different foods to introduce-dehydrated chicken?

Tips, experience & advice related to the healthy and not-so-healthy flying squirrel
Pico
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

different foods to introduce-dehydrated chicken?

Postby Pico » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:56 pm

Hi everyone! I have been doing some reading and have some questions that maybe you experienced flyer owners may be able to shed some light on.
Has anyone fed dehydrated chicken no additives (found at the pet store)? I have read it is a good source of protein for them....yet I find it an odd source since they wouldn't necessarily be eating chicken in the wild.
Also fox valley formula with heavy cream being fed periodically was another "food" I read about.
I think I may be over doing the fruits and need to focus a little more on proteins-mealworms....currently he is getting just a couple a day....but maybe he needs more? Any other readily available insects out there at pet stores?
I found that I am probably over doing banana chips--too much sugar....he LOVES them....but I don't want him to be a fatty!! Pico gets nuts here and there and has a bird feed mix with sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and random little bird seeds. (discovered he has been stashing a lot more of his food than I thought ....)
Advice welcomed!!
thanks
Marcie

Joan
Site Admin

Re: different foods to introduce-dehydrated chicken?

Postby Joan » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:51 pm

Pico wrote:... Has anyone fed dehydrated chicken

I've given dehydrayed chicken strips. Some like it, some don't. So, what else is new. :wink:

Pico wrote:... yet I find it an odd source since they wouldn't necessarily be eating chicken in the wild.

But they eat birds and bird eggs. Just ask the Blue Bird people!

Pico wrote:... Any other readily available insects out there at pet stores?

You can try crickets. Catch your own moths, dragonflies and cicadas.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:37 pm

I feed my flyers 'Chicken Chips' and 'Chicken Poppers', which are dog treats. The first is 100% dried chicken white meat. The second is dried Chicken and Rice. Neither has any additives. For the most part, my flyers like both of them. But their favorite seems to be 'Freeze Dried Chicken', which is also a dog treat. It is rather expensive if you are feeding a lot of flyers, so I buy mine in bulk from one of those 'survival supply' stores on line. I have seen mine go for a piece of freeze dried chicken instead of a piece of pecan!

When you get right down to it, we all feed our flyers things that they would not find in the wild - a VERY large number of things. Vegetables and fruits that are not grown locally, cuttle bone, yogurt, etc. (Just as we, ourselves, eat things that are 'foreign' to us.) But I also 'harvest' a lot of wild foods in season, and my flyers are always thrilled with them. I will sometimes even bring them in an old rotting branch, and they have a ball tearing it up and eating the bugs they can find in it.

I guess basically, I feed my flyers anything that is not harmful to them. I do a good bit of research to see what is and isn't good for them, and I also trust in their instinctive knowledge of what is OK to eat.

Judy C.

Pico

Postby Pico » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:40 pm

Pico went crazy for the chicken. I gave him a little piece earlier and he munched on it for a loooooong time. He chose is over everything else in his foodbowl! Is it ok to feed mushrooms every day? Don't wanna throw off any vit. D calcium balance! He is a REALLY good little eater....just wished we would exercise more (I know i sounds a little crazy with him being a flying squirrel)...But I think I got a little guy that wishes he could eat cheatos and bon bons in front of the tv all day!
Marcie

Return to “FS Health”