they do not push into the roof of his mouth when his mouth is closed, I am not worried about them (at least not yet).

ravenqueen
NFSA Member

Postby ravenqueen » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:44 pm

Thanks for the pictures! I was getting concerned that Puck's teeth are too long, but I guess I don't need to worry. What I am worried about is that I was able to open his mouth (now that I can handle him again) and he let me get a nice, long look at his teeth. His bottom teeth were not lined up and touching like the picture. They didn't look like they were splaying to the sides, but they had a "V" shaped gap between them. I can try to get a picture when I get home...but do you all think I should be concerned?

The Rock's Laura
NFSA Member

Postby The Rock's Laura » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:33 am

ravenqueen wrote:Thanks for the pictures! I was getting concerned that Puck's teeth are too long, but I guess I don't need to worry. What I am worried about is that I was able to open his mouth (now that I can handle him again) and he let me get a nice, long look at his teeth. His bottom teeth were not lined up and touching like the picture. They didn't look like they were splaying to the sides, but they had a "V" shaped gap between them. I can try to get a picture when I get home...but do you all think I should be concerned?

I wouldn't be too concerned. Rockie had an issue with teeth when she was ill so we were watching them closely. I mentioned to the vet exactly what are referring to because one day I would look at her teeth and they'd be splaying and othe next day lined up. He said that rodent teeth have some movement, they are not fixed like our teeth.

Forget everything you "think" about teeth when thinking about rodent teeth......it's like apples and oranges.
:love7: I was joyfully owned by
6 1/2 yr old
ROCKIE, a gift in my life.
Rest in Peace my baby boy 9/4/2002 - 5/24/2009

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:30 am

Thank goodness we have our own HOF dental expert. :D

ravenqueen
NFSA Member

Postby ravenqueen » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:10 pm

Thanks so much for responding! It's hard to know what's "right" and "wrong" when dealing with species so different from your own. :) I feel much better. I knew I shouldn't worry too much by the way he was attacking his nuts last night....man, was he into it!

ravenqueen
NFSA Member

Postby ravenqueen » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:15 pm

Um, that sounded funny. I meant his tree nuts. ;) He doesn't have the other kind anymore. :D

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:16 pm

ravenqueen wrote: He doesn't have the other kind anymore. :D

No wonder! :twisted:

Joan
Site Admin

Clipping a Chipmunk's teeth

Postby Joan » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:56 pm

The same method would work for flyers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovgLozaAYbc

immatater
Flying Furball

Re: Flyer Teeth

Postby immatater » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:34 pm

Something tells me that that would NOT be as easy as he makes it look. :twisted:

Diamond8822

Re: Flyer Teeth

Postby Diamond8822 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:42 pm

I sure am glad that it is normal for them to have a yellowish tint to their teeth cause i was gettilng worried for my flyer

Return to “FS Health”