Trim Trax: Fabulous, but a CAUTION for younger flyers

Tips, experience & advice related to the healthy and not-so-healthy flying squirrel
aMartyrsHeart
NFSA Member
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Trim Trax: Fabulous, but a CAUTION for younger flyers

Postby aMartyrsHeart » Sun May 04, 2008 9:47 am

I just wanted to share my experience with the Trim Trax that attaches to the stealth wheel.
I bought Pikachu one of the full size Stealth Wheels and put it in his cage. I also had the trim trax attached because my neck area looked like I had been strangled with barbed wire almost. Well, the first 2 days he didn't get in it at all.

The third day, I got Pika out in the afternoon to play and he ran all up and down my jeans shirt etc. and ran all around the room playing, like usual. I gave him a honeysuckle vine when it was time to put him up.

Later that night when I went in to play with him, there was a honeysuckle flower in the wheel. I was so excited that he had been in there! BUT, when he hopped out of the cage on to my shirt, he could barely hold on. He tried to run down my jeans, but he slipped all the way to the floor. He seemed really freaked out that he couldn't hold on nearly as good as he used to. He has no trouble climbing all around the cage because his little toes can grab the wire. I immediately took the trim trax off of the wheel when I noticed he couldn't grab my jeans anymore. I'm sure he didn't run for the full 2 hours, but that was the time difference since the last time we played when he didn't have trouble. I feel bad that he's scared and can't grab onto things like he could before and I worry he may grab something he can't hold onto and fall and get hurt.

I think this only happened because he is still a baby, only about 15 weeks old or so and their toenails are more fragile than an adult flyer. The trim trax worked great, and it did what it was supposed to do, but I didn't think about his nails being more fragile at a younger age.

For an adult flyers more hardened nails I think this will be the perfect solution to the sharp claws. I just wanted to post my experience so people can monitor their younger flyers more closely with the trim trax attached to the wheel. He's adjusting well though and he's already back to his old self, minus the pointy toenails. :)
Arien G.
HOF to Pikachu
--------------
Wifey to: Derek - married 8 years
Mommy to: Nevaeh (Human girl) - 4 years old
:animaldog: P-Nut and :animaldog: Casey (ChiWeenies)
--------------
R.I.P. Snap (Southern Flying Squirrel)

lynn
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Re: Trim Trax: Fabulous, but a CAUTION for younger flyers

Postby lynn » Sun May 04, 2008 8:11 pm

Yeah, I wondered about that! I just answered a post to the question about trimming nails . . . I've used the Trim Trax too, but my guys are older and it worked fine. Good to be cautious, I think!
Lynn's spastic nuts: Bunpei, Boeing, Calypso, Dixie, and Piper.

Anita Rae
NFSA Member

Postby Anita Rae » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:46 am

aMartyrsHeart , TY for posting this. I just wish someone would have contacted me. We take safety very seriously.

First I should make absolutely sure that you put the sand paper on the outside of the wheel, not on the inside of the wheel? I am assuming that you did that.

We've sold thousands of TrimTrax and we've only had a problem once before. But, it was a problem that is similar to what you are desribing except it was with a glider. I talked to the owner and we decided that it was some sort of fluke or maybe just the way that particular glider ran on the wheel. And she tried just putting one of the sheets on the wheel and that seemed to help. But the thing that I never thought of is that it might be because the animals are young and their nails are soft.

So if you tell me that you put them on corredtly, I think I need to put a warning on the site and the packaging to keep a close eye on the young ones. Let me know. Please feel free to contact me about safety issues. Saftey is something that I just won't mess around with. I want to know about stuff like this.

aMartyrsHeart
NFSA Member

Postby aMartyrsHeart » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:53 am

Hi, and I'm sorry Anita! I should have sent you a PM too about it. Yes, I attached them to the outside of the wheel like the instructions said to do. And don't get me wrong, I LOVE them, I just have to watch Pika a little more closely now when I put them on. They definitely saved my skin! Maybe a caution on the site would be good. I still love the product, I just don't leave them on all the time.

By the way, thanks for such an amazing product. Pikachu LOVES his Stealth Wheel! He spends hours a day in it flipping all around and trying out new tricks, and its SILENT. I never hear a thing!
Arien G.
HOF to Pikachu
--------------
--------------

Anita Rae
NFSA Member

Postby Anita Rae » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:04 am

Thanks, I will go ahead and put a caution out. I sure wouldn't want anyones baby to get their nails worn too short. And thanks again for the heads up and for your kind words.

aMartyrsHeart
NFSA Member

Postby aMartyrsHeart » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:09 am

You're very welcome.
Arien G.
HOF to Pikachu
--------------
--------------

Return to “FS Health”