Should I be concerned?

Tips, experience & advice related to the healthy and not-so-healthy flying squirrel
pappy1264
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Should I be concerned?

Postby pappy1264 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:16 pm

Luna has developed a bald 'stripe' that runs down the middle of her tail (the 'topside, you can see when she is looking at you). It run right down the middle and is new. What could be causing this? Lately she has been very picky eating and won't touch much else besides nuts and a mealworm. Her fruits/veggies go untouched most nights. Is this normal? The skin isn't irritated or red, but it is literally a bald line that runs down the center of her tail (actually her whole tail looks less fluffy than normal to me.) Could she be sick? Her weight is good (she is actually a little chunky). Please help!
Mary

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Should I be concerned?

Postby Joan » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:48 pm

Mishi has gotten that before and Chuck too, I think. It's either from repeative rubbing .... getting in an out of a wooden nest box, etc. ... or a weird molt. It should go away with time.

"HELP, I'm stuck in an apple and can't get out!"
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

pappy1264
Flying Furball

Postby pappy1264 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:20 pm

Ok, thanks. She has pouches, nest boxes and runs in and out of them hiding nuts all the time! lol The skin looks fine but I wanted to make sure she was ok!
Mary

Anita Rae
NFSA Member

Postby Anita Rae » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:55 am

Mary, I have a little girl that does that every summer. The first time it happened, I freaked. I changed diet, super cleaned cages and nest boxes, and the works. Then it went away and I gave myself a big pat on the back thinking I had won the battle with the tail fur loss. Now she is almost 6 years old and I just expect it to happen in the summer and I know it will go away before fall. Other that that, she is healthy and full of engergy and she thinks she rules the roost.

pappy1264
Flying Furball

Postby pappy1264 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:01 pm

Ok, so I guess I don't need to rush her to the vets, than! lol Anita, could I talk to you sometime on the phone? I have some questions (re: your pm on GC). Thanks!
Mary

immatater
Flying Furball

Postby immatater » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:12 pm

Penny's tail does the same thing. At first her HOF was worried too. Luckily she told me that its a yearly thing or else I might have been in a panic as well. ;)

pappy1264
Flying Furball

Postby pappy1264 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:47 pm

Well, I am glad there is nothing 'wrong' with her. Thank you!
Mary

pappy1264
Flying Furball

Postby pappy1264 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:38 pm

Something strange happened....I posted this earlier and it was here now its gone.....oh well, here we go again.

Where Luna lost the fur down her tail, the skin is no longer pink, but has turned black/grey. I cannot see any fur there coming in, either. Is this normal? Should she be seen? I hate to stress her, as she is not user friendly. But I want to make sure she is ok. She has not lost weight (well, doesn't look like she has), eats well, plays, everything is the same, except her tail. Any help is appreciated.
Mary

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:11 pm

I moved it to the non-emergency area and notified the ER team.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

pappy1264
Flying Furball

Postby pappy1264 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:07 pm

Thank you! I just posted over there. Its fine, tonight it is completely furry! Little stinker sure scared me!!! lol
Mary

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:15 pm

They'll do that.
I bet the black was new fur coming in. If you look at the roots of the flyers' fur, it's dark.

pappy1264
Flying Furball

Postby pappy1264 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:51 am

Yes, it was. Her tail is completely furred back in this morning! I am so glad I don't have to rush her into the vets. I KNOW it would not be a good experience for anyone involved!!! Thank you!
Mary

pappy1264
Flying Furball

Re: Should I be concerned? (pt 2)

Postby pappy1264 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:26 pm

Well, I had posted back in June about Luna losing fur down the middle of her tail. It did grow back in....but now it is there again. Should I have her seen by my exotic vet? She is a picky eater and prefers nuts to anything (although will eat some fruits and veggies). Her weight is good, but her tail has me concerned. Anyone have any ideas???? Thanks.
Mary

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:35 pm

Flyers molt twice a year.

pappy1264
Flying Furball

Postby pappy1264 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:48 pm

I don't think this is a molt. It is still there. She seems fine, eats (although is as always, picky as can be) well. She has never 'tamed' and does not like to be handled. I do take her in the tent so she gets out of cage time, but because I have four dogs and her not being tame, I can't let her 'loose' so to speak. The skin does not look pink or irratated, but the fur has still not come in (I have seen her molt, where you see the fur 'thin' on her body), although not this year, only last year at this time. I am going to see if my exotic vet will see her, just to be safe. Her weight is good, her eyes are bright, she has no issues with climbing or jumping, her poo is normal. Her tail is just concerning to me. Any ideas?
Mary

pappy1264
Flying Furball

Postby pappy1264 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:22 pm

Ok, here are pics, just taken, of Luna and the fur loss on her tail (see above post). What do you think, does it look concerning? How does she look overall?

Sorry I don't know how to add pics directly, but here is my dropshots page with her pics (as well as pics of her cage as it is now). Thanks

http://www.dropshots.com/pappy1264#
Mary

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:05 pm

I sent the picture to Dennis Q and here's what he said, "My squirrels that go in and out of the nest box through the
hinged lid, instead of the hole, all look like that. The lid drops on their tail going in and out and rubs the fur off. So, it could be rubbing that is taking it off."

And come to think of it, I think Mishi gets that when she's pregnant and almost too fat to get in the nest box hole.

pappy1264
Flying Furball

Postby pappy1264 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:15 pm

She doesn't have a nest box, only pouches. Hmmmmmm.........
Mary

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:44 pm

Does she do backflips?

pappy1264
Flying Furball

Postby pappy1264 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:03 pm

Nope, never. Did you see the pic of her cage (it is on that dropshots page below the pics of her tail.?
Mary

Return to “FS Health”